• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Observations from my second Camino

Wanderwoman2

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
Hello all! Just a little follow up to my post a few months back on whether it was too soon to second Camino a year after the first. The answer was a resounding no! I got a cheap flight and found myself with no reason not to go to France and try the Via Podiensis.

As most people probably are aware April was a month of rain and sometimes snow! But when I was watching the weather ahead of time, I reminded myself I don't go on Camino to be comfortable. I go for the challenge, the adventure and the journey. And I'm so glad I did.

My first Camino (Frances) prepared me to be able to stay in the moment, to trust that everything will work out the way it's supposed to and to realize that there are no wrong choices. That training really helped me to settled into my second Camino with a peaceful heart.

On my first Camino, I confronted the things in myself that weren't making me happy, I hit the wall of myself and with this forum's support, I overcame and found a new way of approaching the Camino and then my life. On the Camino, I found community and learned that I loved and needed people. I found that God existed in the space between me and you. I found healing. My heart opened.

When I went home, I was depressed! And I think in a way, so much had come from the journey that I needed to power down and let myself process it. All I did was watch French shows, practice duolingo, and fantasize about running away to Europe.

So I came to Le Puy not knowing what would come up but secretly hoping to find a way to stay in France. While I loved wandering through snowflurries and rainy forests, while I met people who added pieces to the puzzle of my life without knowing it, while I helped hurting pilgrims and was embraced and led by others, while the moment in Conques with an evening classical performance and corsican chants was the most perfect moment I've known, what I am really taking from this experience is a deep and heartfelt gratitude for the life I have today and the person I am today. Which is such a change from a year ago!

Because unbeknownst to me, everything I found on the Camino I started building at home. When I came home, I let the people in my life know how I was doing. I let them into my heart, I was vulnerable, I deepened friendships and participated more and I started to build my community. I began volunteering and found that God-between-us relationship with the women I get to serve.

Home is now a place I love and belong to and I know is where I have everything I need. I am no longer in my own way, pushing myself, hurting myself, hating myself like I did when I arrived in SJPDP that first time.

My second Camino, I cried in nearly every church and everyday, tears of gratitude and cleansing. I know I had to come back to take the next steps on the path I began last year and to see how profoundly my life and heart have been changed from my first Camino. It never gives you what you're looking for, always gives you what you need đź’›

Thank you to all the Pilgrims here who offer guidance and support! I wouldn't have come this far without you all đź«‚

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You said it best here:

"Because unbeknownst to me, everything I found on the Camino I started building at home."

"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

T.S.Eliot

Buen Vida! Buen Camino!

You said it best here:

"Because unbeknownst to me, everything I found on the Camino I started building at home."

"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

T.S.Eliot

Buen Vida! Buen Camino!
That's exactly it!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello all! Just a little follow up to my post a few months back on whether it was too soon to second Camino a year after the first. The answer was a resounding no! I got a cheap flight and found myself with no reason not to go to France and try the Via Podiensis.

As most people probably are aware April was a month of rain and sometimes snow! But when I was watching the weather ahead of time, I reminded myself I don't go on Camino to be comfortable. I go for the challenge, the adventure and the journey. And I'm so glad I did.

My first Camino (Frances) prepared me to be able to stay in the moment, to trust that everything will work out the way it's supposed to and to realize that there are no wrong choices. That training really helped me to settled into my second Camino with a peaceful heart.

On my first Camino, I confronted the things in myself that weren't making me happy, I hit the wall of myself and with this forum's support, I overcame and found a new way of approaching the Camino and then my life. On the Camino, I found community and learned that I loved and needed people. I found that God existed in the space between me and you. I found healing. My heart opened.

When I went home, I was depressed! And I think in a way, so much had come from the journey that I needed to power down and let myself process it. All I did was watch French shows, practice duolingo, and fantasize about running away to Europe.

So I came to Le Puy not knowing what would come up but secretly hoping to find a way to stay in France. While I loved wandering through snowflurries and rainy forests, while I met people who added pieces to the puzzle of my life without knowing it, while I helped hurting pilgrims and was embraced and led by others, while the moment in Conques with an evening classical performance and corsican chants was the most perfect moment I've known, what I am really taking from this experience is a deep and heartfelt gratitude for the life I have today and the person I am today. Which is such a change from a year ago!

Because unbeknownst to me, everything I found on the Camino I started building at home. When I came home, I let the people in my life know how I was doing. I let them into my heart, I was vulnerable, I deepened friendships and participated more and I started to build my community. I began volunteering and found that God-between-us relationship with the women I get to serve.

Home is now a place I love and belong to and I know is where I have everything I need. I am no longer in my own way, pushing myself, hurting myself, hating myself like I did when I arrived in SJPDP that first time.

My second Camino, I cried in nearly every church and everyday, tears of gratitude and cleansing. I know I had to come back to take the next steps on the path I began last year and to see how profoundly my life and heart have been changed from my first Camino. It never gives you what you're looking for, always gives you what you need đź’›

Thank you to all the Pilgrims here who offer guidance and support! I wouldn't have come this far without you all đź«‚
Beautifully written!!!

Your post reminded me of this beautiful poem by Derek Walcott. I hope you will find its message correspond to your sentiments here. Share it ....

Love after Love
The time will come
when, with elation
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror
and each will smile at the other's welcome,
and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you
all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,
the photographs, the desperate notes,
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life.
Derek Walcott

Your post reminded me of this beautiful poem by Derek Walcott. I hope you will find its message correspond to your sentiments here. Share it ....

Love after Love
The time will come
when, with elation
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror
and each will smile at the other's welcome,
and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you
all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,
the photographs, the desperate notes,
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life.
Derek Walcott
Yes, that hits home! Thank you for sharing!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.