• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

only 3 weeks to go!

chlo-antoin

Hi, I'm Chloe setting off from England to start walking from SJPP on 10th September. Have been lurking for months, inspired by everyone's enthusiasm and learning lots from all the experienced pilgrims' posts. Thank you all so much! Now have suddenly realised it's nearly time to go and am having fits of panic. Are friends and family right? Am I mad to do this? Will I fall off the mountain on the first day? Will be 69yrs one week into the Camino hope someone will raise a glass with me,
God Bless and Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Camino is a great place and for those what should go will hear the call. You have heard the call, felt the pull to go and you will have a grand time. You will also find may fellow pilgrims along the way and many of them will be open to being friends. Be open to talking with others when you feel it is right; be open to serving those who you sense need a kind word or a pat on the back. Share with others your birthday; buy a bottle of wine or a treat to celebrate with them.

Buen Camino,

Hello, Chloe! You're not mad to go, but very wise. I lift my glass to you on your 69th birthday. My 66th will follow yours soon thereafter. You will find out that people survive without you and are so proud of you for doing what you're doing.
All the Camino saints and angels will keep an eye on you and make sure that all goes well :)
Buen Camino and Animo!
claire

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Welcome Chloe,
You are not mad, just adventurous. :) We hope to walk again next year, on the Norte, when Terry will be 69 and I will be 64. Age is no barrier to being a peregrino/a.
Buen Camino

Hi, Chloe,
If you're mad, you have a whole lot of company! Hope you have a wonderful birthday on the Camino. A few years ago, I was part of a birthday celebration for a peregrino who turned 85 on the camino. He was walking from St. Jean to Santiago and though I lost track of him after El Acebo, i have no doubt that he made it.

Buen camino to you, and I hope you'll send an occasional message to tell us how it's going for you. Those of us who are camino addicts really enjoy hearing live reports while we are chained to our desks working, longing to be out there.

And Tia, great to hear about your plans -- which segment are you contemplating for next year?

Thank you Michael B Great advice. I will indeed try to be open to responding to my fellow pilgrims and your idea of treating them to wine and maybe chocolates is a lovely way to celebrate it, I will do just that.
Thank you Grilly for such an encouraging reply and for the link to your blog, truly inspirational.
I am a new Catholic, confirmed 4yrs ago. hope all is well for you and Happy Birthday on your day!

Thank you Tia its great to know there are other 60 somethings doing this and so doing it so well.

Thank you Peregrina, wow! 85yr. old what am I worrying for! Certainly will post whenever I find an internet cafe,

The preparation to go has been a journey itself so can't wait to experience The Way, God bless all, Ultreya!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
chlo-antoin said:
Will be 69yrs one week into the Camino hope someone will raise a glass with me
17th September? That's when we arrive in Jaca (Camino Aragonés) and will happily raise a fruity Rioja, wishing you good health and a successful Camino! :D

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.