• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My very first Camino in 7 weeks

Julia_NL

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello people,

Im doing my very first Camino in 7 weeks, Im doing a part of 200km of the french way.
Been wanting to do this since years and finally I have made up my mind to do it in 2015 (I actually decided a month ago).
I have already arranged my outgoing flight to Madrid, one night there in a hostel. The second day I take a train and go to Ponferrada where I start my trip. The train should arrive around 16:00. Do you think I will manage to get an albergue at this time? Or shall I book something? How and where can I obtain a Camino Credential in Ponferrada?
I have already got everything ready for my trip, now reading a lot of books and I am counting every day. I am so excited I have finally decided to do it.
Ohhhh the best part is - I am travelling alone :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Welcome Julia, I would book a Hostal through Booking.com and then its one less thing to worry about plus you will get a good rest with your own private bathroom and shower before you leave. I'm not sure about the credential but someone will and let you know soon. I hope you have a great Camino.
Buen Camino.

Julia,

In Ponferrada you can obtain your Credencial at the parish albergue San Nicolas de Flue. They are open from 15:00 until 22:00 and offer over 180 bunks. However you need not stay there in order to obtain a Credencial.
Good luck and Buen camino!

MM

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you both for your replies!
So in order to get the Credential I need to stay in one of the albergues even on my very first day when I arrive at 16:00, did I understand it right?
Other option would be to book a hostel and get the Credential the next day, but I guess they will not be open in the early morning yet.

You do NOT need to stay in the albergue in order to obtain the Credencial from the albergue. The albergue is open until 22:00 pm. It is open in the morning from 06:00 until 08:00 am. You could get your Credencial then. Click on the highlighted name of the albergue in my above post to see more info in Spanish.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello people,

Im doing my very first Camino in 7 weeks, Im doing a part of 200km of the french way.
Been wanting to do this since years and finally I have made up my mind to do it in 2015 (I actually decided a month ago).
I have already arranged my outgoing flight to Madrid, one night there in a hostel. The second day I take a train and go to Ponferrada where I start my trip. The train should arrive around 16:00. Do you think I will manage to get an albergue at this time? Or shall I book something? How and where can I obtain a Camino Credential in Ponferrada?
I have already got everything ready for my trip, now reading a lot of books and I am counting every day. I am so excited I have finally decided to do it.
Ohhhh the best part is - I am travelling alone :)
Buen Camino enjoy this time as I am sure you will be back to walk the rest.

Good morning all,
thank you so much for your support and encouragement, feels good to receive advises from the experienced walkers :)
To be honest, I am a bit worried that I might miss some of the landmarks, is it easy to spot them?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back