Search 59,165 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
A thought-provoking Camino memoir. This day-by-day account will inspire you.
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

Norte to the Primitivo

John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

MermaidLilli

As you walk along the Norte you will see the sign of the bifurcation. Straight ahead for the Norte, left turn towards Oviedo. Enjoy
Lillian

jl

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Frances('05, '07), Aragonese ('05), del Norte / Primitivo ('09), Via Tolosana (Toulouse '05), Via Podiensis (Le Puy '07), Via Lemovicensis (Troyes '09), VF ('12), Winter Camino ('13/'14) Cammino d'Assisi ('14) Jakobseweg (Leipzig - Paris '15) San Salvador/Norte ('15) Ignaciano ('16) Invierno ('16)
and you can take a route that basically goes straight up and be rewarded by magnificent views, or wind your way along the valley and stop at the monastery on the way past. I took the high road and loved it (looks down on the monastery), but I think the low road would be very good too. Cheers, Janet

peregrina2000

Staff member
The bifurcation comes after Villaviciosa, and I just wanted to put in a plug for taking the little detour down to the monastery of Valdedios, with its 9th century church next door. The setting is spectacular, and if you're attracted to pre-romanesque architecture, this is a "not to be missed" little detour. We left villaviciosa in the morning, visited the church, and were in Pola de Siero that night. The next day was a very easy (16 km?) walk into Oviedo. Oviedo is a beautiful town, and easily worth a rest day, more if you want to go visit the incredible pre-romanesque sites a few km out of town.

Buen camino, Laurie

I have two posts from when I walked that might be of help to you (one year I walked the Norte, another the Salvador and the Primitivo).

el-camino-del-norte/topic2829.html

camino-primitivo/topic4841.html

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 102 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances