• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nervous but excited

Amber NZ

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting in Pamplona on 13th May 2016
Hey I'm Amber,

From New Zealand, planning on starting my Camino in Mid May with Pamplona as my starting point. My reason for this is I wanted to walk the France's trail but I'm worried about my level of fitness and how much time I have. I figured I'd start on the Spain side to save a few days and collect my pilgrim passport there In Pamplona.

I just turned 30 and have been feeling as lost as ever. I mentioned to a friend last year I just felt I wanted to get away and walk for miles, she told me about the Camino and since then I've read numerous books and watched movies and documentaries based on it.

I feel more than ever that the Camino is calling me and at this time In my life!

I'm a bit nervous as I'm not an extremely fit person. I love to walk as of clears my mind and relaxes me. I can walk 7-10 km a day without hesitation or worry. I am a little worried about doubling that per day.

I don't want to start my Camino off full of worry about it.

If anyone has any help/ tips or words for me they think will help u welcome ALL OF IT...

Xx Amber

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Amber I think you will be fine with your level of fitness, and enviable age! You will find that one of the great things about the Camino is letting go - letting go of anxiety, letting go of stuff, there is no past or future, just the present moment. It is natural to be anxious before setting out (this is a crazy thing you are doing, right?) but as soon as you start walking your fears will evaporate.

As long as your pack is light and you do not rush the first couple of weeks, you will be fine. Rushing - that's the biggest trap for young people on the Camino. After a week or two you will find the daily distance that suits you, after that keep within your own comfort zone and don't be pressured into other people's timetables, whether fast or slow.

Read the packing lists and keep your pack as light as possible. If it is just "in case" you don't need it. Two sets of clothes only (one on, one in the wash), don't take the cosmetics or the extra pair of shoes, they will just be a burden.

You are in for a marvellous, wonderful time.

I'm a bit nervous as I'm not an extremely fit person. I love to walk as of clears my mind and relaxes me. I can walk 7-10 km a day without hesitation or worry. I am a little worried about doubling that per day.
Train enough, including long walks with your pack, so that you have some confidence in your fitness. While you can use the first weeks of the Camino to get into shape, that is not really the best time to find things out for the first time. Know how your footwear fits; know how you react to fatigue; know how you react to sharing your space with a lot of people! If people, food, and the sights are the only new things you experience on the Camino, you will have a lot more fun. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Every one of us who is approaching this for the first time feels that same excitement and anxiety. I am confident I can succeed, as thousands have before me. Not because I'm super fit, or because I have it all figured out. But because I am prepared to adapt to whatever may come my way.

Buen Camino to you.

Last edited:
Hi Amber , I'm Joe from the US . Can't add much to the good advice given in the above posts . You have a limited time period to walk apparently .It seems too from what you wrote that reaching a destination is not as important as " Reflection and Mediation" ? If so , good . Your living in the moment , Not checking off miles. I think that is a great way to do it . Pamplona is a wonderful place to start and being only 3o yrs well , that is really a good thing . I'm 70 and I'm jealous . I wish a friend had told me about the Camino back in 70s .

If you want to meet some folks starting around the same time as you visit this thread below .

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ay-june-2016-peregrinos-camino-frances.36410/

Welcome to the forum

Hey I'm Amber,

From New Zealand, planning on starting my Camino in Mid May with Pamplona as my starting point. My reason for this is I wanted to walk the France's trail but I'm worried about my level of fitness and how much time I have. I figured I'd start on the Spain side to save a few days and collect my pilgrim passport there In Pamplona.

I just turned 30 and have been feeling as lost as ever. I mentioned to a friend last year I just felt I wanted to get away and walk for miles, she told me about the Camino and since then I've read numerous books and watched movies and documentaries based on it.

I feel more than ever that the Camino is calling me and at this time In my life!

I don't want to start my Camino off full of worry about it.

If anyone has any help/ tips or words for me they think will help u welcome ALL OF IT...

