• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thinking of walking Lisbon to Porto around Christmas 2023

Perambulating Griffin

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello all;
On the heels of a series of losses, souse and I find that there is nothing to tie us to home this year, and the thought of making a Christmas meal for 2 is just depressing...
So we are thinking to take a small portion of my mother's remains and the glittering fairy princess key fob I found in her purse and have named after her, and heading to Lisbon for the holidays. Our aim is to go via Fatima (and if we time it right/get lucky we would arrive there for Christmas Day... mass all that wonderful stuff). And then we would continue onward toward Porto, going as far as weather and accommodations will permit.
So... maybe @jungleboy can help out with this... Is it feasible? I know much will be closed, but will *all* be closed? We can go comfortably in a day up to about 33km (after that it's less fun). Prime distances are 25-28.... Hoping those distances will find us what we need. We do not require donative but would rather not have to hit a hotel every night... And we are hoping for 15-16 days on the ground.
I will take all advice into consideration.
Anyone else... please feel free to chime in.
Neither one of us has any other time available and this is really about fleeing the North American debacle of Commercemass to arrive somewhere both more serious and more joyful about the holiday.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
walked from Lisbon to Porto in an April/May 2018. In all your planning, make sure you find enough places to sleep. Even at peak travel times, the number of albergues, hostels and hotels is much lower than after Porto or on the camino frances.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Are there any Airbnbs dotted along that route ?

So... maybe @jungleboy can help out with this...
No pressure though! 🤣

Not sure I can help much other than to say that when we walked the full CP in Sep 2020 all the municipal albergues and some other places were closed due to Covid, but we were still able to find accommodation each night, sometimes having to make some route adjustments. So although that wasn’t December, perhaps Christmas time would present a similar situation: some places closed, others open. I would just have a quick look on Booking.com, putting in Christmas dates in several towns just to have an idea of what’s open.

I like your Fátima idea. One thing we learned about Fátima this year is that it’s a special place when there are a lot of pilgrims (and a kind of weird one when there aren’t), so Christmas there would hopefully be a good experience. We stayed at Hotel Santo António de Fátima, which seemed like the type of place that would be open year-round (i.e. a large operation, not a family-run place).

Hello all;
On the heels of a series of losses, souse and I find that there is nothing to tie us to home this year, and the thought of making a Christmas meal for 2 is just depressing...
So we are thinking to take a small portion of my mother's remains and the glittering fairy princess key fob I found in her purse and have named after her, and heading to Lisbon for the holidays. Our aim is to go via Fatima (and if we time it right/get lucky we would arrive there for Christmas Day... mass all that wonderful stuff). And then we would continue onward toward Porto, going as far as weather and accommodations will permit.
So... maybe @jungleboy can help out with this... Is it feasible? I know much will be closed, but will *all* be closed? We can go comfortably in a day up to about 33km (after that it's less fun). Prime distances are 25-28.... Hoping those distances will find us what we need. We do not require donative but would rather not have to hit a hotel every night... And we are hoping for 15-16 days on the ground.
I will take all advice into consideration.
Anyone else... please feel free to chime in.
Neither one of us has any other time available and this is really about fleeing the North American debacle of Commercemass to arrive somewhere both more serious and more joyful about the holiday.
December is a great month to start out from Lisbon. It was surprising that when I did this walk in December 2021, many albergues and hotels were open. Hopefully, my reflective link below gives you some ideas. Hotel Aleluia in Fatima was a highlight as far as a clean, affordable and friendly place to stay for a day of rain. Much of the weather that year made for a delightfully walkable trail.

You can also see that I meandered off the trail often after Albergue Moinho Garcia and its peaceful waterfall setting. There's a memorable path to the beautifully tiled church in Valega from there, which albergue owner Nikalous can show you on maps.me. If you carry on to the northwest from there, you can spend time walking along the ocean, especially after Espinho, a seaside town with reasonably priced lodging.

Typically, I buy a Portuguese sim card upon arriving at one of Portugal's international airports (or e-sims now). In December 21 and 22 they had a one month deal for tourists for just over 20 euros. It's very handy for phoning ahead to find lodging, which I often did a day or a few hours before arriving. You probably want to do that between Christmas Eve and New Year's Day.

Footnote to a recent thread about staying somewhere the first night after leaving Lisbon: I'm a huge fan of walking closer to 15 km the first day of any camino if possible. Google maps will show you some guest houses and hotels about that distance from Se Catedral in Lisbon. I eventually walked a couple km off the path to a hotel along a narrow bustling highway, but it was worth it to feel well rested and blister-free the second day.

Bom Caminho!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Regardless… I don’t use AirBnB. Too much damage caused to local economies by it, so I stick to small, local, purpose-built tourist/pilgrim accommodations. I’m sure those interested in the AirBnB route can navigate to that platform…
I have good experiance with Airbnb, specially in Portugal

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There are many small businesses that do use Airbnb rather than booking.com. Many people rent rooms on AirBnb like small b&bs used to do through signs in windows or through the local tourist office. I agree that the model of flats in many popular tourist spots is damaging but in many other places Airbnb offers small businesses opportunities that they might miss otherwise
That’s fine. I don’t use the platform and I am not about to start. AirBnB has ruined the previously quiet river on which I have my home, and the private road that I cut by hand with my father in the 80’s and have improved considerably since. My one single neighbour on the road sold to a jerk who lied about wanting a family cottage for his children to enjoy an iconic Canadian childhood and instead began renting out the home to as many as 17 people per week. The road is ruined, as is the previous peace. Some jerk listed my private acreage as a hiking trail on Google and it took several weeks to get it removed… all the while more cars rutting and washboarding my road.
I said I was not interested in AirBnB suggestions. Why do people continue to try to persuade me of precisely what I do not want? I do not support the *platform*. I won’t maintain it as a vehicle that destroys entire cities and economies in other locations.
All tourism is fraught, but I try not to participate in things I find irredeemable on a global scale.
Now… if anyone would care to return to suggestions for things to see and do and not-to-miss places to stay during a December walk from LIsbon to Porto, I‘m here for that.
Perhaps people who want to extol the virtues of AirBnB can do it in another thread so that I do not have to read in this one exactly what I do not want.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back