• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Member; Early planning nervousness

MicA

Hello --
I've already sorted out my travel plans to St Jean and plan to start the Camino Frances around Sept 10th (give or take a few days). I'm a bit nervous, since I had no intentions of the Camino until about 2 weeks ago. It seems some folks plan for years. My travel arrangements are for almost 10 weeks in Spain, starting with the Camino (this provides plenty of time and not feel rushed). I won't have a ton of time to read/research before hand and will end up spending the summer concerned that that I won't be prepared enough. I fully expect that once I start and I'm a few day's into this journey; all of my concerns will be gone and I'll take each day as it comes. Gear; training; I'm not concerned with due to my backpacking experience. I'm very interested in experiencing Spain. The one thing I'm definitely doing is taking a Spanish class before leaving. I've been reading the forums, which are a wonderful resource!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It is normal to be apprehensive about the unknown. I walked the Camino Frances this Spring. Pack light, start slow and the Camino will take care of everything else. I followed the Brierly guide and the information is very accurate. That being said, try to remain open to change along the way. You have a lot of time so let the Camino be your guide not a schedule. Feel free to PM me if I can be of further assistance.

Ultreya,
Joe

You have some backpacking experience, enough time, and will have a bit of Spanish.....you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Follow the yellow arrows, and have fun.

Our first trip we were mt. biking around and thought we'd follow the trail for a few days. We had no idea where it went other than it ended in Santiago. 5,000 km later, we're still doing it, more prepared just because we are interested in the routes, but the first spur of the moment trip is as good as it gets.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There is a lot in your backpacking experience that you should ignore. Read the threads on the equipment you should take. In backpacking, you think a bit about "creature comforts," which are already in place along the Camino. Take just the essentials, and no duplicates of "I might need" items. You will pass stores each day where you can acquire anything that you need. You will not be in wilderness, and all the cups, plates, beds, chairs, etc. will be provided (if you bring a little money).

I found that the Camino Frances is a walk among pilgrims even though it is in Spain. If you expect more of Spain than the scenery, then you may have to work at it a bit. Most of the readily available interaction is with pilgrims, and it is great. In the background, there are plenty of Spanish, and they are very accommodating and friendly. You will need some decent Spanish skills to get more than a smile and rudimentary directions.

Have fun, and expect a physical challenge (Johnnyman seems to have listened exclusively to the enthusiasm, and missed the hard part).

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.