Norte questions questions...

notion900

Veteran Member
Aug 28, 2007
London
Time of past OR future Camino
>
Hi there

I did the Camino Frances in 2007, had a fantastic time. I have the idea to do the Norte this year and I am able to start between 1 and 7 August. I need to be back in the UK by about 8 September. I was planning to start maybe in Santander. If anyone can help me with these few questions I'd be very grateful:

1. Is it ridiculously hot on the Norte at that time? Ie are people getting up to walk at silly times like 4am?
2. How busy is it? Am I likely to be ever stuck without a refuge bed (assuming I do not book ahead)? I was never stuck on the Frances, it was busy but not ridiculously so, but I started that on about 11 September and reached Santiago on 18 October. However, I saw pictures from August showing huge numbers of people. So although I know the Norte is quieter I can't judge the pressure on the refuges. If this is severe, I could take my thermarest so I could sleep on floors, but am loth to take it just in case.
3. Distances between refuges - are there any sections where you must walk over 25km in a day?
3. How easy is it to go to the beach and have a swim?

Many thanks for your help xx

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

jprogers

Nov 7, 2007
Adelaide Australia
Frances 2005
Ptgse 2007 Norte 2009 Ingles 2011
Vasco del 2013 Ourense to SdC 2016
Invierno? 2020
Hi there
We did the Norte last year in June - started in Irun, took 38 days which includes 3 days rest. CSJ is a good guide - and don't forget to check updates on the CSJ website. The guide is also good for alternate cheap accomodation. Alburges/refugios were NEVER full. There are many yellow arrows, although the road works can disrupt in places.
The other folk on the track at that time were very respectful of times in the morning. No one got up too early at all -it was suprising. The other page within this site called Camino del Norte will have references to the alburges and other references too. There are MANY places to swim - the water may not be warm!!.
We kept along the coast until Galicia , where the trail then goes inland, and the accomodation was fine all the way along.
Its a great walk because its not too busy and yet enough pilgrims to make it meet with. It is spectacular scenery and lots of small coastal towns. We had hardly any rain, and no wind - although others have documented wind (being coastal)
Cheers Jill

notion900

Veteran Member
Aug 28, 2007
London
>
Thanks so much Jill
It sounds just amazing. But I am concerned about the difference between July / August and other months. I know from looking at people's pictures that August on the C Frances is so busy that people put their backpacks in queues outside refuges and also that people get up at ridiculous hours to beat the heat and also so they can try to get a bed. This is not at all the case in September and June sounds similar.
Does anyone have any comments about August in particular????
Many thanks
Sarah

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

jl

Veteran Member
May 30, 2007
Adelaide, Australia
Frances('05, '07), Aragonese ('05), del Norte / Primitivo ('09), Via Tolosana (Toulouse '05), Via Podiensis (Le Puy '07), Via Lemovicensis (Troyes '09), VF ('12), Winter Camino ('13/'14) Cammino d'Assisi ('14) Jakobseweg (Leipzig - Paris '15) San Salvador/Norte ('15) Ignaciano ('16) Invierno ('16)
Hi there, I it in late August last year and had no problems with either heat or refuges. The numbers start increasing from Santander (I guess because it is easier to get too) but never once did I have probelms getting a bed. There were a couple of times when the only bed was a top bunk and so I chose to go to a hotel (I don't do top bunks!) and a couple of times when I slept on the floor rather than in the top bunk, but that was my choice - not becuase I had to. I took the Primitivo path, partly because I thought it might be a little quieter, and again had few problems. Indeed there were a couple of places (not so flash ones) that there was choice of about a dozen beds to choose from! I never rushed to a place so that I could get a bed, and arrived a couple of times about 6.30 - 7/00 and still got a bed. I was surprised at how many Spanish people, of all ages, were travelling the Primitivo - it seemed that they claimed that one as their own (which it is!), whereas on the Norte there was a real mixture of nationalities traveling.

Cheers, Janet

jl

Veteran Member
May 30, 2007
Adelaide, Australia
Frances('05, '07), Aragonese ('05), del Norte / Primitivo ('09), Via Tolosana (Toulouse '05), Via Podiensis (Le Puy '07), Via Lemovicensis (Troyes '09), VF ('12), Winter Camino ('13/'14) Cammino d'Assisi ('14) Jakobseweg (Leipzig - Paris '15) San Salvador/Norte ('15) Ignaciano ('16) Invierno ('16)
I had planned for either route. Coming from the other side of the world and only being allowed 90 days in the Schengen States I had to know pretty much how long things were going to take. I planned an itinerary (which I was then free to change) and I planned to decide when I got there which route to take. I chose the Primitivo because it seemed to me that it would be a little quieter, and by then I was getting a hankering for the mountains rather than more seascapes as well. I was pretty fit (I had started from Troyes in france) and so I thought it was easy enough to do in my state of fitness. The Primitivo, like what I did on the Norte, is very beautiful.

Cheers, Janet

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

giorgio

Feb 25, 2009
Italy
CF(2000), Puy (03), VDLP(04), Arles(05), Paris/London(06), Norte(07),Vezelay(09), Levante(10),Madrid(13),CF(15),CF(16)
Spanish people are keen on Primitivo as for them is a'mountain walk' compared to other Caminos, in fact for this reason Tineo is a popular starting place...
Buen Camino
Giorgio

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everybody, I have read all the threads on this topic and seen multiple replies. Some are positive others seem to be vague. Ok travel if this route what cities offer the best cultural...
We are here in Irun, staying at Hotel Alcazar. Where do we start the Camino?
Hi, I am embarking on my first camino tomorrow and have been searching for some albergues to stay in. I will be doing the Camino del Norte and will be starting in Gijon. I am looking in Muros de...
Dear pilgrim companions. We are currently cycling the CDN, battery free, and will soon arrive in Gijon. We have arranged to spend the arrival night here then catch train/bus to Oviedo for 2 nights...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.