• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Need for a Sleeping Mat on Via de la Plata?

andrew48

I plan to walk the via de la Plata next April. Is there a need to carry a foam sleeping mat.... or do the 'Roof & Floor' Albergues provide a mattress. I do not want to carry one unless it is a must. Andrew48 :?:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Only roof and floor albergue I saw was in Guillena, the first stop after Sevilla. They did have mats though. I would not take one.
Lillian

On my second camino from le puy I took a mat and in 1700 kms never used it.Curiously on the camino frances almost everyone had one and I didn't see anyone use them-leave it at home, along with those silly walking poles.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Omar

On the subject of walking poles I totally disagree with you. It is a choice we make and I found one pole great for support and balance over difficult parts of a wet Camino Portugues in May.

Everyone to their own. Cheers Rose Louise

andrew48 said:
I plan to walk the via de la Plata next April. Is there a need to carry a foam sleeping mat.... or do the 'Roof & Floor' Albergues provide a mattress. I do not want to carry one unless it is a must. Andrew48 :?:

Well, I walked VdlP two years ago. I took a foam sleeping mat and never used it.

Just my two cents
Gyro

The other point about mats that is overlooked is how they usually extend either side of a backpack. This becomes a problem when it rains and I've seen many struggling to cover their backpacks with these things sticking out.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have recently returned from the VDLP - Sevilla to Merida. I did not stop at the alberque in Guillena but I was told by somebody who did that it has just been refurbished and has new bunks and hot water. Another reason for not taking a mat.

I have walked Via de la Plata from Sevilla to Caceres April 2006 and from Caceres to Zamora 2008, both times carrying a sleeping mat. I used it twice the first year and not at all last year. I will continue in April 2009 and will not bring a mat anymore. It can happens thar you will need it, but if that happens, fint another solution. To much carrying for to little use.

i just completed the via de la plata in october. there is no need for a mat. there are alot of new albergues. i met a german man who dumped his. just extra stuff.
dawn

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum