• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Newbie heading off in April!!

Anniew

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2017)
Hi everyone. Just booked my ticket from Dublin Ireland for my Camino in April 2017. So excited! I wonder if anyone else arriving in Bayonne on same day? I hope to get bus to Bayonne from Biarritz airport but tight window to get train to SJPP on 18th April. Maybe possible to get together with others and get a Hire taxi to SJPP?

I have most of my gear now and starting to wear in my new boots. Checking off stuff off lists and weighing. Thanks to the forum so much helpful information. I am nearly info'd out!!

My only worry at present is booking Orisson and hoping that the Napoleon route will be passable then. If not I feel a little concerned about the Valcarlos route. Will there be snow then I wonder?

I have decided to buy poles in SJPP as I will not be checking in my pack in case of being lost. I hope my 35 litre pack will be accepted as cabin baggage. Security has become very strict at Dublin airport and even though they said in a recent phone enquiry that they would permit poles with rubber tips and broken up in bag in hand luggage, why do I not believe them? Would appreciate any comments on my situation

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you are arriving with too tight a window to catch the last train, I would suggest staying in Bayonne for the night. You need to pay for accommodations and food in either location. Any difference in costs will be absorbed by savings in not taking a taxi. The first train leaves Bayonne early and arrives in SJPdP with enough time for you to walk to Orisson, Valcarlos, or Roncesvalles.

There is no way to know snow conditions before day of travel. By all accounts, its varies quite a lot from year to year.

Check your bag. Then there are no hassles and you are not causing a nuisance to others on the plane.

Hi Annie and welcome to the forum.

You definitely won't be the only pilgrim on your flight out so keep and eye out and strike up acquaintance in the departure area/gate. Rest assured they will be as eager as you are to split the costs of a taxi but might be a little shy-so be brave and take the initiative! (other pilgrims are pretty easy to spot by the way)

April is an absolutely great time to go but, as the weather can vary from one day to the next, just follow the advice of the pilgrims office. And yes indeed there could well be snow not just going over the Pyrenees but up to Foncebadon and O'Cebreiro as well. There is a steady stream of other pilgrims leaving SJPP in April so don't feel apprehensive or embarrassed about tagging on to a group/another person if you feel nervous or unsure.
Valcarlos route is grand but just take care if the snow is deep and if so maybe choose to walk more on the road.

Have a wonderful journey.

Nell

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi everyone. Just booked my ticket from Dublin Ireland for my Camino in April 2017. So excited! I wonder if anyone else arriving in Bayonne on same day? I hope to get bus to Bayonne from Biarritz airport but tight window to get train to SJPP on 18th April. Maybe possible to get together with others and get a Hire taxi to SJPP?

I have most of my gear now and starting to wear in my new boots. Checking off stuff off lists and weighing. Thanks to the forum so much helpful information. I am nearly info'd out!!

My only worry at present is booking Orisson and hoping that the Napoleon route will be passable then. If not I feel a little concerned about the Valcarlos route. Will there be snow then I wonder?

I have decided to buy poles in SJPP as I will not be checking in my pack in case of being lost. I hope my 35 litre pack will be accepted as cabin baggage. Security has become very strict at Dublin airport and even though they said in a recent phone enquiry that they would permit poles with rubber tips and broken up in bag in hand luggage, why do I not believe them? Would appreciate any comments on my situation

Try the app BlaBlaCar is very good for trips from one one city to another!!
You can see is used by people that own a car and for people that need a trip ,( you can visualize a few days before if there's trips available your way ).
Good luck and Buen Camino!

Thanks so much everyone for your advice. Now that I have stopped"lurking" on this forum and jumped in, I really feel part of things and the fact of going is certainly more real. I am starting to feel so excited!

Hi Annie, welcome to the forum.

I've taken poles as hand luggage from Dublin without any problems (taken apart & with rubber tips as you said), but there's no guarantee that this will always be the case. You'll have no difficulty getting a pair in St. Jean if that's what you prefer. Re. your 35litre backpack, it's best to measure it and make sure that it fits the Ryanair specifications. If you decide to check in your bag, the luggage usually comes out pretty quickly at Biarritz.

Re. transport to St. Jean - Express Bourricot is highly recommended by forum members. They ferry people by minibus, so you'll share the ride with other people (which is a nice start to your Camino).

Buen Camino and enjoy the planning!
Nuala

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

My husband and I are going on the 3rd April but there are 4 trains per day from Bayonne, it only takes an hour and cost 7 euros, so who needs a taxi!!!

My husband and I are going on the 3rd April but there are 4 trains per day from Bayonne, it only takes an hour and cost 7 euros, so who needs a taxi!!!

Thanks Isabel. I realised about 4 trains today. I had read another page incorrectly!!! Yes, I will have time to get a train.

"My only worry at present is booking Orisson and hoping that the Napoleon route will be passable then. If not I feel a little concerned about the Valcarlos route. Will there be snow then I wonder?"

We walked last April and Orisson was closed as also was the Napoleon route until March 1. We walked the Valcarlos route and yes there was much snow then. But it was a great walk. We had 3 more days of snow after Roncesvalles. Perhaps you will have better weather.
Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
"My only worry at present is booking Orisson and hoping that the Napoleon route will be passable then. If not I feel a little concerned about the Valcarlos route. Will there be snow then I wonder?"

We walked last April and Orisson was closed as also was the Napoleon route until March 1. We walked the Valcarlos route and yes there was much snow then. But it was a great walk. We had 3 more days of snow after Roncesvalles. Perhaps you will have better weather.
Buen Camino

JFGregory:

In 2010 and 2011 we crossed the Napoleon route on March 23rd and there was no snow. Weather is something that can not be controlled or predicted. I would not waste a moment worrying about it. You will be walking with others and will have to adjust to whatever conditions you encounter.

Ultreya,
Joe

Currently the Napoleon route is closed until April 1, 2017. When you do begin you camino at SJPdP stop at the Pilgrim Office, at 39 rue de La Citadelle to learn the current weather/trail conditions prior to setting off.
The office is open every day and from early in the morning until late at night ie after the arrival of the last bus/train. The helpful volunteers can provide you with a Credential, stamp, list of albergues as well as current weather and trail conditions. It is a great spot to meet and greet other pilgrims.

Stay safe and Buen camino!

Hi Anniew, My husband & I are arriving in Biarritz on the 18th April (at 12.30pm) and would be interested in sharing a taxi to SJPP.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi MauraO
Just saw your post. I have booked Express Bourricot from airport to SJPP. A German lady TAnja and another are also sharing taxi. You will be arriving on my flight so perhaps you can get in touch with express and book with them too. We have to book with them individually to be accepted they told me.

Look forward to meeting you. I'm getting a little excited now but trying to remain calm until I am on that plane. With my life, I don't want anything to crop up to stymie my long awaited journey!

By the way, another last minute decision of mine, are you taking a head torch for early mornings? Not sure I would want to walk in dark but if you are experienced on Camino have you any views?
All the best
Anne

Hi Anniew, I emailed a request to Express Bouricot, thanks for that. I too am very excited - I just can't wait till we land!!
I was thinking about a head torch myself - but decided against it as I travel as light as possible. But I know they are handy for reading at night, gathering clothes together in the morning and, as you say, for walking first thing, so.... ?
All going well, we'll see you on Tuesday.
Thanks Kanga, I'll check that out.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It's almost time Anne!

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.