Xx Amber
I get that same feeling - I just want to walk a million miles without stopping!
Your fitness level is fine. I was much older and in much worse shape when I walked it the first time but I managed it just fine. I even did (against my will) a 40 km day. But most days are somewhere between 14 and 20. You'll be fine. Los of people start in Pamplona. If I were you I would order my passport from this site from Ivar. You will not believe how quickly it will arrive. Trying to figure out how to get one once you're there isn't super easy. I remember a guy desperately trying to find one in Astorga. He didn't speak Spanish and it was a Sunday - everything was closed. So just save yourself the headache and get it now. If you're worried about timing there is probably a NZ Pilgrim's group you can get them from - I know for sure there is one in Australia.
And you know there is just no possible way to head off into the great unknown and NOT to feel some anxiety about it. I have been twice and I still feel some anxiety about it. It is just part of the process.
The good news is it will fall away once you start. You really will meet nice people who will be able to answer questions for you and keep you company or share a cup of coffee with or a glass of wine. If you don't have something you need you can buy it. Spain, particularly along the Camino, has plenty of great shops with everything anyone might need. This is NOT wilderness walking.
The square in Pamplona is filled with peregrinos in the afternoon. Just go out there and sit in a cafe and you will see everyone arriving and waiting for a restaurant to open (at 9 pm). Ask any one of them where the trail exiting town starts, which way you should go in the morning, whether you should carry some lunch or a snack - whatever you're wondering about.
The best part for you is that when you get home you will be where most walkers want to go next - there are like 9 great walks in NZ - and you'll be an old pro by then. Right in time for some October or November trekking ;)
So please don't worry. Feel the anxiety, feel the excitement - but put your worries away. The anxiety will fall away on your first day, I promise. You're going to have a great time.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Amber
I know the feeling of anxiety and being nervous as the date for the departure to Spain is getting closer. I'm planning my fourth Camino and I'm still nervous.
I have found that packing light is a great help, you do not want a heavy backpack. Check some of the treads regarding packing lists and bring as little as possible, you can get by with very little on the Camino and if you find you have left something behind you can't do without, you can buy it along the way.
Start easy, listen to your body. When you are tired, rest. Eat good food that will nourish your body.
I agree with Chacharm, put in an order for a crediential with Ivar, it is lovely to receive the envelope with Spanish stamps and have the crediential in your hands.
All the best to you and buen Camino.

Your fitness level is fine. I was much older and in much worse shape when I walked it the first time but I managed it just fine. I even did (against my will) a 40 km day. But most days are somewhere between 14 and 20. You'll be fine. Los of people start in Pamplona. If I were you I would order my passport from this site from Ivar. You will not believe how quickly it will arrive. Trying to figure out how to get one once you're there isn't super easy. I remember a guy desperately trying to find one in Astorga. He didn't speak Spanish and it was a Sunday - everything was closed. So just save yourself the headache and get it now. If you're worried about timing there is probably a NZ Pilgrim's group you can get them from - I know for sure there is one in Australia.
And you know there is just no possible way to head off into the great unknown and NOT to feel some anxiety about it. I have been twice and I still feel some anxiety about it. It is just part of the process.
The good news is it will fall away once you start. You really will meet nice people who will be able to answer questions for you and keep you company or share a cup of coffee with or a glass of wine. If you don't have something you need you can buy it. Spain, particularly along the Camino, has plenty of great shops with everything anyone might need. This is NOT wilderness walking.
The square in Pamplona is filled with peregrinos in the afternoon. Just go out there and sit in a cafe and you will see everyone arriving and waiting for a restaurant to open (at 9 pm). Ask any one of them where the trail exiting town starts, which way you should go in the morning, whether you should carry some lunch or a snack - whatever you're wondering about.
The best part for you is that when you get home you will be where most walkers want to go next - there are like 9 great walks in NZ - and you'll be an old pro by then. Right in time for some October or November trekking ;)
So please don't worry. Feel the anxiety, feel the excitement - but put your worries away. The anxiety will fall away on your first day, I promise. You're going to have a great time.

This is amazing! Thank you soooo much for your kind words and wise advice! I appreciate all you have said and will order my passport prior i think!

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to share your advice and tips! Noted. Thanks xxx

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Amber I think you will be fine with your level of fitness, and enviable age! You will find that one of the great things about the Camino is letting go - letting go of anxiety, letting go of stuff, there is no past or future, just the present moment. It is natural to be anxious before setting out (this is a crazy thing you are doing, right?) but as soon as you start walking your fears will evaporate.

As long as your pack is light and you do not rush the first couple of weeks, you will be fine. Rushing - that's the biggest trap for young people on the Camino. After a week or two you will find the daily distance that suits you, after that keep within your own comfort zone and don't be pressured into other people's timetables, whether fast or slow.

Read the packing lists and keep your pack as light as possible. If it is just "in case" you don't need it. Two sets of clothes only (one on, one in the wash), don't take the cosmetics or the extra pair of shoes, they will just be a burden.

