• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Pilgrims to start in September

The Cheer Fairies

Time of past OR future Camino
Fall (2018)
We have many questions so I'll post as simply as possible. Many thanks in advance to guidance and advice.
  • Obtaining a passport in SJPP vs obtaining one through local Pilgrims Chapter near home town in USA?
  • Flying into Barrone mid-day Saturday. Should we spend the night there or travel to SJPP and spend the night there?
  • Pre-booking accomodations along the walk vs taking our chances?
  • Cell service issues? (we have older family members we need to contact occasionally in the evenings)
  • Currency vs using CC along the walk?
  • We only have 7 days for this trip. We're in good health (not Olympic athlete level), but pretty good shape for mid 50's. Our plan is to make it to Logrono. Is this doable?
Sharon & Candice
The Cheer Fairies
(No....we're not cheer leaders. We've just been told many times we "flutter in and bring cheer to people we're with")

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Cash is king on camino accepted at albergues, bars, shops.

Logroño is doable. Yet, try to allow the road to determine how far you go.

You can put your cell on airplane mode then send and receive text messages. You can also facetime anytime if both parties have an iPhone.

Buen camino.

Cash is king on camino accepted at albergues, bars, shops.

Logroño is doable. Yet, try to allow the road to determine how far you go.

You can put your cell on airplane mode then send and receive text messages. You can also facetime anytime if both parties have an iPhone.

Buen camino.
Thank you very much!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We are also walking in September. We begin Leon and walk thru to Santiago de Compostela.

Buen Camino mis compernos perogrinos

Welcome Sharon and Candice,

all good questions.

It really doesn't matter where you get your passport from but I'd recommend visiting the pilgrim office anyway. They'll be able to give you good advice about the trail ahead and provide a guide to all the albergues.

I'm assuming you're flying into Biarritz? From there most people bus to Bayonne (there's a regular local service which takes about 20-30 mins) and then bus or train to SJPdP. Given your slightly limited time I'd head to SJPdP the day you arrive and jetlag permitting be ready to walk in the morning, also it's just a really good way to meet people you'll be walking with if you're there before you walk.

I always just take my chances with accommodation and haven't had a major issue in 2 full Cafe, but note that I tend to start early and finish early, if you're finishing much after 4 each day it could be tricky.

@nycwalking walking is right about the other questions, cell service is generally pretty good.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Welcome Sharon and Candice,

all good questions.

It really doesn't matter where you get your passport from but I'd recommend visiting the pilgrim office anyway. They'll be able to give you good advice about the trail ahead and provide a guide to all the albergues.

I'm assuming you're flying into Biarritz? From there most people bus to Bayonne (there's a regular local service which takes about 20-30 mins) and then bus or train to SJPdP. Given your slightly limited time I'd head to SJPdP the day you arrive and jetlag permitting be ready to walk in the morning, also it's just a really good way to meet people you'll be walking with if you're there before you walk.

I always just take my chances with accommodation and haven't had a major issue in 2 full Cafe, but note that I tend to start early and finish early, if you're finishing much after 4 each day it could be tricky.

@nycwalking walking is right about the other questions, cell service is generally pretty good.

Buen Camino,

Rob.
Thank you, Rob. We're excited and anxious all at the same time. Do you have a recommendation for accommodations in SJPP?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We have many questions so I'll post as simply as possible. Many thanks in advance to guidance and advice.
  • Obtaining a passport in SJPP vs obtaining one through local Pilgrims Chapter near home town in USA?
  • Flying into Barrone mid-day Saturday. Should we spend the night there or travel to SJPP and spend the night there?
  • Pre-booking accomodations along the walk vs taking our chances?
  • Cell service issues? (we have older family members we need to contact occasionally in the evenings)
  • Currency vs using CC along the walk?
  • We only have 7 days for this trip. We're in good health (not Olympic athlete level), but pretty good shape for mid 50's. Our plan is to make it to Logrono. Is this doable?
Sharon & Candice
The Cheer Fairies
(No....we're not cheer leaders. We've just been told many times we "flutter in and bring cheer to people we're with")

Hi, and a warm welcome to the Forum :)

The local Pilgrim Chapter is always a good source for your Credencial (passport). They will also fill in the relevant information inside the Credencial for you. American Pilgrims On the Camino also have a terrific FAQ on their website. You can also order your Credencial online, and it will come to you, filled out with your information, in a timely fashion.

A good option to go from Biarritz airport to SJPdP is the Express Bouricott shuttle. It is comfortable and quick. It is popular and quickly fills up the closer to your departure date your are, so make a reservation ASAP if you want to use their services.

Use booking.com to look at lodgings in SJPdP. September is a busy tourist and pilgrim month, and a quick scan shows that lodging is quickly filling up throughout that month. I would book reservations ASAP for St Jean. A lot of pilgrims have enjoyed Gite Makila and Beilari, but there are a good number of decent lodging choices in St. Jean.

