• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodations on Camino Norte ( and other questions!)

Happyinharrogate

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2021 and Camino del Norte 2023
I am planning to walk the Camino Norte in September and interested in feedback on this walk.
Are there plentiful accommodations options all along the route and do I need to pre book?
Do people believe this is a tougher walk than the Camino Francais?
What do people think the highlight stages of this walk are?
Any help tips welcome

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am planning to walk the Camino Norte in September and interested in feedback on this walk.
Are there plentiful accommodations options all along the route and do I need to pre book?
Any help tips welcome
Happy planning! I'm in the same mode as you are... Norte, September... finding an app that helps me avoid the asphalt I hear it has. The little I know is that it's harder than the Frances as the first 10 days or so are repeats of the first day in the Frances if you start in SJPD.... That's what I remember from other threads.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We did it last year and we both thought it harder than the CF. LOTS of ups and down. Accommodation was expensive as there was a lot of tourist and surfer competition. Also, the stages can be a bit of a yoyo as its not always possible to walk your "preferred" stage distance.

We prebooked because we did not want shared accommodation. At times, even this was hard to achieve (but obviously not impossible). Also, because of demand, we found prices higher at weekends due to the influx of weekend visitors to the coastal venues.

From Irun to Bilbao is quite challenging. If you are still smiling at Bilbao, then you will cope with the rest

Having said all that, its still a great route. We don't want it too easy, do we !!

My wife and I walked the Norte in April and May, starting from Irun. We did not prebook for the first week and had no problem finding accommodation. We started booking when we saw several people who were not able to get into the municipal albergue in Castro Urdiales despite having waited longer than a few who did get to stay there. We typically booked a day ahead of time, although we booked farther out as we got closer to Santiago. The exceptions were when our intended destinations were facilities that did not take bookings, such as the municipal albergue in Baamonde. Mostly, booking in advance gave us peace of mind that we would have a bed without hurrying.

We are currently walking the Norte, in Otur ATM. We have walked CF and also Portugues and would say this is by far harder but also most beautiful. The hard part especially was the Basque country but also my favourite.

Whilst we may only see a couple to half a dozen walkers total during the day - which was definitely not the case for the CF, we have had to prebook accommodation due to limited facilities and also to ensure we can walk the stages we plan to - plus you have the local tourism also staying at Private albergues.

The challenging parts for us has been reduced services (coffee stops!) compared to CF, but comparable to CP. Also a lot more road walking than CF however less than CP. Also at times markings can be lacking, however we have used maps.me with the track downloaded and this has been very helpful.

If I could recommend a Camino route to anyone to do, it would be the Norte for sure.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have walked the del Norte twice starting in early September. I have walked the Camino Frances once, but starting in Pamplona. The del Norte is tougher and rainier but beautiful. The Basque people are very friendly. Albergues are fewer and farther but I didn't prebook. But that was pre Covid. One highlight for me was not Camino related. The Museo Altamira is 2 km from Santillana del Mar and well worth half a day's diversion. Buen Camino

Any help tips welcome
Fantastic Camino. Beats Frances any day

When I walked the Norte last year all the municipal albergues after Irun were closed until Galicia due to COVID. Despite this I was always able to find somewhere to stay, although I did have to book ahead some nights. One weekend was a problem because I arrived at my planned stop too early and decided to walk the extra 6kms to the next town. One hostel was closed and the other one full and ended up walking 52kms that day. I found a village, booked something that was available 2kms further and had a fantastic room in a hotel for €20. It even had an all you can eat buffet for €5 the next morning. It was slightly off route but we'll worth the detour.
As things to look out for on the way, I tried to hug the coast as much as possible and that sometimes meant following a GR route instead of the Camino. I can't remember the name of the village but maybe someone else here can but somewhere near the middle of the route there's a small, 10 bed albergue that's right by the sea, with a beautiful view. It was closed last year ☹️.
It's a great route and I'm sure you'll be glad you did it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We are currently walking the Norte, in Otur ATM. We have walked CF and also Portugues and would say this is by far harder but also most beautiful. The hard part especially was the Basque country but also my favourite.

Whilst we may only see a couple to half a dozen walkers total during the day - which was definitely not the case for the CF, we have had to prebook accommodation due to limited facilities and also to ensure we can walk the stages we plan to - plus you have the local tourism also staying at Private albergues.

The challenging parts for us has been reduced services (coffee stops!) compared to CF, but comparable to CP. Also a lot more road walking than CF however less than CP. Also at times markings can be lacking, however we have used maps.me with the track downloaded and this has been very helpful.

If I could recommend a Camino route to anyone to do, it would be the Norte for sure.
Hi hope your walk is going well. Are you using luggage transfer? If so is this working ok for you each day? Are you using Correleos?

Hi hope your walk is going well. Are you using luggage transfer? If so is this working ok for you each day? Are you using Correleos?
Hi, no we are not using a luggage service, we are carrying our own backpacks. I have not seen many people getting baggage transfer along the norte however I am sure you are able to.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back