You are in for a marvellous, wonderful time.
Hello kanga I can not find the packing list? I'm still finding my way through the forum :)

@Brubru there are lots of different packing lists on the forum. Probably the best way to find them is to use the "pack list" tag, in the tag cloud on the front page of the forum when you first open it. Or use the search button at the top of the page. Here is my latest packing list, including the clothes I'll be wearing (it does change with each camino):

Aarn Featherlite backpack with two front balance packs
Ecco sandals, crocs
Sealskinz waterproof socks
2 pairs of nickers, 2 bras
2 hiking skirts (with security pockets big enough to fit passport, wallet and phone)
1 merino tank top
1 lightweight long sleeve silk/merino crew neck top
1 woollen jumper
1 Patagonia Houdini jacket
1 merino thermal legging
1 pair silk/merino lounge pants (or silk boxer shorts if it is summer) to sleep in
Fluffy bed-socks
Fitted under-sheet treated with permethrin
Hikking quilt (treated with permethrin)
Hanging travel sponge bag containing: toothbrush, toothpaste (sample size), half tube of 3Action (doubles as anti-perspirant and anti-chaffing cream), hi sudsing soap in a plastic container, tiny scissors, tweezers, leukotape or similar, tiny sewing kit including needles, antiseptic gel, two cotton handkerchiefs, tiny hairbrush, small +50spf face moisturiser, pill box size hair conditioner, two ziplock plastic bags, plus a few pills - only enough to get me to a pharmacy or doctor (a couple of antibiotics, a couple of anti-diahorrea tablets, a few painkillers).
A revolting tiny microfibre towel - or I might change this for a thin cotton sarong that I can use as a towel.
Buff
Sun visor
Umbrella
Altus poncho
Polystyrene square to sit on
Trekking sticks.
Passport, wallet, iPhone, charger, credencial.
I'll buy a couple of 600ml bottles of water and refill them.
If it is summer I'll throw in some old swimmers.

What have I forgotten?

Edited - I forgot gloves and a couple of allergy pills. And plane tickets!

Last edited:
@Brubru there are lots of different packing lists on the forum. Probably the best way to find them is to use the "pack list" tag, in the tag cloud on the front page of the forum when you first open it. Or use the search button at the top of the page. Here is my latest packing list, including the clothes I'll be wearing (it does change with each camino):

Aarn Featherlite backpack with two front balance packs
Ecco sandals, crocs
Sealskinz waterproof socks
2 pairs of nickers, 2 bras
2 hiking skirts (with security pockets big enough to fit passport, wallet and phone)
1 merino tank top
1 lightweight long sleeve silk/merino crew neck top
1 woollen jumper
1 Patagonia Houdini jacket
1 merino thermal legging
1 pair silk/merino lounge pants (or silk boxer shorts if it is summer) to sleep in
Fluffy bed-socks
Fitted under-sheet treated with permethrin
Hikking quilt (treated with permethrin)
Hanging travel sponge bag containing: toothbrush, toothpaste (sample size), half tube of 3Action (doubles as anti-perspirant and anti-chaffing cream), hi sudsing soap in a plastic container, tiny scissors, tweezers, leukotape or similar, tiny sewing kit including needles, antiseptic gel, two cotton handkerchiefs, tiny hairbrush, small +50spf face moisturiser, pill box size hair conditioner, two ziplock plastic bags, plus a few pills - only enough to get me to a pharmacy or doctor (a couple of antibiotics, a couple of anti-diahorrea tablets, a few painkillers).
A revolting tiny microfibre towel - or I might change this for a thin cotton sarong that I can use as a towel.
Buff
Sun visor
Umbrella
Altus poncho
Polystyrene square to sit on
Trekking sticks.
Passport, wallet, iPhone, charger, credencial.
I'll buy a couple of 600ml bottles of water and refill them.
If it is summer I'll throw in some old swimmers.

What have I forgotten?
Wow Thank You so much for that!!!! I'm finding a bit tricky navigating this forum. Didn't notice the search till now :). Thank you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Kanga,

I don't usually comment on ladies' pack lists as they are different from those of us guys. However I just wanted to say that you seem to be saving weight on your 2 pairs of knickers because you have cut off the silent 'k'. :rolleyes:

@Kanga , When I look up 3Action, I find a Sports Nutrition. Is there a certain name of the item which you mentioned in the above packing list? Thanks.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.