• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Camino Olvidado Guide created by one of our forum members

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Olvidado accommodation

Started 01 sep from Bilbo day one to Balmaseda staying for 2 nights(waiting out the heavy rain)
in the beautiful convento San Roque hotel pilgrim rate 61 euro per night. Just wondering if there are other options other than walking 42km tomorrow to Espinosa de los Monteros. Thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for the reply but was hoping to put in a long one tomorrow to make up for the lazy day today. I see the weather forecast is good 👍 for tomorrow so might aim for an early start and see how things go 🚶‍♂️. Good luck with your camino in September.

Just wondering if there are other options other than walking 42km tomorrow to Espinosa de los Monteros. Thanks
Hi, @jerry lordan,

You have probably already seen Ender’s guide (in both English and Spanish), links here, just in case.

If you are in Balmaseda now, you will save a few km (3-5 by my rough estimates) by taking what he describes as Route 2A, bypassing Villasana de Mena. Balmaseda-Nava de Ordunte-Espinosa is about 39, whereas Balmaseda-Villasana,Espinosa comes out at about 44 (all very rough estimates).

You may already know Espinosa’s albergue has a new highly automated reservation system. I don’t think we’ve heard from any forum member who has tried it, so if you successfully navigate the process, let us know.

Buen camino, feel free to keep posting updates, because there’s a bunch of us here who love the Olvidado!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I did Balmaseda - Villasante (2B) staying with Isabel (Casa Luisa). Although she recently decided to stop I read on the Spanish Olvidado Facebook page that someone stayed with her yesterday or the day before. You could always call and see.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, I walked the alternative route from Velilla del rio Carrion to Puente Almuhey. Perhaps the first day's real Olvidado experience, a lovely walk up in the mountains. To stay at Puente Almuhey and have the experience of meeting Sonia was a real gift. I have bad blisters and her concern was very touching as well as advice about taking a day off. I recommend the Albergue in Puente Almuhey to anyone walking the Olvidado just to meet this woman! The next day I decided to walk, well limp, to Cistierna. About half way along the road, a car pulled up and it was Sonia and she insisted on driving me up to the Sanctuary where I continued to walk an incredible moutain path up and then down into Cistierna where I still am today. I have decided to get a train to Boñar to rest my feet as I think it will be tougher on my feet for the next few days.
I have met at least 6 pilgrims from all over and hope to link up again today in Boñar with 2 lovely Australians.
I see what others have said about this route, spectacular up in the mountains/hills, however my worst day and reason I think I have bad feet was the awful 18k road walk out of Arija towards Olea. Also I got lost at the top of the first ascent even with wikiloc map, so in total it took me 11hours to get to Olea. But Casa los Eros there was worth it!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
reason I think I have bad feet was the awful 18k road walk out of Arija towards Olea.
Yes that is a slog for sure. Ender has an alternative that has less asphalt, but it doesn’t take you through the Roman ruins at the top of the hill. Maybe not a bad trade-off, though. I remember walking through overgrowth on the side of the road as much as I could, since there was no dirt shoulder. It slowed me down for sure, but may have prevented problems.

Hoping your feet improve, @laineylainey. Good idea to take a rest day and train. Good to hear there is a smattering of pilgrims. As recently as five years go, I met absolutely no one.

A menú del día in the Hotel Moderno is highly recommended. Are you staying there? And tell the blonde waitress/hotel staff person (she does it all) that the peregrina with the agarrapata (tick) says hi! She took one out of my back years ago.

Yes, the menu del día at the Moderno is the best I have ever tasted. Fabulous for 12€. I had lunch with a Basque peregrino who has stayed there several times. He was concerned how quiet it was at lunchtime. Also he told me last year the owners included in the 25€ room, breakfast next morning but they have discontinued breakfast to keep the room rate at 25€, which is incredible value compared to other places I have stayed.
Really looking forward to meeting in Riello and staying with Laura and Anna at the weekend.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Elaine ended up getting a taxi to la robla it's a tough day 2 good climbs but well worth it bring plenty snacks as no stops as usual, stayed pension mundo bar in la robla near the train station 20 euro lots of pilgrims on the san Salvador so might be worth booking.

I’m heading up to La Robla tomorrow from Leon (I’ve come up the Camino Madrid). From Robla I’m heading west on the Olvidado to finish the bits I missed in 2019 when I went north on the Salvador and then onto the Primitivo. Struggling to find a usable list of accommodation on the part of the Olvidado. Gronze is useless for this route and wise pilgrims app is similarly limited. I have Enders app but that’s not an easy resource for planning stops.

Have you seen Ender’s guide in English? There are a few new accommodations since it was done, but there’s an update on the forum.

If you’re going to be in La Robla tomorrow, I will see if Ender can swing by to say hi — will you be in the albergue, @MikeJS?

There is no better source than hearing about all the accommodations direct from the horse’s mouth so to speak!

Have you seen Ender’s guide in English? There are a few new accommodations since it was done, but there’s an update on the forum.

If you’re going to be in La Robla tomorrow, I will see if Ender can swing by to say hi — will you be in the albergue, @MikeJS?

There is no better source than hearing about all the accommodations direct from the horse’s mouth so to speak!
I’m staying in pension Mundo as I wanted some certainty. Love to meet Enders. I was looking for that guide but was not sure what was the latest so perfect timing.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just finished a long WhatsApp with La Magia and now sorted for 24 September. Thanks to all the good info here and the Camino angels. Can’t find the link to Enders guide though??

Just finished a long WhatsApp with La Magia and now sorted for 24 September. Thanks to all the good info here and the Camino angels. Can’t find the link to Enders guide though??
Check here. But as I noted a few posts up, the Spanish version has some accommodation updates. But if you see Ender tomorrow, he can give you all the real-time updates.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Glad I did not opt for the Albergue option as not only is it and extra 1km or so up the road from the Olvidado that bar is not open to night (closed at 1330) so no food there!

If you can have el menu del día when you get to Riello to meet Laura and Anna of La Mágica de Nuebles, I recommend it. Laura ia a great cook in the restaurant Villamor. I had a super lunch.

I have had to return home from Nava as my back froze with excruciating pain. Returned to Balmaseda and then to Bilbao.

Will need to build back muscles before attempting to walk the three caminos in April and May 2024. Having walked the Aragonese earlier this year from Toulouse, lost so much weight that I didn’t realise that muscles had also disappeared.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ok, so just have to recommend Hotel Rural Orquídea in Velilla del Río Carrión to anyone doing 10B. I’m staying here tonight and the owner (la dueña) Anna Maria is one of the kindest and most welcoming people I have met on any Camino. She offers a pilgrim discount. Decent room, but it‘s all about the hospitality. Menú del día 13€ and pilgrim price is 25€ individual room. Whatsapp is 640 57 69 79.

As an aside, Bar Mylo in Santibañez was better than expecting. With the 30 degree (Celsius) day yesterday I wasn’t going to make it to Guardo, so I am glad to have shortened the etapas.

If anyone was looking at the Casa Rural in Tarolinte, be aware that the town bar closed for the season on Aug. 30 this year, if that has any effect on your plans.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back