• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Newbie!!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome Jillian. I think the Philipines is the only other country with a designated Santiago de Compostela shrine where you can obtain indulgences if you walk (at least 1 km).

SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA - CEBU’S NEW PILGRIM SITE
July 31st, 2007 — Rev. Fr. Jessie Somosierra, Jr.

CEBU, Philippines—Cebu Archbishop Ricardo Cardinal Vidal yesterday declared St. James the Apostle parish church in Compostela town as Cebu’s own ‘Santiago de Compostela,’ the newest archdiocesan shrine for pilgrims to visit. In a decree of conferment he issued on July 24, Vidal named the shrine “Santiago de Compostela,” in reference to the famous pilgrimage Cathedral in Galicia, Spain.

“They don’t have to go outside the Philippines or outside Cebu anymore because there is already a shrine here,” Vidal said.
“They (the faithful) can avail of the services (of the shrine) by going on pilgrimages. While going on pilgrimages they have the opportunity to hear Mass and receive the sacraments and prayers in honor of the saint,”
Vidal said people who will visit the new shrine on specific days will be granted a “plenary indulgence,” which means, their sins will be forgiven after receiving the sacrament of penance and offering a prayers. Pilgrims will attain this if they visit the shrine any day within July 25, 2007 and July 25, 2008. Or any day of the year when July 25 falls on a Sunday.
He also said that the pilgrim can also partake of “spiritual benefits” if he visits the shrine any day as long as he walks in a procession at least a kilometer stretch to the shrine. If the pilgrim is sick, he may visit the shrine on a vehicle.
Vidal said that aside from the spiritual benefits, people can also take advantage of economic opportunities, like selling candles.
“There is no limit to the number of shrines (in a diocese) but not every (parish) can be a shrine,” said Vidal.
He explained that only those parishes which meet the “special requirements” can be declared an Archdiocesan shrine. One of these requirements, is the age of the Church, which should date back to “antiquity.” Another requirement is if people usually go there to pray and if the priest is willing to look after the “spiritual” well-being of pilgrims expected to visit the shrine.
“If they have these requirements then they can apply at the Commission on Worship, which will study the application. If they qualify, everything will be documented and they give it to me,” he said.
“Afterwards, I ask my Council of Consultors for approval,” he added.
Vidal had earlier declared other Cebu parishes as archdiocesan shrines including one in Bogo town, Punta Princesa in Cebu City, Maguikay in Mandaue City and Tuburan town.
Cebu has three national shrines; namely, the Basilica del Sto. Niño, the Archdiocesan Shrine of St. Joseph in Mandaue City and the Archdiocesan Shrine of the Virgin of the Rule in Lapu-Lapu City

Aw shucks! And I had to take the plane and start from SJPP last year to get to Santiago. A pretty expensive pilgrimage, when all it takes is a short hop down to Cebu after all.

How about it, peskywabbit (who has been through 2 caminos)? A short weekend reunion pilgrimage without the blisters?

Now, a challenge to all you Europeans and North Americans, start swimming to Cebu! Australians, beware of the Great Whites on the 'way'.

;-)

Mark

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
marktqm said:
Aw shucks! And I had to take the plane and start from SJPP last year to get to Santiago. A pretty expensive pilgrimage, when all it takes is a short hop down to Cebu after all.

How about it, peskywabbit (who has been through 2 caminos)? A short weekend reunion pilgrimage without the blisters?

Now, a challenge to all you Europeans and North Americans, start swimming to Cebu! Australians, beware of the Great Whites on the 'way'.

;-)

Mark
Am game for a little reunion in Cebu. Will ask the rest of the motley crew, too.

But why just ONE kilometer?? Not fair... Cebu is way larger than that! And claiming it's too hot to walk shouldn't be considered a valid excuse....
:wink:

No blisters, true.... but lots of sunburn... hee hee.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.