• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Outbreak of legionella bacteria in Vila Franca de Xira (Lisbon-Porto)

santaremhostel

There is an outbreak of legionella bacteria in the county of "Vila Franca de Xira"
The symptoms are like a very strong flu and you need medical assistance - There is a cure for that :)
If you are about to start the caminho from Lisbon on the next days, my advise is to take the train to Azambuja or Santarem and start to walk from there.
I believe the outbreak will be controlled in the next weeks.
Will let you know
Mario

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There is an outbreak of legionella bacteria in the county of "Vila Franca de Xira"
The symptoms are like a very strong flu and you need medical assistance - There is a cure for that :)
If you are about to start the caminho from Lisbon on the next days, my advise is to take the train to Azambuja or Santarem and start to walk from there.
I believe the outbreak will be controlled in the next weeks.
Will let you know
Mario
Very dangerous bacteria. The other day here in Holland somebody died because of it. Be careful and stay away indeed.

Very dangerous bacteria. The other day here in Holland somebody died because of it. Be careful and stay away indeed.
Hi Albertino
Yes, dangerous, but no need to be alarmed...Just be careful!!
The bacteria lives in the water, but will only "get you" if you breath the steam.
As far I understood, you can drink the water with that bacteria and nothing will happen...(???)
But if you take a shower with that same water and breath the steam, then you might get it!
In particular, if you are over 60 years old with breath chronic issues you could die.
So this is the frame and there is a cure for that. IT IS NOT EBOLA!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Albertino
Yes, dangerous, but no need to be alarmed...Just be careful!!
The bacteria lives in the water, but will only "get you" if you breath the steam.
As far I understood, you can drink the water with that bacteria and nothing will happen...(???)
But if you take a shower with that same water and breath the steam, then you might get it!
In particular, if you are over 60 years old with breath chronic issues you could die.
So this is the frame and there is a cure for that. IT IS NOT EBOLA!!
Olá Mario. Here in Holanda they call it veteran disease. Some years ago there was a ferìa some where in the north of the Netherlands, where they were demonstrating and selling jacuzzis and hot tubs.
About 15 people died after visiting the fería.so since then everybody is on high alert when they speak about legionella.

Olá Mario. Here in Holanda they call it veteran disease. Some years ago there was a ferìa some where in the north of the Netherlands, where they were demonstrating and selling jacuzzis and hot tubs.
About 15 people died after visiting the fería.so since then everybody is on high alert when they speak about legionella.
Oh yes Albertino same disease !! Jacuzzi and hot tubs seems to be the perfect place to legionella

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Excellent thread, posted knowing that it would not be the best publicity for the Camino Portugues. The disease is very serious, and pilgrims should know about it. They also should have the perspective to know how to avoid it, and when it is no longer a problem. The danger may already be past, so I hope that it won't deter future pilgrims. Since you operate a hostel you know such problems from both sides, owner and consumer. I congratulate you on choosing openness.:):)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Last update, 13-Nov-2014:
Laurie, unfortunately, 7 people have died and 311 are hill. Yes, they believe those cooling towers might be the source and they were sealed/shut. Cooling towers from other plants in the area, were also sealed/shut as a safety measure. The number of new daily cases is decreasing, today 9, and the health authorities believe that on November 20th (10 days after the first victim) the legionella outbreak should be controlled.
No, it not spreads from person to person, only if you breath in the steam/moisture (mix sex hot Jacuzzi joke by Stephen). You can even drink water with legionella bacteria and you will not get ill. The issue is when the bacteria reach your lungs. Just hold your breath :)
No need to be alarmed, just be careful. If you are now or in the next days in Lisbon ready to start the CP, take the Express Bus to Santarém or the train to Azamubja or Santarem and start to walk from there. Please note, there are no safety measures is in place regarding public transports that cross that industrial area.
Falcon269, thank you for your comment, but as a forum member, what else...?
Bom Caminho
Mario

I am survivor of Legionnaire's and I was VERY ill for weeks and hospitalized with IV triple antibiotics . It is not a disease to take lightly.

I am survivor of Legionnaire's and I was VERY ill for weeks and hospitalized with IV triple antibiotics . It is not a disease to take lightly.

Hi krazeekuban,
Good to know that you have survived.
Would you share your experience, in particular the safety measures that a pilgrim should have to take in a scenario like this one?
Bom Caminho
Mario

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I became ill, I went to the emergency room on three occasions in a week time at the third we said that I was not leaving, I was admitted, tests were done and antibiotics started, extremely high fevers for over a week prior to that , shaky and unable to eat or drink. When my labs all returned a few days later, my titers were very elevated. It was reprted to diseases dept and I was the only case in Arizona reported during that time. I had been camping about two weeks before as well as a concert where there had been a misting system, may have been that. So to this day I stay away from the outdoor misting, not sure this was the cause. I don' t know how something like this is really preventable.

When I became ill, I went to the emergency room on three occasions in a week time at the third we said that I was not leaving, I was admitted, tests were done and antibiotics started, extremely high fevers for over a week prior to that , shaky and unable to eat or drink. When my labs all returned a few days later, my titers were very elevated. It was reprted to diseases dept and I was the only case in Arizona reported during that time. I had been camping about two weeks before as well as a concert where there had been a misting system, may have been that. So to this day I stay away from the outdoor misting, not sure this was the cause. I don' t know how something like this is really preventable.

Hi krazeekuban, thank you for your share and Bom Caminho!
Mario

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...
Barcelos was having a huge May 1 celebration when we passed through. There was a major unveiling of a sculpture titled Peregrina the following day—very big event. We weren’t there, so I lifted a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back