• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New member from Spain

Jose1978

Time of past OR future Camino
2000 - From Astorga
2023 - To be announced
Hi everyone !!

I am a Spaniard citizen living in Alcalá de Henares, a town close to Madrid.
I did my first and only camino over twenty years ago, starting from Astorga, León. This is the last part of the French Camino, I think.
Fast forward twenty-three years, I wanted to do it again this year 2023. My planned date is end of September, when it's not so hot. But it's a tentative date.

Many things have changed since I did the Camino: it wasn't so crowded, reservation were very rare, because almost nobody used cell phones/mobiles. No social networks existed, so (almost) all the pilgrims were completely focused on their journey and their thoughts or feelings. I personally prefer not using cell phones frequently for this journey and not make any hostel reservation.

I may contact with some folks starting the Camino on September or October (I read those pinned messages already). Although I do know you are never alone in the Camino, I need that extra motivation right now.

Thanks for all the resources and congratulations on having this site running for a number of years. Since 2013, right ?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, welcome to the forum! Are you thinking of walking the Camino Frances? We have some very good discussions of many different routes, and a surprising number of members who are familiar with the most obscure routes.

Feel free to ask, if you have any questions how to use the forum.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Bienvenido @Jose1978,

I have walked in the fall and enjoyed it. There were some hot days on the Meseta, there were some cold days on the Meseta, and then there were some days that were just right. (Goldilocks)🤣

If starting in Roncesvales or before you may encounter some albergue closures near the end of October. It was not a problem for me though. I think you should be able to travel without the use of a cell phone, but the conditions on the ground at the time will dictate whether or not you need to reserve a bed.

Go with confidence! You will connect with others when you are ready. You can decide if you want to rely on happenstance or a social app to stay in contact with others. I did meet a fellow forumn member by happenstance on the bus from Pamplona to SJPdP. We walked into the Pilgrim's office and got our credentials together.

¡Deseándote un buen camino!👣😀:cool:

PS: José (hoh-seh) for English speakers;)

Hi, @Jose1978, and welcome to the forum!

We are a good group and are always happy to have more members actually based in Spain or Portugal.

Actually, the site first started in 2004! Here's Ivar's first message.

Buen camino, Laurie
Thanks for your welcoming answer !! I'm impressed by Ivar's story, I didn't know all the details. He saw a market opportunity with the English-spoken pilgrims. I admire the entrepreneurial people.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Bienvenido @Jose1978,

I have walked in the fall and enjoyed it. There were some hot days on the Meseta, there were some cold days on the Meseta, and then there were some days that were just right. (Goldilocks)🤣

If starting in Roncesvales or before you may encounter some albergue closures near the end of October. It was not a problem for me though. I think you should be able to travel without the use of a cell phone, but the conditions on the ground at the time will dictate whether or not you need to reserve a bed.

Go with confidence! You will connect with others when you are ready. You can decide if you want to rely on happenstance or a social app to stay in contact with others. I did meet a fellow forumn member by happenstance on the bus from Pamplona to SJPdP. We walked into the Pilgrim's office and got our credentials together.

¡Deseándote un buen camino!👣😀:cool:

PS: José (hoh-seh) for English speakers;)
Hola, @linkster

When doing my first Camino twenty years ago, I still remember having talked to some pilgrim who said he started in Roncesvalles (with double "l"). However, I started from Astorga because I had only two weeks, which is the same time constraint I have this year.
I can tell you suffered the extreme temperatures in Castilla, hahaha.

I always appreciate any correction to improve my English (and my Spanish too). My signature is changed.

It's the first time I read the expression "by happenstance", I always heart "by chance".

Thanks for your time !!

Are you thinking of walking the Camino de Santiago Complutense which "starts" in your home town, and joins the Madrid Way in Segovia ?
Oh, my God, I can tell you are a "true pilgrim", you did the Camino across a number of European countries. I could ask you to guide me visiting some Spanish cities. I don't know my own country :(

I learnt about "Camino de Santiago Complutense" about a week ago. I may do it some day, but not with this heat. The main reason why I want to do the French one is to recall what I did when I was young. You know some hidden memories may come up when you visit the places you were in :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I learnt about "Camino de Santiago Complutense" about a week ago. I may do it some day, but not with this heat.
There's something very special in a Camino from home, even better when home is on the Camino.

