Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Introduction

Dave2013

Mar 7, 2012
Colorado Springs, Colorado (USA)
Time of past OR future Camino
CF (09/2013)
First of all; Hola and thank you all for your wisdom and experience!

My name is Dave and I live at the foot of Pikes Peak in Colorado (USA). I have only recently answered the call and will be walking the Camino Frances in the September 2013 time frame. At that time I will be 59 and just retired from a job that I have struggled with and tolerated for a very, very long time.

I have always been a walker although I have never been a long distance walker or hiker. I have a wonderful 4 year old Labradoodle, Cobi, that I walk twice a day everyday rain, shine, snow, cold, sleet; you get the picture. She is really full of energy and great fun. We have been tracking about 35 miles a week through our daily walks for several years now. Still, we have already begun to increase that a few days a week as I've started laying out my training plan.

A week or so after my call to walk and doing some initial research and study to determine if this was something that I really wanted to do I dropped the bomb on my wife. The first words out of her mouth were, "good for you, that's great" and "I'll support you in any way that I can". Bless here heart! Since then I have pretty much focused on Camino related things entirely; including much reading on these forums. This really is a great thing and it will help me better tolerate work over the next 17 months. It already seems as though there won't be enough time to prepare.

Additional things about me...
I pretty much detest camping - which makes the Camino very appealing
I've never traveled internationally - which is the most frightening part of this adventure
I work in IT - because I'm an organized and detailed person

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Stephen Nicholls

Steve Nicholls, Suffolk, U.K.
Jul 26, 2011
Suffolk, U.K.
snicholl5.wix.com
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many caminos to list in the permitted 100 characters!!
Good luck Dave!
Be very careful that you don't catch the Camino bug. You may want to come back time and time again.
Last year I walked from Porto to SdC.
In four weeks time I'm off to Salamanca to walk the second half of the VdlP.
It somehow gets into your blood.
Have a great time both preparing, and finally making the pilgrimage. You have a wonderful wife!
Buen camino!
Stephen.
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.