• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nashville to Santiago!

Srobin02

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan- June 2015
Dear All,
My name is Sarah- this is my first post and I leave next Wednesday for my Camino! Although I have a lot of supportive friends, family, and coworkers, I'm going by myself and am a little nervous. It seems from this forum that a lot of young women have done this on their own and have met fabulous people along the way, so I put my faith in that! If anyone has advice, particularly on the following, I would appreciate your help!

My dates are June 7 from St. Jean Pied de Port, hopefully arriving in Santiago July 4th. I'm limited on both sides because I'm a teacher and can't fly out until June 5th, and have to be back for my brother's wedding by July 6th. I know this is less time than typically recommended, but do you think it is doable? I've run half marathons, but not recently, and I know this is a very different type of "fit."

I have all of my transportation except for Bayonne - St. Jean on June 6th. Is this a ticket that is easy to purchase when you arrive at Bayonne, or do the busses/trains frequently sell out?

For all my attempts to learn Spanish I haven't been able to pick it up - what do you think are the most important phrases you've needed? I'm going to try to do it technology-free but can see myself breaking this rule to use my iPhone for translating - I don't want to, so I'm trying to practice these ahead of time.

For walking in June/July, have you needed a sleeping bag? I've purchased a really lightweight sleeping bag liner and was wondering if it would be enough. What about long sleeves/jackets? Someone mentioned a "rain suit" on their thread with pants and jacket and I didn't know if that was something others found helpful/necessary.

Other things I've wondered if people found them necessary are trekking poles, sock liners, and a headlamp. Also do you think it would be wise to bring running shoes in addition to hiking boots and nighttime flipflops in case you have blisters from the hiking boots, or do you think it is just unnecessary weight?

The guidebook mentions that there are dogs sometimes, and I have a weird terror of dogs. Are there frequent run-ins? It seems from other posts that if you don't get in their way they won't bother you, but there were some conflicting ideas of what to do if they do come to you. My hope is that I will have met some friends by this point and won't be alone :).

Sorry for the long introduction and questions - even though I'm scared I am so excited! If you are going to be on the path at the same time, I hope I meet you!

Sincerely,
Sarah

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Welcome to the Forum, Sarah.
Most of the dogs I have met during my Caminos would be tied up, they would bark and growl in a very fierce way but they did no harm being tied up. Sometimes a dog would run up to me, the owner would be near by and call the dog. Don't worry about it, you will be fine.
Buen Camino to you.

Thank you all so much! As I wrap up my school year I'm getting incredibly excited. Your help, advice, and encouragement are appreciated, and I'll keep you in my prayers as I start!
Sarah

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back