• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New albergue in Villares de Órbigo

:arrow: Hello,

We are a couple who opened a hostel on the Road to Santiago recently, on the french route.

Please find attached the basic information concerning our hostel.

Belén and Pablo

------------------

Hostel Villares de Órbigo

Owners: Pablo y Belén

Our recently renovated hostel, an old courtyard house, is situated in the village of Villares de Órbigo, a very quiet place in the area of the Órbigo river. The heart of our hostel, the open courtyard, is used as the central meeting area. The church of Villares is dedicated to Santiago. There is also a traditional “lavadero” nearby, a big water basin where village people still do their laundry.

How to get there
We are 2 km from Hospital de Órbigo, 14 km to Astorga.
Important: Leaving Hospital de Órbigo do not take the route on the main road, but take the little road in direction Villares/ Santibañez de Valdeiglesias.

Contact details
Adress: C/Arnal, 21 – Villares de Órbigo – León
Telephone: +34 987 132 935
E-mail: info@alberguevillaresdeorbigo.com
http://www.alberguevillaresdeorbigo.com

Open all year
Daily opening times: from 11:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
Reservations possible

Description
Total beds: 32 (bunkbeds) in 5 rooms, one of them is located on the ground floor.
1 bedroom for 10 people
1 bedroom for 8 people
1 bedroom for 6 people
1 bedroom for 4 people
1 bedroom for 4 people with en-suite bathroom (shower/toilet), on ground floor.
2 communal bathrooms next to the bedrooms on the first floor (women/men), 2 showers, 2 washbasins and 1 toilet each.
---

Fully equipped kitchen: cooker, refrigerator, microwave, pots, pans and cuttlery.
Living/ Dining room
Terrace: This hostal is a courtyard house, the open courtyard is the main meeting place.
Other spaces: an extra indoor living room with a library will open soon.
Covered bycicle parking
Horse stable: please call for further information.

Stone basin for laundry (hand wash)
Washing machine
Clothes line
Central Heating
Hot water
Plugs in bedrooms
Mobile phone reception
Internet: Wifi/ free use of computer

Prices
Bed (per person, per night): 6€ (Sheets are included)
Bedroom for 4 persons with own bathroom: 30€
Breakfast: 2.50€ (Bread, jam, tea/ coffee and orange juice)
Laundry service: 2.50€

Other facilities in the village
Medical services: Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Pharmacy (Mo- Fr 10 a.m.- 2 p.m. and 5-8 p.m.)
Little grocery store (Mo- Sat 10 a.m.- 2 p.m. and 4-9 p.m.)
Bar
BBQ- area nearby

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My friends and I stayed in this lovely albergue in April of this year - it is clean and fresh and friendly - a good night's sleep and toast for breakfast. It was not in my guidebook but we were told about it at another albergue. Also the bar across the street serves enormous platefuls of tasty food for 4.50 Euros. I had squid ink pasta salad, and it was one of the best meals I had during my camino.

Looks fantastic. Hope it is going well Pablo and Belen. I have written this in my guidebook and hope to see you early June. Debbie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Albergue Villares said:
Important: Leaving Hospital de Órbigo do not take the route on the main road, but take the little road in direction Villares/ Santibañez de Valdeiglesias.
I would recommend to everyone to turn off and take this side route from Hospital de Orbigo, whether you stay in the village of Villares or not. According to the signpost when I walked in 2008, it was only 1km more to take this side route, but I think most people took the main road. I loved this day's walk- one of my favourite parts of the whole Camino, as the countryside was so beautiful.

Here are a few photos to tempt your palate, and I am sure you will agree these views are much nicer than trudging along a busy highway!

Margaret

Attachments

• Santibañez de Valdeiglesias sign.jpg
    Santibañez de Valdeiglesias sign.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 2,105
  • walking in direction of Santibañez de Valdeiglesias.jpg
    walking in direction of Santibañez de Valdeiglesias.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 2,100
  • Santibañez de Valdeiglesias route.jpg
    Santibañez de Valdeiglesias route.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 2,105
And a couple more photos while I am at it!
Margaret

Attachments

• Santibañez de Valdeiglesias route 2.jpg
    Santibañez de Valdeiglesias route 2.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 2,114
  • Astorga in the distance below.jpg
    Astorga in the distance below.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 2,120
I totally agree Margaret- its a lovely day's walk. We had some amazing surprises on it. I'd upload some photos of those surprises if I knew how!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This has got to be the best albergue I have been in on the Camino. Beautiful, that´s number one. The person in charge is very attentive, very nice person. I would plan on stopping here no matter what. It´s that good.

