• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mountain biking the VDLP Sept 2018

Ingrid T

Time of past OR future Camino
2014 Frances, Portugues (2016), Del Norte, Portugues, VDLP Sept 2018,Paris, Arles,Madrid (2019)
Hi
I am planning to cycle (MB) from 26th Aug 2018 from San Sebastian to Santiago, back down to Porto then onwards to Lisbon. From Lisbon I will then ride over to Seville then make my way back up to Santiago via Sanabres. I would like to know if its possible to ride the same route as the walkers from Seville to Santiago. I have read I could take the motorways but I would prefer to go the way of the walkers. I wont be starting the Seville route until around 16th Sept. Can anyone also inform me as to weather in Sept. Hoping to be back in Santiago by Sept 30th. Look forward to any replies.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Ingrid T I'm just back from the VdlP. I saw cyclists but would say no, you could not ride exactly the same route as the walkers all the way - there are some sections where it would be almost impossible to do so.

Since the cars and trucks take the A66 and A52 motorways the smaller roads are often deserted and these track the Vdlp the whole way, so I think you would always have a safe alternative.

On sections of the track where it is narrow or would be difficult for a bicycle, in the interests of safety for pedestrians, it is kind and thoughtful to take a road alternative.

It’s possible, but may not be desirable either for you or for walkers. I cycled the VdlP/Sanabres this May/June, sometimes on the walkers’ path but mostly on the minor roads Kanga recommends. I ride a heavy-duty touring bike, and my respect for the welfare of walkers - and my tyres - influences my choice of route. The main impediments for cyclists on the path are thick mud and floods, which may immobilise you, farm gates, which will require you to dismount, and diversions that sometimes involve removing the panniers and carrying the bike. The few cyclists I encountered on the route were mainly local mountain bikers on unladen bikes.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks Kanga/Paladina. I will definitely take alternative routes along motorways if need be. I am an experienced road/touring cyclist and have just done the whole of my country (NZ)called Tour Aotearoa and found parts where walking the bike was definitely necessary if you wanted to come out of it safely. Another question is I have bought the Gerald Kelly book VDLP and Camino Sanabres. Is there an alternative cyclist book for the VDLP. I have read some threads of other cyclists having already done this but would be keen to get a cycling book. Thanks again for your thoughts..

I used Riccardo Latini’s A Santiago lungo la Via Della Plata e il Cammino Sanabrese, bought at a bargain price from the blessed Ivar. This is the only guide I know of that caters for both walkers and cyclists, and the text indicates the difficulties you may encounter on a bike - the mud and floods are seasonal hazards; the rough terrain is permanent - and proposes an alternative route where necessary. The information is clearly and concisely presented - no mystical paths or extraneous details to distract you - and the maps are easy to follow as you ride, so even if you can’t read Italian you can still see where you are (or should be) going. There is also a Spanish guide specifically for mountain bikers, La Via de la Plata en btt, but its odd format suggests it’s intended to be stashed in your back pocket rather than displayed in the map pocket of your bar bag. As an experienced road/touring cyclist, by the time you’ve ridden from San Sebastián, via Porto, Lisbon, Seville to Santiago, you should be well positioned to supply an English-language cycling guide of your own. Buen Camino bicigrina!

Thanks again Paladina. I shall make contact with Ivar on the above book. Google translate will be able to keep me on track if need be. I will also keep a diary for future reference for other bicigrino's/bicigrina's. Will hope to update on the forum when I can once Ive started the journey. Cheers Ingrid.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ingrid I rode the Frances in September 2017, we started on 2nd in blazing heat and finished 17 days later in 3 layers of clothes! In between we had warm days and also some cold in the mountains- in short take a bit of everything! Your experience on the Tour indicates you'll be well prepared and equipped- have a great ride - pedal hard pedal safe

Hello, Ingrid,
we are planning the tour from Seville to SDC for next March. It would be great if you could share your experience with us. It would only be our 3 tour and we are very grateful for tips. Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Snoopy. I can definitely tell you all about it once I have completed my camino and gotten back to the realities of life. Will get in touch later. Cheers

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from AlmerĂ­a. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back