• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ontario Women planning for April/May 2011

Janwood

Two mid-life women planning on doing the Camino for 2-2.5 weeks in April or May 2011. What is the best route to do for this length of time. We just decided to be spontaneous and go, though it has been a long time dream for both of us; have we left enough time for planning? Leaving from Toronto so need to know closest airport to our starting point.

We have just joined this forum so will be doing tons of research...thanks for any pointers...training heavily now ...thanks and extremely excited. Our son and daughter just got engaged at Christmas and will be marrying this Dec. so we thought this was an excellent venue for the mothers-in-law to share their spiritual journeys.... Jan :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Jan,

You're in good company! Just about every Canadian who's written a book about the Camino (Robert Ward, Sue Kenney, Jane Christmas, Arthur Paul Boers, and probably more) seems to come from Ontario.

I'd say you have more than enough time for planning (I just decided to walk the Via de la Plata this April a week ago).

Which is the best route depends on what you want--you could do two weeks' worth of any route you're interested in--the Camino Frances starting in Astorga, for example. I've never done the Camino Portuges, but it looks like two weeks would give you lots of time to do the whole thing from Porto. I'd imagine it would be lonelier, though.

In any case, Madrid is probably the best airport to fly into. Then you can to take the bus or train from wherever you're starting.

Buen Camino!

Anna-Marie

I've walked the last 109 km of the Via de la Plata (through the Galician varient, meaning from Orense to Santiago) and the first 200 km or so from Sevilla to Merida. I'm in love! Most people on this forum seem to be walking the popular routes (mainly the Camino Frances), but for me -- at least so far -- I love the lesser-traveled VDLP. You don't meet lots of other pilgrims (sometimes none!), but you have plenty of time for yourself, and of course at night you're interacting with the locals.

Once I finish the VDLP, I'll be anxious to try a popular route and see which I prefer (in 300+ kilometers on the VDLP, I've only met 5 other people). But just remember this -- there's no right way, or wrong way. Some say you have to meet others for it to be meaningful, or it ruins things if you have your phone or use the Internet at night. I think any route, and any way you do it, can be meaningful. I fully expect whether I'm alone or with dozens of others, with or without technology, I'll have a great experience.

Good luck with your decision!

Melanie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If I had 2 weeks for my first walk in April or May, I would start at Leon on the Camino Frances.

Leon is 311 kms from Santiago and takes 12 days at a very managable 26 kms per day. Leon itself is a beautiful city with a magnificent cathedral but you won't be interested in touristy things.
You will feel a need to get going. Astorga is the next city just 2 days walk. The next feature is Cruz de Ferro - At 1504 m ASL, the Iron Cross is the highest elevation on the Camino Frances. Pilgrims traditionally leave a stone carried from home at the foot of the cross. It is a symbolic laying down of personal burdens.

Easter on the Camino is very busy because lots of Spaniards walk for a week, or a long weekend.
I would go in Early April, or May to miss Easter this year, but if you like the energy of a crowd, Easter is a good time to walk.

i would fly to Santiago and bus to Leon. I'm not up on the transportation details but I'm sure someone else will fill you in.

Begin walking for training, and plan to take as small a pack as possible.
I think you'll have the time of your lives.

David, Victoria, Canada

Thank you very much for your responses. Turns out we will be taking about 3 weeks now.

One question I still have is this. I was looking at a lightweight sleeping bag but it still will take up room in my backpack. I was considering using a silk liner instead and leaving the sleeping bag at home. Do the refugios offer blankets because if they do, I would take just the liner which is lighter and more compact.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back