• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Now that it's late July--how have the crowds been?

Bmatth3790

Hello--I'm leaving from Porto on 10 or 11 Sept and have been wondering about if sizeable crowds materialized so far this summer. I would expect a big reduction in Sept from whatever the summer numbers have been. My interest is prompted by concern about finding accommodations. I'm a year or two "over the hill" and don't like to walk more than 32 or so km a day.

Anyone out there leaving Porto the morning of 10 or 11 Sept? I'd enjoy some company in the evening for dinner and great Portuguese wine!

Cheers...Bill

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Bill
I will be leaving Lisbon on 1st Sept and going by the book due to arrive in Porto on 13th but who knows what happens. May bump into you..not literally.
I hope there will be some pilgrims on the way to enjoy evening meals with and look forward to my first Portuguese wine.
Cheers
Heather

Hello,

Just back from our Camino...

We left on the 10th of July, so I guess that can count as the ,,high season".

We met small groups of pilgrims on the way from Porto, but never too many up till the point of Redondela-Tui... here lots of people joined the route and we had the misfortune that we missed out on a place in the albergue as we were walking from Tui and those who just started at Porrinho obviously got there earlier. From this point the Camino became a race, which we really didn't enjoy, a race for beds...:(

I think the manegement of these albergues could somehow save up some beds for those who are walking from way further, not just those who walked 10-15 km a day...

So...we ended up sleeping in a gym, on the floor after 33 km walk. Wouldn't have been the worst if there wasn't the biggest rave party next door shattering even the gym's windows..

Get ready for lots of sleepless nights!

K

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Heather and K--thanks for the replies. Heather--Maybe I'll meet you somewhere along the way. Hope so. Yes, I would enjoy some good company while also enjoying my first Portuguese wine. I should be easy to recognize I think--I'll likely be the oldest person on the way. K--So it sounds like its after crossing into Spain that the crowds really appeared. Maybe they will be a bit settled down by the 3rd week in Sept. Were the crowds mostly made up of working age people who presumably would be back at work in Sept, after their summer holiday?

Bill

I think you are right as the majority of this crowd were students on summer holidays...

But I do hope you'll meet some interesting, nice people and sure you will. Portuguese wine is lovely, refreshing, especially after a long day's walk. They will recommend Vinho Verde, which cannot be found anywhere else in the world just in between Porto and Santiago. But my favorite is Portuguese rose...hmmm

Also, as a delicacy, try Pimiento's of Padron, they are little, tasty, roasted green peppers and pulpo if you like seafood. Otherwise food is a bit bland and rather oily but if you pick carefully you can find quality restaurants, just as we did in Pontevedra, where we ended up looking for ages but came across a family run restaurant and the cook was like my grandma! She took great pride in her cooking and you could definately tell that! Most delicious squid, tasty soup, and the flan! It was a real delight! :) Try to ask for more than a bowl of greasy chips...
In Asturias we were lucky enough to taste Caldo Gallego although it's a winter dish but we never had enough of that! Gorgeous!

Aaaand ...if you had enough of wine, then why not try the famous Asturian sidra? :))

Enjoy your walk, I have to say I prefer walking alone...it's much more relaxing. But this time I was happy that my boyfriend was with me as I had a food poisoning and he had to carry my bag as well... poor darling. But we managed! Mind over matter! :)

Most read last week in this forum

Dear all, I have not stayed at this place myself, but I just had a pilgrim in my office telling me about a really bad experience here. Bad enough that I feel I should let people know. Doing a...
We are starting to walk the Camino from Lisboa at the end of May. We believe we have two option if we want to walk the Camino Portugeese from Lisboa and to visit Fatima on our Camino, (1) I...
I am looking to walk the Camino Portuguese next spring. It seems as though many start in Porto instead of Lisbon. I would like to have a longer Camino — so the question is - what is the Lisbon to...
We are starting our 2nd Camino at the end of May starting is Lisboa (Last year we walked the Camino Frances). We believe that this part of the camino starting from Lisboa is less supported than...
Has anyone found a spreadsheet planning tool to plan stages for Camino Portugues. I am not sure yet which route I will take but likely to be a mixture. I used one for the Camino Francais which was...
Hi all, I just finished my first Camino. I was on the Portugues route from Porto to Santiago: Coastal till Vila do Conde after that Central till Santiago. I would love to give back some of the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back