• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My First Camino (Primitivo) - late October 2021

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
I’m planning a spontaneous Camino Primitivo (due to the time constraints, I cannot walk a longer camino at this moment). I am planning to arrive in Oviedo within the next 10-14 days. I am about to book my flight. I have wanted to do for few years now and the opportunity finally came about. It will be my first camino, so I have lots of “what ifs” on my mind. I’m worried about being a solo pilgrim during what I hear off season time - safety and accommodation wise. I would appreciate some words of wisdom and or much needed tips that would be useful on my journey?

Also, what is the bare minimum I should pack? I have never done this type of journey and I’d like to go as light as possible.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I did the Primitivo in the Fall of 2017 as my first Camino. You are wise to pack as light as possible, the first part is in the Pico de Europa and you can expect changes of elevation several time each day. Since my Camino was pre COVID, I cannot offer advice on what to pack. At that time, accommodation was not a problem and many albergues had washing machines, so you could do with the minimum number of socks and underwear, three T-shirts and trousers. Sandals for the end of the day are highly recommended. I did the Camino in 14 days including one day of rest in Lugo. This Camino is very safe, in my opinion. People along the way are helpful if you need direction. I did the hospitales route and I do not regret it. Dress appropriately as it can be cold when you get to the higher elevation. Being Canadian, I did not need a heavy coat but that may not be the case if you are not used to colder temperature.
Buen camino.

I walked the Primitivo in mid September. If you're starting at the end of October, you may want to bring along some warm clothing for that climb to the Puerto Palo after Pola de Allande. It can be quite cold and windy up there. Consult gronze.com for the status of albergues. The albergue municipal at La Mesa was closed, so I stayed at Berducedo.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I also walked the Primitivo starting in mid September and the weather was perfecto. But I have finished the nearby del Norte in late October early November and the weather was cold and almost torrentially rainy and windy. The LIGHTEST guide book is by Village to Village Press. Of course apps abound and this book is available on Kindle. Pre book a night at the albergue in Bodenaya. Best on the Camino.

Cut your toenails back to the quick. A LOT of up and down, repeat. Look at Google Earth and you will see much of this Camino is perpendicular to the folds of the mountains. Be prepared—-for a beautiful walk. Buen Camino

I’m planning a spontaneous Camino Primitivo (due to the time constraints, I cannot walk a longer camino at this moment). I am planning to arrive in Oviedo within the next 10-14 days. I am about to book my flight. I have wanted to do for few years now and the opportunity finally came about. It will be my first camino, so I have lots of “what ifs” on my mind. I’m worried about being a solo pilgrim during what I hear off season time - safety and accommodation wise. I would appreciate some words of wisdom and or much needed tips that would be useful on my journey?

Also, what is the bare minimum I should pack? I have never done this type of journey and I’d like to go as light as possible.
A group of five of us will be walking the Camino for the first time as well. We arrive in Madrid on the 17th (one week away!). Due to time constraints, we are going to start our hike in Tineo. I don’t know if we’ll cross paths, but Buen Camino!

A group of five of us will be walking the Camino for the first time as well. We arrive in Madrid on the 17th (one week away!). Due to time constraints, we are going to start our hike in Tineo. I don’t know if we’ll cross paths, but Buen Camino!
How are you getting from Madrid to Tineo? I’m intrigued ‘cos I can’t figure an obvious itinerary

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I just finished the Primativo two weeks ago. Second time doing that route. Started in Oviedo after I finished the San Salvador.
Pack light but the mornings are cooler. I wore nothing but shorts and a tee every day but a jacket was good after I got to SdC.
2019 I finished in 13 days and I finished in 12 days this time. I wasn’t rushing. Just took my time and enjoyed the Camino.

I also walked the Primitivo starting in mid September and the weather was perfecto. But I have finished the nearby del Norte in late October early November and the weather was cold and almost torrentially rainy and windy. The LIGHTEST guide book is by Village to Village Press. Of course apps abound and this book is available on Kindle. Pre book a night at the albergue in Bodenaya. Best on the Camino.

Cut your toenails back to the quick. A LOT of up and down, repeat. Look at Google Earth and you will see much of this Camino is perpendicular to the folds of the mountains. Be prepared—-for a beautiful walk. Buen Camino
Thank you! I have a follow up question- since I’m planning to pack light - is a sleeping bag a must? Or a towel?

How are you getting from Madrid to Tineo? I’m intrigued ‘cos I can’t figure an obvious itinerary
We did a one way car rental from Madrid. We are dropping it off in Oviedo, then taking a bus from Oviedo to Tineo.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks. I guess I never consider car-rental because of the cost but split 5 ways it makes sense. I'd been looking at train & bus but couldn't avoid an overnight in Oviedo
Yes, splitting 5 ways helps. We did it solely for the purpose of avoiding an overnight in Oviedo. Though, it will still be an all day affair. Our flight arrives at 8am on Monday, the 18th. We are jumping in the rental and hustling to make sure we can make a 6pm bus to Tineo.

I was going to attempt the whole journey beginning Tuesday this coming week. Do you think it's too cold to attempt the entire thing now?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don’t think it’s too cold temperature wise. Only thing I am concerned about is the forecasted rain. I would still want to do it except - perhaps either wait out or skip forward parts that due to rain may seem unsafe (thunder or terrain not recommended to be walked under such conditions)… I figured, I would judge what’s ahead of me and made the best decision of whether to walk/rest/skip forward day to day as I go… also all of the above would depend on whether I’m walking solo or if I have company nearby… is definitely would be cautious to do the hospitals route under not the best weather conditions if I was to walk solo (to be honest- I am hoping to meet someone who I could join for this stretch of the road - even if it means walking short distance from each other - for safety)

Btw. We maybe waking at the same time (later in a journey) or within a day of one another (I’d be following your footsteps)… depends on the rest days (if any) and amount of distance we cover each day…

I don’t think it’s too cold temperature wise. Only thing I am concerned about is the forecasted rain. I would still want to do it except - perhaps either wait out or skip forward parts that due to rain may seem unsafe (thunder or terrain not recommended to be walked under such conditions)… I figured, I would judge what’s ahead of me and made the best decision of whether to walk/rest/skip forward day to day as I go… also all of the above would depend on whether I’m walking solo or if I have company nearby… is definitely would be cautious to do the hospitals route under not the best weather conditions if I was to walk solo (to be honest- I am hoping to meet someone who I could join for this stretch of the road - even if it means walking short distance from each other - for safety)

Btw. We maybe waking at the same time (later in a journey) or within a day of one another (I’d be following your footsteps)… depends on the rest days (if any) and amount of distance we cover each day…
I have had some people tell me to start at other stages instead of the very beginning. I'm just not sure where I should begin this time of year. I will be flying in Monday so I'm trying to decide and book my ticket today :) It would def be so fun to meet! I will be solo as well this go round. I need to recheck the weather as it seems my bag feels heavy :/

I have had some people tell me to start at other stages instead of the very beginning. I'm just not sure where I should begin this time of year. I will be flying in Monday so I'm trying to decide and book my ticket today :) It would def be so fun to meet! I will be solo as well this go round. I need to recheck the weather as it seems my bag feels heavy :/
I’m trying out of NY on Monday night and I’ll be arriving in Oviedo on Tuesday evening… i will be starting my journey no earlier than Wednesday afternoon

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back