• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Options

Frankybaby66

Time of past OR future Camino
Last Camino Sep 23 Camino Portuguese (Central)
Hi I'm planning on doing the coastal route next year and see that the John Brierley guidebook gives options and wondered if anyone had any recommendations.
I don't want to stay on the Literal beyond Vila da Conde, and don't want to cross to the Central route too early as I've done that route twice already.
Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks in advance, and Bon Camino/Bom Caminho

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked the Central route north of Porto, so my thoughts are based on reviewing Brierley's guide and the OSM mapping of the area north of Porto.

It appears to me that the first day of the Senda Litoral, on the day walking out of Porto, is the only day where there aren't good options to mix and match that and the Caminho da Costa. That said, there are sections where it appears that you would be on whichever you have chosen for a few hours before the two routes come back together.

As for options to cross to the Central route before Redondela, Brierley appears to really only give two. The first is to head inland to Sao Pedro de Rates from Vila do Conde, and continuing onto Valenca from Vila Nova de Cerveira. These make some sense as the places where that transition is likely to be shorter than doing it elsewhere.

Other options would be to head inland to Barcelos or Ponte de Lima. Both are on rivers, and linked to the coast by major roads, but whether there are suitable walking tracks beside either the rivers or roads isn't clear.

Of course, walking all the way from Porto to Redondela on the Caminho da Costa without doing much of the Senda Litoral beyond Vila do Conde would also be an option. I have considered that as an option for a future pilgrimage.

Edit: Brierley recommends http://www.caminador.es/. I haven't explored it in any great detail, so while it does appear to offer some other options, it doesn't show routes across from the coast to Barcelos and Ponte de Lima. I am prepared to suggest this means that they aren't really good options, but that assessment might be given the general credibility of 'guess'!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
What a wonderful day walking by the sea! My backpack felt good, my dry bag with poncho strategically clipped to the outside was handy! My first stop was in a bakery cafe near the mouth of the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back