• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

one week, opinion on where to start?

jfh

Hello There,
i'm after booking a flight to Santiago on the 18th sept, returning to dublin on 25th sept.
it was a spur of the moment thing, although it was always something i wanted to do. My question is where should i start from?
i'm fit and do a bit of trekking but dont want to make a race of it.
thanks for any advice,
john

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you have 7 days (incl flights) and if you are in good shape, leave from Sarria (100km).

This will allow you reasonable walking days and mostly one day to visit Santiago and to taste some of the good food at reasonable prices.

Another possibility, should you be interested in completing the Camino over several visits-- not as impractical coming from Ireland as it would be for Canadians or Australians-- is to start in Pamplona and continue for a week to Logrono or Navarrete, then pick up the next stretch in another year. This is not uncommon among Spanish and French pilgrims.

I am not saying that the previous post's advice to start from Sarria is a bad one-- this is the most Irish part of Spain-- but I would strongly suggest that you do not try to rush it. Still, with a week you could start from Triacastela and enjoy the walk through Samos, which is not overcrowded and an excellent experience in its own right.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We are assuming you want to go on the Camino Francès.

You could also walk from La Coruna to Santiago or from Porto to Santiago. You have a choice. Enjoy whatever you decide and take your time; you might or might not ever come back to this part of the world.

thanks but one more question

Just saying thank you for taking the time & effort to advice me
you have giving me something to think about, i was thinking of doing the Camino Frances, so just one final question.
ohnnalexander mentioned the Camino Ingles, what is the scenary like?
and Ulysse mentioned starting in La Coruna,
i had heard of these but dont know any one who went these routes,
could you please advise which route you'd recommend?

oursonpolaire only for the fact that i'm flying into Santiago, it doesn't suit travelling back to pamplona, hopefully someother time..

john

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Re: thanks but one more question

The Camino Inglés is the one that was walked by the pilgrims who came by boat from England or north europe.

It's possible to start it in Coruña or in Ferrol. I would prefer in Ferrol, but ir depends on oneself.

It's well marked and has good albergues.

You can find a "practice" guide with telephone numbers, etc. in http://www.amigosdelcamino.com (in spanish)

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back