• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Camino Sept 14th 2006

maggie

Hi everyone:
My Camino starts on the 14th Septmber this current year. I am excited and apprehensive, not being sure I can make it through the hard uphill climb of the first day from St John de P de P. :? But I have determination on my side!
Any advice for the trip would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Maggie

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Maggie, take your time !

As I also started from St Jean in Sep 2005, I stopped at the fine hostal in Orrison (half way to Roncesvales); jet lag was having an effect !
The following morning everything was ok and the way to Roncesvales was a "breeze"... You can see my walk to Burgos at http://www.quicomulysse.com/compostelle.html

I wish you a buen camino, lots of nice encounters and many grapes on the way, at least until past Logrono.

Hey Maggie! I'll be starting around that time from SJPP and was also a little unsure of that first big day. I found out about a really nice pilgrim's hostel that you can stay in that breaks up the first day. I'm definitley planning to stop there if I'm feeling too tired. I hear they have a goregeous view from their front observation deck and that warrants a stop in my book! I have the name of the hostel at home, I'll post it later. Or if anyone else knows the name of it on the forum, they can let you know too.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello,

The climb from SJPP to Roscasvelles is bigger than anything I have done before, and the prospect does worry me a little as well. I'm fit and 50, but don't want to spoil things for the rest of the Camino by overdoing it on the first day.

I'll be starting from SJPP on the morning of Sunday 10 September. I will have travelled from Paris on the sleeper train and won't get to SJPP until 9:30am, so stopping before Roncasvelles would suit me fine, thanks for the suggestion to Sunseng and Ulysse.

One question - may seem a bit trivial, but will I be able to buy cold food for lunch at SJPP on a Sunday???

David

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
hey marj,

i will actually be arriving SJPdP sometime during the last week of september. perhaps we will cross paths!

buen camino!
chris

take 2 days

I totally agree with the above, and the hostel espirit de chemin, is fantastic and their breaky is amazing. they can book the hostel in orisson, it gets booked, they also offer tents. i found the hike quite easy, but then i took 2 days to do it, the people that walked the 28km the first day arrived nackered. slow the pace and enjoy the journey.
dawn

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
thanks for feed back

Hi everyone:
Thanks for the feed back on my introductory mailing!
You guys are a wealth of information adn i appreciate it.
Chris, Marjoleen, David - I will look out for you along the way. Buen Camino :)
Ulysse and Sunsengim thanks for the info on the refugio. I will try and book in there the first night. I do not intend to spoil, the fun by going to too fast so it will be a good stop for me I am sure. I also will take care of jet lag before I start on my way. I will be traveling from the west coast of Canada to Paris so it will be a very long trip and I always find jet lag the worst going to Europe or England not the other way coming home!
Thanks again everyone,
Maggie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
maggie said:
Hi everyone:
My Camino starts on the 14th Septmber this current year. I am excited and apprehensive, not being sure I can make it through the hard uphill climb of the first day from St John de P de P. :? But I have determination on my side!
Maggie

Hi Maggie

How was your Camino ? Did you stop in Orisson ?

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.