• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Norte starting May 8th, 2022 - what is the process if you contract Covid during Camino?

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pj28

Peter J
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2019 Camino Frances
May 2022 Camino del Norte
Hey All- have a group of 5 or 6 of us starting in Irun on May 8th, all guys aged 52-73! I know this is still a little way off, but can any of you assist with info on what the procedure is currently if one of us contracts Covid during our little stroll. Is there a quarantine requirement in Spain? Is isolating in a Hotel ok? Any other advice/comments welcomed.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm starting the CF from SJPP on the same day!

I asked a similar question in another forum and got all sorts of responses but no real answers. After some thought, if this were to happen to me, that is if I were to develop mild symptoms with or without a test, I will probably not go through the hassle of reporting it to the health authorities (as some suggested). Instead, simply get a hotel room to self isolate until symptoms subside and take extra precautions going out to get daily supplies and food. I don't see the need to involve the local health authorities or even tell the hotel management, just take appropriate precautions.

if this were to occur near to my flight back home, I would definitely get a self test and if negative proceed with the official test. If positive, grit my teeth and extend my flight reservations until I test negative and then get the official test and rebook.

I am very much interested in what others have to say about this and whether there is some existing "official" procedures, so thank you for posting!

I will probably not go through the hassle of reporting it to the health authorities (as some suggested).
When you fill out the SpTH health form to obtain the QR code that will allow you to board a plane to Spain you agree that you will inform the regional Spanish health authority in case of illness. I can look up the exact wording if you want it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm starting the CF from SJPP on the same day!

I asked a similar question in another forum and got all sorts of responses but no real answers. After some thought, if this were to happen to me, that is if I were to develop mild symptoms with or without a test, I will probably not go through the hassle of reporting it to the health authorities (as some suggested). Instead, simply get a hotel room to self isolate until symptoms subside and take extra precautions going out to get daily supplies and food. I don't see the need to involve the local health authorities or even tell the hotel management, just take appropriate precautions.

if this were to occur near to my flight back home, I would definitely get a self test and if negative proceed with the official test. If positive, grit my teeth and extend my flight reservations until I test negative and then get the official test and rebook.

I am very much interested in what others have to say about this and whether there is some existing "official" procedures, so thank you for posting!
I would not even attempt to try that unless you want to have a longer stay in Spain, they do not take flouting their regulations lightly, and why you would use a different processes for flying home is beyond comprehension, to me anyway.

I know this is still a little way off

I asked a similar question in another forum and got all sorts of responses but no real answers.
We had a brief thread on this topic in September. The second post in that thread provides links to two earlier threads. Those threads are all likely obsolete now, but you can read through them if you really want to puzzle through all the possibilities. We simply don't know what the requirements will be in May. The requirements vary from region to region, and according to other variables. That is why there is no simple answer even for the current situation, and there is no answer at all for the future.

If you get Covid, you should enquire of the local authorities (maybe a pharmacy will be able to help) what the requirements are. Then follow them.

You should come prepared with medical insurance and a credit card to cover any additional expenses that might be incurred if you are ill and/or quarantined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.