• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

new to the forum

alain

We are new to the forum.
We walked the camino frances from Leon to Santiago in july/august2006 averaging 25km daily. We then took a bus to finisterre - a lot of that area was burning (vandals). We had the usual pilgrims physical pains. Our first day from Leon to Villar de mazarife was rough as we started late (about 9.30am, after mailing to santiago our excess clothes) and it was quite hot. It got better after that, as we started walking early, usually at 6am. Walking the camino was a really wonderful experience, especially meeting with so many pilgrims from all over the world.
We flew from Toronto to Madrid and took a train to Leon where we spent our first night.
We were fortunate to have a german shepherd dog walking side by side with us for part of the way up to O'cebreiro. At one point, where the trail split we walked to the right instead of going left (we did not see the arrow)- fortunately the dog was waiting for us and we got back on the correct trail.

We are hoping to volunteer as hospitaleros , for a couple of weeks, at rabanal del camino refugio Gaucelmo some time in the near future.
We would like to hear from anybody with experience as hospitaleros.

alain & janet

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Alain and Janet,
Welcome to the Forum. I'm a member of the Confraternity of St. James in England and worked as hospitalero this year at Refugio Gaucelmo, Rabanal.
It's really great to know of people like yourselves who want to put something back into the Pilgrimage. As pilgrim and hospitalero I've met great people from Canada.
Regarding the work as hospitalero - it's hard but very rewarding work; in the last two weeks of May we welcomed 475 pilgrims from 29 countries.
So to get to what you want - who to contact. The CSJ Hospitalero Co-ordinator is Tricia Shaw, and I might as well give you her E-mail address rather than send you through the CSJ site.
stuartandtricia@btinternet.com
If you have any problems contacting Tricia please get back to me, but meanwhile all the best in your venture. Perhaps you will be pleased to know that the normal practice of the CSJ is to put, as far as is possible, new hospitaleros with others who are experienced so you are not dropped in at the deep end! Also if you want to ask questions please get in touch - but maybe the private message might be better for this sort of topic. Will be interested to hear how you get on.
Best wishes,
Brendan

HI Brendan

Thanks for the email for Tricia, we'll email her. We're glad to hear about "not being thrown in the deep end". We spoke to somebody who volonteered as hopitalero and he said that it is not important to know spanish as we are fluent in english and french. However we are learning spanish as we want to be able to communicate with spanish speaking pilgrims.
thanks again

alain & janet

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.