• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

News

Cathy Daff

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino des santiago April 2015
I am australian and love listening to the news on my mobile while walking. Not sure if this is possible? Any ideas?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you are thinking of an internet based service like the ABC provides, you would need to be able to stream the service, ie have a data service enabled on your SIM. If you don't arrange for a local SIM with reasonable rates, this is likely to be an expensive proposition.

The alternative is that you are currently using your phone to receive local free to air FM radio. You can still do that, but will only receive local stations wherever you are. There may not be either any English language service or a dedicated news service.

A local Spanish SIM card and a little app called TuneinRadio. But I'd hate it - part of the pleasure of the Camino is to tune out, not tune in!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Free WiFi in just about every cafe, hostel and also in a great many public places. No reason from what I could see to use a phone just get a cheap tablet (uk price less then 60 pounds) Skype and hey presto free video calls world wide.

I am australian and love listening to the news on my mobile while walking. Not sure if this is possible? Any ideas?

One of the joys of the Camino, for many, is to listen of the sounds of the moment and place you are and not being distracted by things that happen far away and that you can't influence anyway. Just food for thought, Buen Camino! SY

Free WiFi in just about every cafe, hostel and also in a great many public places. No reason from what I could see to use a phone just get a cheap tablet (uk price less then 60 pounds) Skype and hey presto free video calls world wide.
@Patch, have you tried this? I understand that it is an option but I always found free WIFI pretty slow, and I wonder whether Skype would work at all.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Skype in Spain - not tried but have used it in numerous places in NZ and Auz which are pretty slow compared with Europe. in addition my brother did use the apple equivalent of skype with no problem on the Camino Frances.
Also If speed is a problem then you can always turn of the video and just use voice.

Skype in Spain - not tried but have used it in numerous places in NZ and Auz which are pretty slow compared with Europe. in addition my brother did use the apple equivalent of skype with no problem on the Camino Frances.
Also If speed is a problem then you can always turn of the video and just use voice.
I didn't try Skype either, but those who I saw using it had troubles getting a reliable connection even for voice only in some places. When it works, it's great, but still seems to me to be a supplement to more reliable communications methods, rather than being sufficiently reliable to be relied upon as one's only method of calling home.

I didn't try Skype either, but those who I saw using it had troubles getting a reliable connection even for voice only in some places. When it works, it's great, but still seems to me to be a supplement to more reliable communications methods, rather than being sufficiently reliable to be relied upon as one's only method of calling home.

Hi Doug, In 2013 I walked the Levante from Valencia and was able to skype home on my iphone almost every night with free wifi -- lots of little towns, small bars, but I never had a problem. The only place I had trouble was in San Martin Pinario in Santiago, and I assume that had something to do with the fact that everyone in the room was using some sort of wifi device.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I found that free wifi along the route was more than ample for catching up. I used it for access to things like caminopedia and keeping in touch with home so nothing with a heavy drain but my phone/camera was set to download any images whenever I was at a wifi spot... I downloaded almost 3000 photos along the way without any problems. Friends I was walking with were able to facetime and skype also on free wifi.

hope this helps

I guess its horses for courses. I don't see any need to be constantly in touch with home - hate the thought of being constantly available 24 hours a day which is one of the reasons I go walking. For me a UK based pay as you go phone - which people can text me on in case of emergency - and Skype is more then adequate. But that's just me.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...