• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New to this forum. Planning Camino by bike

Odyssey-50

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2019)
I'm new to this forum and planning to bike the Camino. I am not sure where to post this, my first thread, so any advice and tips will be most welcome.
I am arriving Paris 11th Sept. and flying straight to Biarritz; I have a tentative booking from Biarritz to SJPP by Express Bouricott at 1800. Wondering if anybody would like to share the ride??....
I have booked a 2 night stay in SJPP and I am planning to rent a bike from bikeiberia (I will probably finalize the bike rental in the next couple of days).
Although I would prefer to book "drop-in" accommodation along the route, so as not to tie myself down to a fixed schedule, my main concern is bike security for the night. Is it better to pre-book accommodation? (That way I can get confirmation from the host at hostel/abergue regarding availability of secure-bike-storage). OR is it simple enough to get a "secure-bike" accommodation along the way?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello
I hope that you have a great camino. AS for bike parking at night most/a good amount of the alburgues have bike parking.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Second I would look at the biking the camino section for more information on bike issues.

Hola!

Most of the albergues on Camino Frances have more or less secure spaces for bikes. Private, municipal and parish ones. I use those especially designed spaces - sometimes modern, sometimes not - but I still lock my bike. Even in wooden shed in the middle of Meseta. Always.

In general bikes and their owners are welcomed and well looked after. This is my experience of the Camino. In total there are only four or five albergues on the Way that are small and do not have space for bikes. But they will still try to help you❤

Saying that if you come across the albergue that doesn't have secure enough space for bikes do not hesitate to change the albergue or move your bike to safe place. Safety of your bike comes first. Full stop. If anything happens Xunta de Galicia is not going to pay for your damaged by vandals bike.

Other than that you will be perfectly fine. No need to book albergues beforehand. Just enjoy the ride and stay for the night where you want to stay;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last but not least. Do not leave you bike anywhere in: Pamplona, Logrono (with the exception of stands by the cathedral; take the panniers with you), Burgos (with the exception of stands in front of the cathedral, again take the panniers; beware of professional beggars), Leon, Ponferrada and Santiago.

In the cities mentioned above you can go to the albergue municipal and ask hospitaliero if it is ok to leave your bike in albergue for two hours. If it is not crazy busy, quite possibly they will say yes. Judge if it is ok to leave panniers as well.

Oh and usually it takes about two days to get used to rented bike:)

Buen Camino!

Last but not least. Do not leave you bike anywhere in: Pamplona, Logrono (with the exception of stands by the cathedral; take the panniers with you), Burgos (with the exception of stands in front of the cathedral, again take the panniers; beware of professional beggars), Leon, Ponferrada and Santiago.

In the cities mentioned above you can go to the albergue municipal and ask hospitaliero if it is ok to leave your bike in albergue for two hours. If it is not crazy busy, quite possibly they will say yes. Judge if it is ok to leave panniers as well.

Oh and usually it takes about two days to get used to rented bike:)

Buen Camino!

Thanks Kat
I have read many of your posts and also your "inner self" publication. Excellent reading indeed.
My arm is being twisted by a buddy of mine who wants to travel with me but wants to WALK the Camino, so I may just change my mind about biking this session and leave it for a future expedition.
Only time will tell which of my inner demons wins the walk/bike decision.

Hola Odyssey-50!

Thank you:)

I cycled different routes numerous times, but I still remember my first walking Camino. I think that it is slightly easier to grasp the spirit of the Way when you are walking. On the other hand...the most spectacular metamorphosis I witnessed was a complete alteration of the cyclist. I will never forget that.

September is the best month of the year for cycling and walking. Crème de la crème of the Camino.

The answer is inside your heart as you said.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.