• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Only 3 months planning

brooklyngirl813

Time of past OR future Camino
August to September (2013)
Im walking from from sjpp to finesterre for 5 weeks from August to September 2013. I was either being spontaneous or the Camino was calling me. Two weeks ago, I decided to walk the camino.. The following weekend, I joined the forum, went to the store and bought my hiking shoes, socks, backpack, sleeping bag & sun hat. Now I'm "training" for the camino. Is 3 months adequate time? Either way, I'm not backing out. It's just nice to know if other people walked the camino with a short amount of time to prepare.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
... Im doing the camino not as a tourist but as a pilgrim. I was in Spain 2 years ago. I saw the pilgrims in Burgos and Pamplona and read for the first time about the Camino de Santiago at a little store in Pamplona.

brooklyngirl813 said:
Is 3 months adequate time?

Absolutely! =) My very first long-distance walk was the Appalachian Trail. I was reading A Walk In the Woods by Bill Bryson and got the idea to hike the trail myself before I even reached page 50. And TWO months later, I was taking my first steps from Georgia to Maine. By comparison, the AT is well over 2,000 miles long and takes closer to 6 months to hike, requires all sorts of camping gear that you won't have to worry about on the Camino, and I gave myself a mere two months to prepare for it and I did just fine. =)

So three months to prepare for a mere 500-mile hike that doesn't even require backpacking... definitely doable! *nodding*

-- Ryan

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Definitely enough time! I first walked the Camino in 2005. At that time, none of my friends or family had heard of it (they're certainly sick of hearing about it now :D ). I had the idea of walking the Camino "one day", had been collecting information but had no plans in place. Then I woke with the feeling that it was important that I set out, that it was time, so off I went a few months later.

Sometimes we don't decide when it's time. The Camino calls and when it does, there is a sense of urgency attached to it. From my experience, even when you don't know why you have to go, the timing turns out to be exactly right.

Buen Camino

I might have to read that book too. :) wow! AT in 2 months . Camino in 3 months is doable then. :D
Sometimes we don't decide when it's time. The Camino calls and when it does, there is a sense of urgency attached to it. From my experience, even when you don't know why you have to go, the timing turns out to be exactly right.
This is exactly what happened to me! I'm still amazed at how I went from thinking I would like to do it someday to actually going for it. Timing Is just perfect.

julie said:

Yes! I know this feeling! Ever since I learned of the Camino, I've had an overwhelming desire to walk it. I leave SJPdP at the end of August and I can't wait to start!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
brooklyngirl813 said:
... Now I'm "training" for the camino. Is 3 months adequate time? Either way, I'm not backing out. It's just nice to know if other people walked the camino with a short amount of time to prepare.

As the others have said, three months is more than enough time to try out and fine tune your gear, get a few blisters and learn to treat them ;-) and get a bit fitter in the process. Just take it easy on the first stages and don't "run" them because you are so excited to be finally on the Camino! Your body will adjust to the effort on the way and after a week or so you will be able to walk longer every day. Buen Camino! SY

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back