Pre-booking accomodations is not really necessary, and can get in the way of your daily walk: if you pre-book, you will have a set place to be at night and you don't have the flexibility to change your mind if you find that you want to walk longer or shorter that day. Outside of SJPdP, Orisson (if you want to stay there) and Roncesvalles, I wouldn't do any pre-booking before starting your trip.

If you decide that you wish to break up the first stage into Roncesvalles by staying at Refuge Orisson, you need to secure a reservation ASAP. Contact Orisson here. You can also contact Roncesvalles Colegiate Albergue for a reservation, which might be a good idea.

Once you start your Camino, you will know how you feel and how far you are most likely to walk on a day-to-day basis. If you find that, at the end of a day that you want to reserve a place for the next night, then you can use a booking.com type of app on your smartphone to easily do so.

Also, keep in mind that if you find all lodging full at your day's end stop, you can take a taxi to the next town. Then the next morning, take a taxi back to the location you had stopped the previous day to continue your Camino.

Camino is primarily a cash economy. Most pilgrims will carry 300 to 400 Euros, then when they are down to 50 to 100 Euros they will use a debit card to withdraw more Euros from an ATM. Use the Forum search engine for information on ATMs, debit cards, currency exchanges and fees, etc. These topics have been covered extensively, so the search engine will provide the information you need. It will also help your research on most other concerns as well :)

The search engine function is at the top of the page and to the right in the menu bar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, and a warm welcome to the Forum :)

The local Pilgrim Chapter is always a good source for your Credencial (passport). They will also fill in the relevant information inside the Credencial for you. American Pilgrims On the Camino also have a terrific FAQ on their website. You can also order your Credencial online, and it will come to you, filled out with your information, in a timely fashion.

A good option to go from Biarritz airport to SJPdP is the Express Bouricott shuttle. It is comfortable and quick. It is popular and quickly fills up the closer to your departure date your are, so make a reservation ASAP if you want to use their services.

Use booking.com to look at lodgings in SJPdP. September is a busy tourist and pilgrim month, and a quick scan shows that lodging is quickly filling up throughout that month. I would book reservations ASAP for St Jean. A lot of pilgrims have enjoyed Gite Makila and Beilari, but there are a good number of decent lodging choices in St. Jean.

Pre-booking accomodations is not really necessary, and can get in the way of your daily walk: if you pre-book, you will have a set place to be at night and you don't have the flexibility to change your mind if you find that you want to walk longer or shorter that day. Outside of SJPdP, Orisson (if you want to stay there) and Roncesvalles, I wouldn't do any pre-booking before starting your trip.

If you decide that you wish to break up the first stage into Roncesvalles by staying at Refuge Orisson, you need to secure a reservation ASAP. Contact Orisson here. You can also contact Roncesvalles Colegiate Albergue for a reservation, which might be a good idea.

Once you start your Camino, you will know how you feel and how far you are most likely to walk on a day-to-day basis. If you find that, at the end of a day that you want to reserve a place for the next night, then you can use a booking.com type of app on your smartphone to easily do so.

Also, keep in mind that if you find all lodging full at your day's end stop, you can take a taxi to the next town. Then the next morning, take a taxi back to the location you had stopped the previous day to continue your Camino.

Camino is primarily a cash economy. Most pilgrims will carry 300 to 400 Euros, then when they are down to 50 to 100 Euros they will use a debit card to withdraw more Euros from an ATM. Use the Forum search engine for information on ATMs, debit cards, currency exchanges and fees, etc. These topics have been covered extensively, so the search engine will provide the information you need. It will also help your research on most other concerns as well :)

The search engine function is at the top of the page and to the right in the menu bar.
Many Many thanks for this information. I'll work on all of your suggestions right away. If any others have advice, please pass along - we're open for more. S&C

We're taking the shuttle mid day from Biarritz to SJPP Saturday, Sept 15 and have room for others to reduce the cost for us all. Please contact me if anyone wishes to join us. Thanks! S&C

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We're taking the shuttle mid day from Biarritz to SJPP Saturday, Sept 15 and have room for others to reduce the cost for us all. Please contact me if anyone wishes to join us. Thanks! S&C

I am so glad to hear your arrangements are going well. :)

It is important to note that Express Bouricott is by reservation only, no walk ups; the available seats on a given shuttle are in a state of constant change as reservations are taken. It is very likely that your shuttle will be full by the time of your scheduled departure. So if anyone contacts you to get a ride, it is important to immediately direct them to EB's reservation site so that they have a spot before your shuttle is sold out.

I am so glad to hear your arrangements are going well. :)

It is important to note that Express Bouricott is by reservation only, no walk ups; the available seats on a given shuttle are in a state of constant change as reservations are taken. It is very likely that your shuttle will be full by the time of your scheduled departure. So if anyone contacts you to get a ride, it is important to immediately direct them to EB's reservation site so that they have a spot before your shuttle is sold out.

This is why I'm asking for "add-ins", so we can notify them as soon as possible. Thank you.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back