• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Newly minted EU citizen

lunna

Time of past OR future Camino
frances; lisboa-muxia; norte+bayonne; vdlp; le puy; voie d'arles+aragones; geneva to ales
Hi all - I don't know where else to post this, but this looks like as good as any forum to do so -

So, now that I have my EU passport, I'm curious to know whether there are any 'perks' (other than not worrying about the ninety day limit for staying in the EU and avoiding the non-EU line(s) at the airports, that I should be aware of while going on another long walk in Europe. Happy to hear your thoughts, suggestions, tips, discounts, etc.

Thanks -

PS - I am a dual US-EU (Polish) citizen.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all - I don't know where else to post this, but this looks like as good as any forum to do so -

So, now that I have my EU passport, I'm curious to know whether there are any 'perks' (other than not worrying about the ninety day limit for staying in the EU and avoiding the non-EU line(s) at the airports, that I should be aware of while going on another long walk in Europe. Happy to hear your thoughts, suggestions, tips, discounts, etc.

Thanks -

We love Poland! Great place to visit. Met a guy I. May while visiting Krakow who walked from his Krakow home to Santiago!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Thanks -

Congratulations, and welcome to the club.
I am once more an EU citizen, a year older in time than you.
The benefits are the knowledge that you are actually on home ground, that you belong in a different way. The responsibility that comes with that is part of the perks you may be asking about. Respect for and awareness of the struggles of others who are not of the same status, and have to literally mind their step, and not overstep the rules.
I am thinking out loud, prompted by what it actually means to me. It helps me to breathe properly while passing customs checks. 😇
Are we not very lucky people?
I think I have always been aware that my original passport and now my new EU passport afford me what you may be calling perks that are hard won by those with other citizenships.
Discounts are peripheral, in this context, for me.
I will not elaborate as it could veer into dangerous and prohibited territory in this forum.
Enjoy the freedom your new status affords you. And, buen camino!

In terms of discounts I don’t think there are too
many available and of those that are, many are age related. In Italy a huge number of museums are free to enter on the first Sunday of every months but that is to all folks, not just certain nationalities. I have come across pricing structures that favours EU cotizens, but not many, and nothing like you might see in China for example.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You may find that visting some countries outside of Europe and North America can be easier or cheaper with one passport than the other. The permitted length of stay might be longer also.
Indeed. I have a UK and an Irish passport. I always check if one is ‘better’ then another and in nearly all cases (outside of EU countries) there is no difference. Of course the one time I didn’t check and travelled to Vietnam using my Irish passport, and found out I needed a visa, whereas if I had used my UK one, I wouldn’t have needed a visa. To compound it you need to state your entry and exit points to the Vietnam Embassy and I had to change a few times so I ended up with multiple visa applications!

Thanks -

Hi Lunna! Congrats on your dual citizenship. I personally could have gotten dual but I was told that as a dual citizen I would need to file taxes in both countries. Not sure if you are aware of that.
Other than that, I see no time constraints for you on doing the Caminos!

Hi Lunna! Congrats on your dual citizenship. I personally could have gotten dual but I was told that as a dual citizen I would need to file taxes in both countries. Not sure if you are aware of that.
Other than that, I see no time constraints for you on doing the Caminos!
Hi Mirta thanks! I think, at least with respect to US-Polish dual citizenship, unless I were to reside in Poland, I wouldn't have to pay any taxes there (I don't know if that would be the case if i owned any property there, but I don't, so that's a moot point). That said, you would have to pay taxes in whatever country you do reside within the EU, as I understand it. But the good news is that, while the US is one of the few countries that require everyone to file a tax return, irrespective of where you reside (that goes for non-dual citizens as well), there are various tax treaties, foreign earned tax credits, etc. that are designed to avoid, in general, double taxation.

So, I think that unless you are earning a very substantial amount of money, the tax burden of being a dual citizen with an EU country may not be so great, depending on your particular situation, and the advantages of being a EU citizen (among other things, right to residency throughout the EU, the right to work, education, etc.) might make it worthwhile to consider if you're eligible.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Mirta thanks! I think, at least with respect to US-Polish dual citizenship, unless I were to reside in Poland, I wouldn't have to pay any taxes there (I don't know if that would be the case if i owned any property there, but I don't, so that's a moot point). That said, you would have to pay taxes in whatever country you do reside within the EU, as I understand it. But the good news is that, while the US is one of the few countries that require everyone to file a tax return, irrespective of where you reside (that goes for non-dual citizens as well), there are various tax treaties, foreign earned tax credits, etc. that are designed to avoid, in general, double taxation.

