• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My week from St Jean to Estella

Cailin O Eire

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked Sarria to Santiago Easter 2014
Hope to walk for 5 days from St Jean Pied De Port to wherever my feet bring me to first week of June 2016
This is just a general post so I'll keep it short and sweet. Firstly, I left Ireland on my own to walk this stretch of the camino, nervous and excited. I wasn't alone for long I met others at the airport and then more in Saint Jean and we soon became a camino family. I never felt alone or afraid and I enjoyed learning a few bits of Danish from my Danish walking comrades and some American lingo from Anny the Taiwanese/American lady and the Dublin lingo from Brian. So that is just for those who may be nervous about setting out on this journey alone, you wont be alone. I can't recall a section of the path without others in front of behind. It's really busy.
The trails, day 1 been the first day full of energy and enthusiasm I got through it, even with all the false summits and thoughts of am I there yet?! feeling tired and weary at the end but doable. Maybe I would stay in Orisson next time just to ease the body into the journey.
The other days also beautiful, each day we took breaks to take the shoes off and let air get to the feet, I think this helped my feet a lot.
On route home now waiting on a bus to Biarritz, thanks to falcon, Nuala and most recently whariwharangi for useful travel info for the route home. To all those who were on this forum giving advise. Thanks so much.
I'm going to try to wean myself off the forum for a while or I'll be longing to come back every day.
For all those wondering should they go alone, yes do, you wont be alone unless you want to this time of year.
Best
Rita

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh, Rita, I'm so happy for you that you had a great week! I know you were nervous with all the news coming out about solo hikers getting harassed and I'm so glad it all went well. You sound so calm and content in your post here! Have a good transition back to home and we'll see you on the Forum, whenever you decide you want to read all of us again :)!
Take care,
Faith

Oh, Rita, I'm so happy for you that you had a great week! I know you were nervous with all the news coming out about solo hikers getting harassed and I'm so glad it all went well. You sound so calm and content in your post here! Have a good transition back to home and we'll see you on the Forum, whenever you decide you want to read all of us again :)!
Take care,
Faith
Thanks so much, it was such a lovely week. The only down side was having to say good bye to the great friends I made.
I'm back on the forum again ha ha :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Delighted you had a great Camino Rita, you might as well start planning the next one now as you probably have the Camino bug already :).
Come back to the forum when you can as up to date info is important and is always welcome.
I will be on regularly, I just need to reduce my log in'a from every hour to once a day ha ha. Such a super time, I'll be back to do another week for sure.
Buen Camino

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I hava a feeling you will become a repeat offender :)
This was my second trip, I have definitely caught the camino bug, looking forward to my next stage already, just need to figure out when?!
Rita

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This was my second trip, I have definitely caught the camino bug, looking forward to my next stage already, just need to figure out when?!
Rita
I'm off in ten days :) doing Burgos to Santiago. What is the next stage for you?

I'm off in ten days :) doing Burgos to Santiago. What is the next stage for you?
If probably try and do from Estella to Burgos, I only ever have about a weekso I'd be planning to join the dots on the Camino Frances over the next few years. You are lucky to be going, lots of lovely people on the way and lots of sunshine. Wishing you a beautiful journey :)

Nice to hear you enjoyed the start of the long walk. Estella to Burgos is a little easier on the feet, not as hilly,but every bit as challenging.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So Happy for you Rita! Your personal experience of camaraderie and hearing how secure you felt with your Camino friends (family, really because it feels like you have one whist on the pilgrimage) only shows that We never walk alone on the CF. People look after each other and that should positively inspire others who plan to walk alone and naturally feeling apprehensive about their security.
I bet you're already planning the next phase of your Camino Frances.
I wish you Buen Camino peregrina!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So Happy for you Rita! Your personal experience of camaraderie and hearing how secure you felt with your Camino friends (family, really because it feels like you have one whist on the pilgrimage) only shows that We never walk alone on the CF. People look after each other and that should positively inspire others who plan to walk alone and naturally feeling apprehensive about their security.
I bet you're already planning the next phase of your Camino Frances.
I wish you Buen Camino peregrina!
Yes, I want to do Estella to Burgos next time. I do honestly feel that this time of year to be alone, you would have to choose to be alone. I wouldn't be apprehensive about setting off again in the morning :)
Thank you
Rita

Sounds like you had a wonderful Camino Rita. Keep us posted as to when you can get away to continue your next Camino. Ed

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back