• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mozárabe from Málaga

Badgerbag

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués abril 2024
Hi, I’ve just returned from the Portuguese and fancy a quieter route for next year.

I’m thinking of starting the Mozárabe with the section from Malaga to Baena next spring (2025) late March/early April to avoid Semana Santa.

Does anyone have any recent experience (ie post Covid) of this section that they could share? Reviews of albergues seem pretty sparse, so any advice, places to avoid etc: would be very helpful.
Thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here:

Last edited:
Hi, I’ve just returned from the Portuguese and fancy a quieter route for next year.

I’m thinking of starting the Mozárabe with the section from Malaga to Baena next spring (2025) late March/early April to avoid Semana Santa.

Does anyone have any recent experience (ie post Covid) of this section that they could share? Reviews of albergues seem pretty sparse, so any advice, places to avoid etc: would be very helpful.
Thanks
Do you have a strong reason to start from.Malaga?
Considered starting in ALMERIA?
My wife and I walked from
Almeria to Merida in April/May last year, it was great.....posted a blog on it.

Time and transport, Direct flights from local U.K. airport to Malaga. Once there I’d rather start walking than take the bus to Almeria and start from there.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thanks
Hey BadgerBag...I completed a couple of days from Granada to Alcala la Real in January, much quieter than the Frances/Norte/Finisterre, however...BEAUTIFUL!!! I caught a bit of the route:

I walked from Málaga in 2015 so much may have changed since then. But you may find some useful info in my blog - I posted each day with details about landscape, elevation, facilities, etc. lots of photos included. You’re welcome to take a look.

Thanks
We did Granada to Cordoba in Feb 2023, so took in the latter part of what you are planning. From memory there was a possible 2 albergues on our walk but either not open or a review which gave a thumbs down due to lack of heating. We stayed in private accommodation, either 2* hotels or Airbnb, costs €45-60 per night per room, which is ok for a couple but might be prohibitive for a lone pilgrim. You will be later in the season than we were so there may be more pilgrim accommodation then.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Amigos in Malaga are a really helpful bunch. I met them on their regular evening (Tuesday or Wednesday - it’ll be on the website) about 1Km out of Malaga centro

Hola a todos. Caminé de Málaga a Baena en octubre de 2022 y fue perfecto. Te gustará.
Ahora ya existe la guía completa de ese camino desde Málaga en gronze.com. Aquí tienes el enlace: https://www.gronze.com/camino-mozarabe
No tienes más que ir abriendo cada etapa, con sus Al Loro y Recorrido, fotos, etc. Te irá perfecto para planificar y para conocer mejor cada lugar por donde pasarás. Muy bonito el Torcal de Antequera.
Cuidado con la primera etapa, es muy dura. Te recomiendo la partas en dos o tomes autobús hasta Junta de los Caminos.
Buen camino

My wife and son in law and I walked from Almería to Granada in March 2023. My daughter and I walked from Málaga to Cordoba this past March. For being so close they are amazingly different. From Almería you might think you are in northern Mexico. From Málaga you would think 99% of the world is covered with olive trees Both are beautiful Caminos. We had no problems finding accommodation varying between the municipality albergues and pensiones. We used much more pensiones in 2024 because the weather was much wetter this year. However the albergues did have space heaters.
We had a GREAT welcome by Nely in Almería but missed the Málaga association meeting because we arrived on Wednesday. In Almería and Granada we toured the Alcazar and Alhambra with audio guides. In Malaga and Cordoba we treated ourselves to human English speaking tour guides AND LEARNED A LOT MORE.
My family and I have walked several Caminos. I found both of these to be moderately difficult but that might be due to my age (79). We found the Andalus people very friendly. We plan to return to Granada next March to walk to Cordoba. Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We did Granada to Cordoba in Feb 2023, so took in the latter part of what you are planning. From memory there was a possible 2 albergues on our walk but either not open or a review which gave a thumbs down due to lack of heating. We stayed in private accommodation, either 2* hotels or Airbnb, costs €45-60 per night per room, which is ok for a couple but might be prohibitive for a lone pilgrim. You will be later in the season than we were so there may be more pilgrim accommodation then.
Thanks. I’ll need to check that out.

Thanks
We walked in May 2023.
Albergues are all municipal, and keys are generally obtained from the policía local.
Apart from walking out from Málaga, we liked every stage, in particular the one from Villanueva de la Concepción to Antequera, over El Torcal.
Out of Málaga, we took bus number 21.
We didn't have any places we thought should be avoided.

