• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New and Old

Caminojane

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from SJPdP to Santiago 1May-10June 2013
My name is Jane and I joined this discussion forum just before I walked the Camino Frances with my sister last May (2013) - which makes me old (I am also in my 60's). However, I am also new as I have never posted successfully on this discussion forum before. Ahead of embarking on the pilgrimage last year, I did not think I had anything to contribute. On completion of the journey I was unsure what it had all meant to me - it had been exhausting but hugely valuable to do, but it hadn't "made me a different woman". Now a year on and having put some of my thoughts down in writing, I am clearer - it was very good for me. For what it's worth my advice to newbies is: you do need to do a little preparation beforehand; you need to look after your feet throughout the walk. You should not fall into the temptation to march relentlessly across the Meseta; pace yourself, and you need to have faith in yourself as a "strong" person who can do it. Good luck and Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Jane, thanks for those lines of wisdom. As I understand you did your Camino Frances May 2013. That made me interested in your post. I am planning to do my Camino Frances next year in the month of May. Tell me something about the whole experience you had with regard to the weather. I get mixed feelings about the cold nature of the weather. As you said I am doing some preparations for my walk. Physically and spiritually. I just want to be open to accept all the experiences I may come across :)

Buen camino,
Johnson

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Johnson! I did the Camino Way from St Jean in an unseasonably cold Spanish Spring - it was the same across much of Europe last year. We did get cold at times but in fact it was lovely walking weather until we hit the rain and the mud! We wore one base-layer top, a medium fleece and very lightweight wind proof rain jackets when it was very cold. We took 3 season sleeping bags which would have been too warm if the weather had been more seasonal, but they were fine for us. May was a beautiful time to walk as you have all the glorious spring flowers and the sound of numerous birds all busily pairing up for the new year. It was far busier on the Way than we had expected, but we always found somewhere to sleep and there were many stretches where we were the only pilgrims. Weather is so fickle, it is difficult to give advice - watch the weather forecasts ahead of leaving to get a sense of what is happening. The very best of luck to you; I'm sure you will have a good experience whatever the weather!
Buen Camino
Jane

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.