But yeah, it's no easy undertaking no matter how near or far you live from Santiago.
The main reason why I want to do the French one is to recall what I did when I was young. You know some hidden memories may come up when you visit the places you were in :)
He He lovely point -- many of us in here feel the very same way. 😎

Actually, if you did ever walk from home, I would suggest --

Complutense to Segovia ; more or less "official" Madrid Way to Medina de Rioseco (though do NOT bypass Valladolid) --- then > Villabrágima (excellent and lovely) > Tordehumos > Villagarcía de Campos (excellent and lovely) > Villanueva de los Caballeros (OK too) > San Pedro de Latarce (excellent and lovely) > Camino de Sureste from there to Astorga then etc.

I guess you could even do an old-fashioned there and back again Camino, in which case I'd say Santiago to Sahagún, then official Madrid and Complutense to home -- the route southward from Sahagún is far less lonely than the northerly.

Last edited:
Actually, if you did ever walk from home, I would suggest --

Complutense to Segovia ; more or less "official" Madrid Way to Medina de Rioseco (though do NOT bypass Valladolid) --- then > Villabrágima (excellent and lovely) > Tordehumos > Villagarcía de Campos (excellent and lovely) > Villanueva de los Caballeros (OK too) > San Pedro de Latarce (excellent and lovely) > Camino de Sureste from there to Astorga then etc.

I guess you could even do an old-fashioned there and back again Camino, in which case I'd say Santiago to Sahagún, then official Madrid and Complutense to home -- the route southward from Sahagún is far less lonely than the northerly.
I'm quite impressed, thanks for this customized route for people living in Alcalá de Henares. This town -or rather, only the historical part- is declared a World Heritage Site, it has one of most important European universities during the Renassaince; and the Cervantes prize ceremony takes place here annually. Sorry for the rant, I can't stop from saying the the Complutense University was relocated to Madrid city by the XIX century, that's why it's called Complutense University of Madrid. It is named after the ancient Roman settlement of Complutum.

Enough is enough 😆 I'm going to save this route, I really appreciate it !!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm quite impressed, thanks for this customized route for people living in Alcalá de Henares. This town -or rather, only the historical part- is declared a World Heritage Site, it has one of most important European universities during the Renassaince; and the Cervantes prize ceremony takes place here annually. Sorry for the rant, I can't stop from saying the the Complutense University was relocated to Madrid city by the XIX century, that's why it's called Complutense University of Madrid. It is named after the ancient Roman settlement of Complutum.

Enough is enough 😆 I'm going to save this route, I really appreciate it !!
Hi Jose. Welcome to the Forum
I'm a Galician living in Madrid ( Canillejas)
Actually, Alcala de Henares has the denomination of "Ciudad" since 1687.
In relation to Alcala - Segovia, I see on Internet two mountain stages: Miraflores- Rascafria and Rascafria - La Granja de San Ildefonso. So, it is clearly harder than Madrid - Segovia.

Hi Jose. Welcome to the Forum
I'm a Galician living in Madrid ( Canillejas)
Actually, Alcala de Henares has the denomination of "Ciudad" since 1687.
In relation to Alcala - Segovia, I see on Internet two mountain stages: Miraflores- Rascafria and Rascafria - La Granja de San Ildefonso. So, it is clearly harder than Madrid - Segovia.
Madrid - Segovia only has one, but it does have the Fuenfria Pass, the highest point in any Camino in Spain.

Madrid - Segovia only has one, but it does have the Fuenfria Pass, the highest point in any Camino in Spain.
Yes, about 600 mts of elevation gain from Cercedilla. You have almost the same E.G. from Miraflores - to Puerto de la Morcuera plus 800 mts from Rascafria to Puerto del Reventón.. It would be much easier, but longer, walking from Miraflores to Manzanares and join there Camino de Madrid.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Seems there's a tertiary route on one of the highest passes over the Pyrenees which is slightly higher -- not much though.

Fuenfria sounds very much like being the highest point of any major or secondary route in Spain.

I learnt about "Camino de Santiago Complutense" about a week ago. I may do it some day, but not with this heat.

I walked the Complutense camino from Alcalá de Henares to Segovia in November a couple of years ago, taking 6 days. I enjoyed it very much. Highlights included the handsome towns of Torrelaguna, Miraflores de la Sierra and La Granja de San Ildefonso. There was quite a lot of elevation gain, with the passes of La Morcuera (between Miraflores and Rascafría) at almost 1800m, and Reventón between Rascafría and La Granja - at 2039m, significantly higher than Fuenfría. It was one of the most spectacular days of any camino I've ever walked, helped by a thick fall of snow the night before.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.