We walked in May 2023.
Albergues are all municipal, and keys are generally obtained from the policía local.
Apart from walking out from Málaga, we liked every stage, in particular the one from Villanueva de la Concepción to Antequera, over El Torcal.
Out of Málaga, we took bus number 21.
We didn't have any places we thought should be avoided.
Ditto..
Well, early Novembber 2023..
I thought the landscape through the pass at El Torcal was really spectacular!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi - I walked Malaga to Cordoba in the lead up to Christmas.

Re - 'Reviews of albergues seem pretty sparse' - that's because there are fewer of them on the Malaga route. Villanueva de Algaidas - Albergue de peregrinos (donativo) is in the middle of town, the Policía Local has the keys (one street over). I messaged them to let them know I was coming but unfortunately he was out on a call when I arrived so I had a 1 hour wait and it was getting cold. But a great albergue - and all to myself. In Baena, Albergue Ruta Del Califato (20 euro) is very comfortable - more like a hostel. The rest of the time I stayed in hotels/hostels.

Day 1 Flew to Malaga, walked from the Church of Santiago to La Junta de los Caminos – 10.7km. Not sure why but there was a HUGE queue at Malaga airport to catch the metro into Malaga.
Day 2 La Junta de los Caminos to Villanueva de la Concepcion, 30.7km.
Day 3 To Villanueva de Algaidas, 40.2km
Day 4 To Lucena, 36km
Day 5 To Baena, 34.7km
Day 6 To Santa Cruz, 41 kms
Day 7 To Cordoba, 26.5kms. Then train back to Malaga (around an hour) and flight back to the UK.

So some long days (I only had 7 days free) - particularly at that time of year. Saw one other pilgrim when I got to Baena (where the Malaga and Almeria routes meet). Highlights - some great scenery particularly as others have said at El Torcal. There's some road walking particularly at the start but nothing too onerous.20231219_102648.jpg20231221_101017.jpg20231221_114647.jpg20231221_141014.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi - I walked Malaga to Cordoba in the lead up to Christmas.

Re - 'Reviews of albergues seem pretty sparse' - that's because there are fewer of them on the Malaga route. Villanueva de Algaidas - Albergue de peregrinos (donativo) is in the middle of town, the Policía Local has the keys (one street over). I messaged them to let them know I was coming but unfortunately he was out on a call when I arrived so I had a 1 hour wait and it was getting cold. But a great albergue - and all to myself. In Baena, Albergue Ruta Del Califato (20 euro) is very comfortable - more like a hostel. The rest of the time I stayed in hotels/hostels.

Day 1 Flew to Malaga, walked from the Church of Santiago to La Junta de los Caminos – 10.7km. Not sure why but there was a HUGE queue at Malaga airport to catch the metro into Malaga.
Day 2 La Junta de los Caminos to Villanueva de la Concepcion, 30.7km.
Day 3 To Villanueva de Algaidas, 40.2km
Day 4 To Lucena, 36km
Day 5 To Baena, 34.7km
Day 6 To Santa Cruz, 41 kms
Day 7 To Cordoba, 26.5kms. Then train back to Malaga (around an hour) and flight back to the UK.

So some long days (I only had 7 days free) - particularly at that time of year. Saw one other pilgrim when I got to Baena (where the Malaga and Almeria routes meet). Highlights - some great scenery particularly as others have said at El Torcal. There's some road walking particularly at the start but nothing too onerous.View attachment 169280View attachment 169281View attachment 169282View attachment 169283
Great! Really useful information. Thanks very much!
Hola a todos. Caminé de Málaga a Baena en octubre de 2022 y fue perfecto. Te gustará.
Ahora ya existe la guía completa de ese camino desde Málaga en gronze.com. Aquí tienes el enlace: https://www.gronze.com/camino-mozarabe
No tienes más que ir abriendo cada etapa, con sus Al Loro y Recorrido, fotos, etc. Te irá perfecto para planificar y para conocer mejor cada lugar por donde pasarás. Muy bonito el Torcal de Antequera.
Cuidado con la primera etapa, es muy dura. Te recomiendo la partas en dos o tomes autobús hasta Junta de los Caminos.
Buen camino
Muchas gracias amigo mío! No veo la hora hasta que pueda hacerlo de nuevo.
Saludos!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back