So, I think that unless you are earning a very substantial amount of money, the tax burden of being a dual citizen with an EU country may not be so great, depending on your particular situation, and the advantages of being a EU citizen (among other things, right to residency throughout the EU, the right to work, education, etc.) might make it worthwhile to consider if you're eligible.
Correct. We have dual US/Italian citizenship and have never paid taxes in Italy. We’ve lived in Spain and Portugal and file taxes there but each has a tax agreement with the US to avoid double taxation.

Thanks for the info!

I have family in Poland. Great country! Moving ahead so fast, incredible.
As for special perks of EU passport apart from no worries about length of stay, I don't know although I also have an EU passport. Freedom of movement mainly. Can easier get a job in any EU country if that's relevant to you. And settle there to live without any obstacles, even without a job, just proof of income.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Congratulations, and welcome to the club.
I am once more an EU citizen, a year older in time than you.
The benefits are the knowledge that you are actually on home ground, that you belong in a different way. The responsibility that comes with that is part of the perks you may be asking about. Respect for and awareness of the struggles of others who are not of the same status, and have to literally mind their step, and not overstep the rules.
I am thinking out loud, prompted by what it actually means to me. It helps me to breathe properly while passing customs checks. 😇
Are we not very lucky people?
I think I have always been aware that my original passport and now my new EU passport afford me what you may be calling perks that are hard won by those with other citizenships.
Discounts are peripheral, in this context, for me.
I will not elaborate as it could veer into dangerous and prohibited territory in this forum.
Enjoy the freedom your new status affords you. And, buen camino!
I think the medical benefits are excellent and a fraction of USA fees etc

Thanks -

How do i get an EU passport?????

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As to "medical benefits": The fact that someone has the nationality and the passport of an EU country does not mean that they have access to "free" public healthcare as a visitor in Spain.

You need to have an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card). You get this card in your EU country of residence and you take it with you when you travel to Spain. In order to get the EHIC card you need to be enrolled and be able to prove your membership of the public health insurance system of the EU country where you live. Every EU country's public health insurance system is organised and financed in a specific way, different from those of the others.

Maybe Poland allows non-residents to enrol in theirs. I doubt it though.

General rule: "Medical benefits" are not linked to nationality, they are linked to residency and whether or not you qualify in the country where you live. If you are covered in your EU country of residence by public health care, you are also covered in Spain for necessary medical treatment during your visit in Spain. In many if not most EU countries, membership and rights to benefits is not automatic.

Last edited:
Indeed. I have a UK and an Irish passport. I always check if one is ‘better’ then another and in nearly all cases (outside of EU countries) there is no difference. Of course the one time I didn’t check and travelled to Vietnam using my Irish passport, and found out I needed a visa, whereas if I had used my UK one, I wouldn’t have needed a visa. To compound it you need to state your entry and exit points to the Vietnam Embassy and I had to change a few times so I ended up with multiple visa applications!
I have an Irish passport but as I live in the North of Ireland I am entitled to a British subjects passport but never took up the option . I have had my Irish passport since 1970 but when it changed to an EU one I was initially reluctant to renew. I am a bit old fashioned. However, my Irish/EU passport does not as far as I know give me any perks. It just makes me feel European and part of something larger. I love being able to travel unhindered around Europe and that is the only perk if you can call it that. Believe it or not, initially I was what you might call a euro sceptic and definitely against the one currency. Now I am all for it. Travel anywhere in Europe and no need to change currency except for a few exceptions. Pity there are so many languages though😂

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well it’s an impossible thing to discuss I guess without invoking the ‘no politics’ rule!!!!

If you have eligibility for a UK passport it may be worth getting one. Different countries passports offer different visa rules and different reciprocal medical benefits.

For example the UK has reciprocal health agreements with quite a few of the European countries that are not covered by EHIC/GHIC.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I of course know that, but it is a short hand that most folks generally understand to mean a passport from one of the EU member countries.

I have an Irish passport but as I live in the North of Ireland I am entitled to a British subjects passport but never took up the option . I have had my Irish passport since 1970 but when it changed to an EU one I was initially reluctant to renew. I am a bit old fashioned. However, my Irish/EU passport does not as far as I know give me any perks. It just makes me feel European and part of something larger. I love being able to travel unhindered around Europe and that is the only perk if you can call it that. Believe it or not, initially I was what you might call a euro sceptic and definitely against the one currency. Now I am all for it. Travel anywhere in Europe and no need to change currency except for a few exceptions. Pity there are so many languages though😂
Though it’s nice to have a couple of languages, but not too many :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back