• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One in three pilgrims go through Leon

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

ECONOMY AND SPIRITUALITY
One in three pilgrims reaching Santiago de Compostela passes León
More than 17,000 walkers toured the province over the past month

• A pilgrim, passing through the province - BRUNO MORENO
SANDRA Alija | LION29/09/2014

The number of pilgrims who passed along by Leon in August rose to 17,612.Most of them walked the Camino de Santiago French.All are part of the 51,219 that came to Santiago de Compostela during that month, according to the Pilgrim Office.

This route through the city of León is the most popular today.Part of the French town of Roncesvalles. This route has always been and will be the most spoiled and most convenient from the point of view of infrastructure and services, reasons why it is a favorite of pilgrims. The city of León is not only a way point for pilgrims coming from the provinces of Burgos and Palencia and doing the route from Roncesvalles, but from the city of a large number of them that do the complete path, only one part.

In August, the number of registered outputs amounts to 2,610. Although the largest number of pilgrims departed from Sarria in Lugo, followed by the French town of Saint Jean Pied de Port and Tui.

Moreover, Leo is also a leader in terms of overnight stays within the Community with 56.54%, followed by Burgos and Palencia. In order to get the Compostela, for what must travel at least the last hundred kilometers of road on foot or horseback, or if the last two are made by bicycle, on average 1,652 walkers came to Santiago every day and even exceeded 2,000 over several days in August.Most of them aged between 30 and 60 years.

As for the pilgrim profile, 53.62% of those who have walked the Camino de Santiago in August were men. While traditional walking tour is the one chosen by the majority (87.70%) compared to those who chose to do it by bike or on horseback.As professional field, the most numerous were the students, 25.06%. According to data from the Office of the Pilgrim, is constantly growing number of foreign pilgrims walking Castilla y León.Although once again, most come from Spain, 61.09%, of which 1514 belong to Community.

Italians

The Camino de Santiago attracts visitors from all over the world, as the percentage of foreigners stood at 48.91%, of which the majority are Italian, 15.09%. Followed by Portuguese, German and French.Even travelers have been recorded as far away as New Zealand, East Timor and Nepal.

With over a thousand years old and about five hundred miles El Camino de Santiago is one of the most important pilgrimage routes in the world. This trip should be prepared not only from the physical point of view but also from the spiritual. The main reasons for pilgrims undertake this journey for the Spanish geography are religious but there are who do it for reasons other than those as to enjoy art or nature.

http://www.diariodeleon.es/noticias/leon/uno-tres-peregrinos-llega-santiago-pasa-leon_924298.html

I love the "as far away as New Zealand, East Timor and Nepal." Way to make the news, Kiwis.:):)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When it says the Camino Frances is the most 'spoiled', it's meant in the sense of 'spoilt for choice'. :)

Most read last week in this forum

When I go to the pilgrim office website at the moment I am receiving a warning about the website's security certificates. Same on both Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge browsers. And if I disregard...
The Santiago pilgrim office issued 3,171 Compostelas today. The second time so far this year when the total has been over 3,000. The first was on Good Friday when 3,193 Compostelas were handed out.
Hi, I’ve got 3 1/2 days in Santiago at the end of my camino, and I’m thinking to go to Vigo to watch the football on the 15th. It is a 10 pm kick-off, so I am wondering if it is likely to get any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back