• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Newbie from Northern Ireland

Balian

Hi Everyone, great forum.

Like a lot of people my first knowledge of the Camino came from the film 'The Way' and it was immediately added to my bucket list. Problem is when could I get time to take 6 weeks off work and away from kids.

After reading this forum I found out that that was not the only 'Way' and other options are available that do not require so much time.

So flights are booked for myself and my partner we will be completing Camino Ingles next month.

No doubt you will be seeing lots of posts from myself looking for advice and tips in the coming weeks :D

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sometimes your posts gets buried on a busy day Balian, but you won't find a more friendly, helpful forum anywhere. There will always be someone who will have information on your questions.
Sometimes you will even get too much information. :)

Last edited:
Friend of mine just back from Camino ingles
He said casa rurales looked very nice and would consider staying on them if doing it again

Hi Balian,
A belated welcome-better late than never! If you're 'time poor' and/or with your family at the 'hands on' stage it's a great idea to take one of the shorter less traveled routes. I did a 'dry run' from SDC to Fisterra the year before I walked the CF and it really helped my confidence by proving that I could walk longer distances. Unfortunately in my case those shorter journeys just 'scratched an itch' and the urge to go on pilgrimage returned even more strongly than the initial impetus. I suspect that's because each time I walk I somehow, and this sounds a bit odd, become a little more 'grounded' and 'Camino savvy'.......... you have been warned ;)
Savour every moment.
N

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Friend of mine just back from Camino ingles
He said casa rurales looked very nice and would consider staying on them if doing it again

Thanks, I am putting together a list of preferable places to stay on route and will take a good look at this one :)

Hi Balian,
A belated welcome-better late than never! If you're 'time poor' and/or with your family at the 'hands on' stage it's a great idea to take one of the shorter less traveled routes. I did a 'dry run' from SDC to Fisterra the year before I walked the CF and it really helped my confidence by proving that I could walk longer distances. Unfortunately in my case those shorter journeys just 'scratched an itch' and the urge to go on pilgrimage returned even more strongly than the initial impetus. I suspect that's because each time I walk I somehow, and this sounds a bit odd, become a little more 'grounded' and 'Camino savvy'.......... you have been warned ;)
Savour every moment.
N

I am sure the Camino Ingles will only increase my wanting to do more. Hoping this will week will prepare me for any future walks.

Already looking at 2 weeks next year and possible Camino Portugese or part of Camino Frances.

Hi Balian,
You will enjoy the Ingles :) In fact you might well think you are back home here in 'Norn Iron' such is the resemblance to our own countryside!! I walked the camino in early May over 5 days and used the Johnny Walker guide. It was excellent with very detailed walking instructions and lots of ideas for accommodation. We stopped in Pontedueme (Bar Luis), Betanzos (the new alburgue in the town), Hospital de Bruma (the alburgue) and in Sigueiro (Cafe Miras): all were very good. The last days walking was relatively short (16km) and we were easily able to get into Santiago in time for the Pilgrims Mass.

Enjoy your walk,

Buen viaje,

S.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Balian from Ponferrada on the Frances. A wee word of advice if you are from Norn Iron bring the sun cream the Farmacias to day were registering 42 degrees and we as you we'll know are not used to that. This is our second Frances and it was not like this the first time round. I just means a very early start. I hope you enjoy your adventure.

Thanks Wayfarer, at least one person took the time to say hi and welcome me to the forum.

Friendly bunch here lol :p

Hello Balian, wasn't looking on the forum on the 30th I was on our second day doing the Ingles and returned home only this week, so a very late welcome but a friendly one:) If there are any questions or help you need please don't hesitate to ask there many on the forum to help.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for all the welcomes :D

I will be putting a post on the Camino Ingles route regarding places to stay and possibility of splitting the Betanzos to Hospital De Burma route, all advice and suggestions most appreciated.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.