Continuing on the alternative path after Villares de Orbigo but before Santibañez de Valdeiglesias one arrives at another special refuge, Casa de los Dioses, just east of the Cross of Santo Toribio. It is run by David Vidal who takes great care to help passing pilgrims. You can rest in the huge barn or simply enjoy his wonderful goody shelf. Last November during a heavy rain although David was absent the thermos of coffee was hot and his cookies most delicious! His multilingual note read 'Welcome!'. After sitting sheltered, having a coffee and eating a cookie or two I left a donation and a brief note of thanks. Despite the cold rain this was a MOST welcome stop and a perfect example of yet another of the varied and generous caring alternatives available along the camino.... To each his own.

To read more in English about this special man and his special place see this Swedish pilgrim's blog. >> http://www.fyrfalk.se/caminoblogg/?page_id=2150

Margaret

Thank you so much for reccommending this, it´s haven. Whist writing this my laundry is being done (for an extra 2.50), I´ve a had a great hot shower and now I´m enjoying a beer and looking forward to having a nap. I´ve not found the path mentioned above and Idid get slightly lost looking for it, which added around 3km to my jurney from Orbigo - but so far so very good, it was worth it. If someone has a photo of the sign perhaps it would be helpful to post it here. To more people here had the same problem...

It´s very clean and looked after by a very helpful nice lady. Breakfast/ dinner cost extra but optional. I´m being told that there is a shop nearby if you´d rather go for something cheaper. Defo one to be seen.

Margaret, thanks for the reccommendations once again, you seem to know them all. I´ll try to find Casa de los Dioses tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Casa de los Dioses
I think this is the building on the plateau after climbing the hill out of Santibanez. There is no running water, no toilets, and no electricity. Look a rock that says "Stefan and Nicole." The water for drink preparation comes from an untreated source a couple of hundred meters away, so you may want to stick to the beverages prepared from boiled water. It is a popular camping stop, and the hidden spots are open air latrines. About twenty minutes later, you will be at the cross above Astorga. The road into Astorga has several bars and restaurants.

Buen camino.

Attachments

• 56628470.jpg
    56628470.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 1,200
If you are in Villares de Orbigo, there will be no more confusion about the path. Leaving Hospital is the only intersection that is a bit tricky.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
An excellent albergue if you have no further interest in Hospital. Photograph the bridge, and keep walking!

A wonderful addition on the C.F. , wonderful welcoming hosts in Pablo y Belen, a great dinner and a lovely imaginative upgrading of a fine building, a highlight of my recent camino.

:)

Seamus

Attachments

• IMG_5927 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_5927 (800x600).jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 397
I totally agree - the Albergue Villares de Orbigo is one of the very best Albergues on the Camino. Pablo and Belen are charming and go out of their way to help you. The old restored house is delightful. Apart from the dormitories, they also have a couple of private rooms.. Try them - you'll like them!!! Anne

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This albergue was the highlight of my camino. Without the help of Pablo and Belén I would have never been able to finish the camino. They gave me advice on how to do the camino . Never forget my stay there.

This was an alternative route? I'm only finding out now! :mrgreen: Anyway, it was beautiful. It has a steep descent with a lot of loose stones (where I fell). David helped me with medical treatment and gave us some homemade lemonade. Some of the best camino memories.

Stayed there. Loved it and Paolo and Belén are so nice people. I hope more people find this place.

Had a really nice dinner and the breakfast, my god I didn't have to eat lunch.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Continuing on the alternative path after Villares de Orbigo but before Santibañez de Valdeiglesias one arrives at another special refuge, Casa de los Dioses, just east of the Cross of Santo Toribio. It is run by David Vidal who takes great care to help passing pilgrims. You can rest in the huge barn or simply enjoy his wonderful goody shelf. Last November during a heavy rain although David was absent the thermos of coffee was hot and his cookies most delicious! His multilingual note read 'Welcome!'. After sitting sheltered, having a coffee and eating a cookie or two I left a donation and a brief note of thanks. Despite the cold rain this was a MOST welcome stop and a perfect example of yet another of the varied and generous caring alternatives available along the camino.... To each his own.

To read more in English about this special man and his special place see this Swedish pilgrim's blog. >> [URL='http://www.fyrfalk.se/caminoblogg/?page_id=2150']http://www.fyrfalkcamino.se/?page_id=59[/URL]

Margaret

I totally agree - the Albergue Villares de Orbigo is one of the very best Albergues on the Camino. Pablo and Belen are charming and go out of their way to help you. The old restored house is delightful. Apart from the dormitories, they also have a couple of private rooms.. Try them - you'll like them!!! Anne
I totally agree. Our only regret was that we were there on a Monday night, the only night of the week when Pablo doesn't cook dinner for the guests. However, there is a bar/cafe across the street, so you won't go hungry if you happen to be there on a Monday.
Jim

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back