• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Northern Cross pilgrimage to Lindisfarne, England

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
I just came across this article with some atmospheric photos of pilgrims crossing the tidal sands to Holy Island in the north of England today. The end of a week-long walking pilgrimage for some. Many years ago I walked for a couple of consecutive years with the related Student Cross pilgrimage to Walsingham which has also been running this week under its new name Pilgrim Cross.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Last September I walked St Cuthbert's Way from the Scottish Borders to Holy Island including crossing the tidal sands. A truly wonderful way to end a pilgrimage. (But, of course, has to be timed very, very carefully!)

Wow. Very interesting

Long time ago I did the tour from Sunderland by Newcastle upon Tyne to Lindisfarne including the tidal sands
It takes some research and organisation to cope with the 6 hours tide .

Attachments

• C86E9A2C-9C71-4FC5-B272-C055ABB1F61F.png
    C86E9A2C-9C71-4FC5-B272-C055ABB1F61F.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • F1CA8275-EFCC-4AE8-A901-B07CBE73FF8E.png
    F1CA8275-EFCC-4AE8-A901-B07CBE73FF8E.png
    2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
ok that’s it! We’re doing it 🤣 you know when you started with a little idea at the back of your mind, and then it keeps popping up left right and centre. I bet now my google adverts will start advertising guided St Cuthbert’s Way walk everyday!

Also recently hooked on LJ Ross’s novel, her DCI Ryan series covered detective-murder based surrounding pilgrimage sites in the North East (Lindisfarne, St Cuthbert’s and St Oswald’s ways)…

Let’s hope weather during May bank holiday is as glorious as this year’s Holy Week has been! 🐶🐾🐾

Also recently hooked on LJ Ross’s novel, her DCI Ryan series covered detective-murder based surrounding pilgrimage sites in the North East (Lindisfarne, St Cuthbert’s and St Oswald’s ways)…

:) Just last week I listened to an audiobook in the Ann Cleeves "Vera" series partly set on Holy Island. Sounds a very dangerous place to visit... :cool:

If you visit Holy Island try to stay overnight. Very special place. Especially when the tide is in and the Island is 'closed'.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you visit Holy Island try to stay overnight. Very special place. Especially when the tide is in and the Island is 'closed'.
So... walk across when tide is low, stay overnight on the Island, pray that there's no crazy cult murder (read too many DCI Ryan series), then return in the morning?

I didn't encounter any crazy cult murders....although....there was a dead seal on the beach....hmmm...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/
Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl
Can't get into the official Via Francigena site. I've used it for years, but today all I get when I try to enter it is 'File not found". For example, if I enter...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.