• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need Help Building a Camino Marker

MarcoPolo616

Time of past OR future Camino
2018 Camino Portugues (Valença to Santiago)
2019 (planned) Santiago- Finisterre-Muxia
Greetings,

My wife and I completed the Camino Portugués in June. We are planning to return next year to walk the Camino Finieterre- Muxia. I am wondering if anyone can send me the dimensions of the granite Camino markers. I am having a granite headstone worker make me a custom marker to place in my patio as a reminder each morning of this life changing experience. I bought the blue tile with the yellow shell and will have a kilometer marker custom made and the arrow cut into the granite. I want to make it as close to the original as possible. I should have just measured one of the hundreds we passed by when I was on the Camino, but the thought did not occur to me at the time. If anyone reading this lives on or near the Camino, I would appreciate if you send me the dimensions (top perimeter, bottom perimeter). I can guesstimate the rest. In live precisely 9167.38km from Santiago! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, fellow Peregrinos!

Attachments

• 9E794077-9921-4EAE-A307-4186CB5F2452.jpeg
    9E794077-9921-4EAE-A307-4186CB5F2452.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Greetings,

My wife and I completed the Camino Portugués in June. We are planning to return next year to walk the Camino Finieterre- Muxia. I am wondering if anyone can send me the dimensions of the granite Camino markers. I am having a granite headstone worker make me a custom marker to place in my patio as a reminder each morning of this life changing experience. I bought the blue tile with the yellow shell and will have a kilometer marker custom made and the arrow cut into the granite. I want to make it as close to the original as possible. I should have just measured one of the hundreds we passed by when I was on the Camino, but the thought did not occur to me at the time. If anyone reading this lives on or near the Camino, I would appreciate if you send me the dimensions (top perimeter, bottom perimeter). I can guesstimate the rest. In live precisely 9167.38km from Santiago! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, fellow Peregrinos!
That's definitely the weirdest idea about Camino I've ever heard but I LIKE IT!!! :D

Very soon there will be a post with exact measures. You can also contact people at Via Lusitana Association (http://www.vialusitana.org/) and they would surely know the facts.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That's definitely the weirdest idea about Camino I've ever heard but I LIKE IT!!! :D

Very soon there will be a post with exact measures. You can also contact people at Via Lusitana Association (http://www.vialusitana.org/) and they would surely know the facts.

Thanks! You should have seen the look on the face of the gravestone maker! Luckily, a neighbor of his walked the Camino a few years back and he seemed excited about the project! I appreciate the feedback and the link!

Love the idea. Question about your photo attachment. The yellow arrow is pointing one way and the convergence of the yellow lines (caminos) is pointing the other direction. I always thought the yellow conch shell lines represented the various caminos, all converging at Santiago de Compostella, ie head towards the yellow ball.

Love the idea. Question about your photo attachment. The yellow arrow is pointing one way and the convergence of the yellow lines (caminos) is pointing the other direction. I always thought the yellow conch shell lines represented the various caminos, all converging at Santiago de Compostella, ie head towards the yellow ball.
Yes, that was the original idea -- unfortunately, some communities weren't aware of the difference in arrow pointing west and the ball being to the east..., vice-versa -- so it was throwing me off quite a bit, especially in some areas that were urban with a lot of big steep hills, going into the very wrong direction! When it doubt, go with the arrow if you have two options!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Mike,

I have seen it vary by region In most parts of Galicia the rays point in the same direction as the arrows. In other sections of the Camino it is the opposite. It is important to know when walking the Camino. Most of the Camino Portugues from Tui to Santiago, the rays and arrow pointed in the same direction.

Yes, that was the original idea -- unfortunately, some communities weren't aware of the difference in arrow pointing west and the ball being to the east..., vice-versa -- so it was throwing me off quite a bit, especially in some areas that were urban with a lot of big steep hills, going into the very wrong direction! When it doubt, go with the arrow if you have two options!
Only the arrows are officially pointing the direction, not the shells.
See this flyer: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/attachments/cartel-señalizacion-ingles-web-pdf.44833/
And: http://www.mecd.gob.es/dam/jcr:3baa012b-b976-4887-84e6-43b2ded1a568/directrices señalizacion.pdf

Last edited:
Greetings,

Awesome idea. (it would be cool for an actual headstone too)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you want the 'original' design, I recall that one of the early Valiñas publications had schematics for the original markers. I don't know anybody that has the publication I speak of (except for the albergue in San Roque) but I am sure someone on this forum must.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
WEll, there are different types of markers and tiles... the new ones are quite big, more colourful.. The Via de la Plata markers in Extremadura are peculiar (as in UGLY, I must say), the tiles in Asturias are softer, but they also point the opposite way to the rest of the world... good luck!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Greetings,

I have the exact specifications for the new style mojones installed by the Junta de Galicia starting a couple of years ago. I found the diagram, then measured the actual new mojones in the field, using a metric tape measure in 2016, on my walk from Madrid.

The file is at home. Regrettably, I do not have it on my phone, or I would send it to you.

If you can wait until I return home from Spain on 21 August, I would be happy to e-mail it to you. Simply start a private conversation with me to pass your e-mail address. Do not post your e-mail address in the open forum.

Alternatively, I will send this post to myself as a reminder to post the file to the resources section of the forum. Again, after I return home. I have been working as a volunteer at the Pilgrim Office since 9 July.

Hope this helps.

Greetings,

Love it!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Loved seeing this along the Portuguese. Where did you order them from?

Loved seeing this along the Portuguese. Where did you order them from?
I am having one custom made. I bought the 6” square tile in Stgo. everything else will be made locally.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you want the 'original' design, I recall that one of the early Valiñas publications had schematics for the original markers. I don't know anybody that has the publication I speak of (except for the albergue in San Roque) but I am sure someone on this forum must.
Thank you for the information!

What to do with those tiles you buy in SdC? Make a Camino Marker of course. Mine is made from a Hebel (aerated concrete) block. About 3/4 size: 600 hi, 200 deep, 300 wide at the base and 160 wide at the top. All mm. You can cut Hebel with a hand saw and shape it with a rasp or chisel and then smooth with rough sandpaper. I indented the tiles about 5mm as well. Good for the garden or in my case, on the side bank of my driveway. Great memories every day. Cooee.

Attachments

• 844638BE-2A48-4C14-8D6A-D81722A4EB56.jpeg
    844638BE-2A48-4C14-8D6A-D81722A4EB56.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 13
  • C66CFF61-2412-434C-ADE2-775C07449828.jpeg
    C66CFF61-2412-434C-ADE2-775C07449828.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 13
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back