• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New SIM card for iPhone in Seville

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieJan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2012
Via de la Plata 2013
Chemin le Puy (2015 hopefully)
Any suggestions about purchasing new sim for iPhone 4 in Seville - arriving from Australia April 15 to begin VDLP on 17th.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Walk in to any of the sevice providers and ask for a 'Pay as you go' SIM card - you will need to produce your passport - in Seville of course.

Any suggestions about purchasing new sim for iPhone 4
You need an unlocked phone, and it just became illegal in the U.S. to unlock iPhones. If you have the unlocked phone, your choice will be voice or data. If you get a SIM for phone calls, you don't get data reception. If you get a SIM for data, phone calls are a bit expensive (on prepaid service). You get both worlds only with a plan, which they do not sell for just a month! I have always used Vodafone, but Orange is marketing aggressively in Spain. They may have some deals.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm planning to walk the VdlP this fall and am wondering which carrier has the best coverage over the length of the VdlP - the big ones in Spain seem to be Movistar, Vodephone and Orange. I have an unlocked phone and am just looking for phone coverage, not data. Any suggestions?

Dick

Vodafone coverage is better than Orange (I walked with someone who had Orange, and we could compare). I don't know about Movistar.

Thanks, Falcon. Sounds like Vodaphone is the way to go and there seem to be lots of their stores in Sevilla. Now if I could just figure out store hours in Spain!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In general in Spain, Movistar or Vodafone are known for best coverage. Orange, Yoigo, and several other smaller companies get their coverage from Movistar or Vodafone.

I use Yoigo.es and if there is no Yoigo coverage, it switches over to Movistar (with no extra roaming cost). They have this deal, but it gives me Yoigo coverage + Movistar coverage for a good deal.

"Pay as you go" in Spain is called "Tarjeta":
http://www.yoigo.com/tarifas/tarjeta/index.php
..would be one example.

Buen Camino!
Ivar

So I'll be bringing an iPhone 5 which Apple / Verizon (USA) represent as being already unlocked. I am wondering about the increasing availability of prepaid Nano SIMs in Spain for voice and data as this is a relatively new sim format. Not too interested in clipping the sim plastic as a work-around solution.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Milepost99 said:
So I'll be bringing an iPhone 5 which Apple / Verizon (USA) represent as being already unlocked. I am wondering about the increasing availability of prepaid Nano SIMs in Spain for voice and data as this is a relatively new sim format. Not too interested in clipping the sim plastic as a work-around solution.
I am using an iPhone 4S with the new micro sim. At the Yoigo store, they had a "clipper" and made the micro sim for me right there. This was back when micro sims were new... might be more standard now since a lot of phones use them.... so they might just have them ready. Not sure.

Milepost99 said:

This could very well be a major problem. I did not find a single store (any brand) that had micro sims or the cutter for the 4S in 2012.
The chance of finding a Nano Sim may be small unless there were a lot more iPhone5s sold.
I also am taking a iPhone5 tihis year.
I may pre order a sim from LeBara before I leave so that I have the ability to get it operational before I get to Spain this time.

It would be interesting to know if anyone has actually found a Nano Sim for the iPhone5 in Spain????

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I used my 3Gs in November with a Vodafone SIM. Voice and data were satisfactory.

Thanks Falcon. I am from UK and during a quick trip to Bilbao to visit friends recently I used my UK package for a few quick calls without problem. Obviously on a long trip it will be worth my while to use a Spanish chip. I have no idea whether my phone is unlocked. Can anyone advise me on how can I find this out?
allan

Al the optimist said:
Thanks Falcon. I am from UK and during a quick trip to Bilbao to visit friends recently I used my UK package for a few quick calls without problem. Obviously on a long trip it will be worth my while to use a Spanish chip. I have no idea whether my phone is unlocked. Can anyone advise me on how can I find this out?
allan
Find someone that has a different mobil provider than you (where you live)... put their sim in your phone... if it works, you should be ok...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You can walk around town from shop to shop or go to Il Corte Ingles and they are all there in one place. Compare, choose and buy. And open late. Great service. Orange was good coverage (I left the phone off during the day) and inexpensive international SMS. I found 3G to be expensive when there were lots of WIFI spots. Good luck.

Thanks TGManchester- that sounds perfect. staying right near that store.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm planning to walk the VdlP this fall and am wondering which carrier has the best coverage over the length of the VdlP - the big ones in Spain seem to be Movistar, Vodephone and Orange. I have an unlocked phone and am just looking for phone coverage, not data. Any suggestions?

Dick

Just wondering when you're starting, Dick? I usually walk alone but would be grateful for company for the first stage after reding reports of robberies at knife point!

for the vdlp do not buy an orange sim card. i have extremely bad connectivity with orange during february. sometimes i went for 5 days without being able to use my smartphone. go for vodafone or movistar. for one stop shop, go to el corte ingles. they sell all types of sim card.

buen camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.