• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Newbe here

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome - and it is not just one way, I'm sure you will have contributions to make!

Enjoy - and enjoy your planning too

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola @Maverick19 .
Another welcome. This forum and the Camino Family will be more than willing to help you with your quest. It is probable that 90% of the questions you will think off have all been asked (some more than others) and all have been answered. Use the search function as much as possible, but if you want a current answer to 3 or 5 year old post then we are here to help. Don't worry if the responses appear more than a bit overwhelming, you have signed yourself up to a bunch of camino fanatics. Again welcome and buen camino.

Welcome and Buen Camino ! You have come to the repository of everything dealing with the Camino. All one needs to do is investigate everything from photos to packing your backpack to clothing to what soaps to bring. It is all here. If you can't find an answer ask and someone in the forum will have the answer for you ! :)

Buen Camino !!! :)

Hello newcomer,

Having started the Camino Frances in March of 2018, I completed it in April of 2018 and am planning on doing it again in 2019. I have the following reccomendations:
1. Shoes: Unless you have week ankles, I reccomend running shoes or trail runners for the Camino Frances. However, boots will be more apporpriate if you do it in March or early April or anytime from October to early April - as there are periods of snow and rain during this time of year. Whatever, you bring, MAKE SURE THAT YOU BREAK THEM IN BEFORE FOR AT LEAST 2 MONTHS PRIOR.
2. Backpack of 50L and under should do the job nicely.
3. Clothes: quick dry and lightweight: 2 shirts; 2 pants; 3 underwears; 1 fleece jacket or more depenging on season. PJs are optional.
4. Socks: wool - 3 pairs.
5. Map/Guidebook
6. Rain Gear
7. Hat (all year) and sunglasses (for summer months)
8. Gloves if you are walking it in October to early April.
9. Walking poles with rubber tips - they help take some of the strain off your joints whilst going uphill and downhill.
10. A water 750ml-1L bottle/container - I personally am NOT a fan of the water bladders that you put into your backpack as it is not convenient.
11. A pocket knife
12. First aid kit for blisters.
13. Toiletries including some toilet paper.
14. Sleeping bag: not necessary during the summer months. Actually at the time I did it, i slept in private rooms in private alburgues and/or hotels so I didn't need it.
15. Quick dry towel
16. phone
17. End of day footwear like sandals of flip flops - lightweight.
18. Ibuprofen and Voltaren extra-strength
19. sun cream

I would research on how to avoid blisters. You will still get some but you'll be better prepared.

Walk at your pace! Some people walk fast and some slow. When you meet someone and you want to walk together try to walk at your pace and by that I mean walking somewhat slower is fine but to speed up your pace to keep up with the other traveller will result in either with a blister(s) and some very sore muscles and joints. Remember this is NOT A RACE or a marathon! Relax and enjoy.

LISTEN TO YOUR BODY: Your body will let you know when it is time to take a break or several breaks, to stop for the day, and to take a rest day which is often ignored.

LISTEN TO YOUR FEET: they will always warn you (such as rubbing, hard sport and hot spot) of an impending foot problems. Take breaks and take off your shoes and socks and let them air dry. Apply vaseline on feet on wet days and stick anti-perspirant on hot days.

Do not carry much supplies such as toiletries, first aid, food, or other as there is bascially a town or village within a few hours reach on the trail that will have some supplies.

Leave at times that are convenient: Some people will want to leave super early and in so doing they will wake everybody else up. DON'T BE AFRAID TO SHHHH THEM!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back