• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Overwhelmed and excited

6abc

Hi everyone. Marianne and Dave from Ambler, Pennsylvania (right outside of Philadelphia). Are we crazy??? We have vacation time starting Oct.4, 2011. No plans as of yet. Came across the Camino de Santiago because we were thinking of going to Spain. (I usually plan a little further ahead but we weren't sure what we wanted to do) This looks like a fantastic adventure for us. I was reading alittle about different self-guided walking trips in a catalogue that I had and when I read about the Camino the I got chills and the hair stood up on my arms and I said "This is where we need to go"

We are both in our 60's (I just turned) and have done several self-guided walks in Italy, England, France and hike in the USA. So I want to keep moving to keep the old joint active.

I am overwhelmed by the many trails leading to the final destination and not quite sure how this all works. I think the best thing (once we decide which trail) suggestes VERY welcomed...might be to do a self-guided walk with one of the companies that do that (any suggestion would be appreciated - up to this point I have just googled self-guided tour groups). Since we are short on time this will probably be the less stressful thing.

HELP with:
Need suggestions on which paths to do as a first timer and in the month of OCT.
Any walking companies anybody has used for self-guided walking
Best place to fly into from the USA to get to our starting point
We usually like to get to a country a few days before our hike begins to get accustomed to the place and get our hiking legs going.

I think once I get a jumping off point I might be able to get it together in a month???

While I wait for replies I will try to read as many posts as I can. Just wanted to post as soon as I came across this site. So sorry if my questions are redundant with what others have asked.

Thanks in advance.
Marianne

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Marianne and Dave,
Well the good news is if you're crazy you've got lots of company here on the forum!
Let us know how long you have for walking as that will affect route and starting point suggestions.
You'll easily be able to get it together in a month especially as it seems that you're already quite fit and used to walking on a regular basis.
If walking the Camino Frances then the route is so well marked that you could do it without a guidebook or even a map.If you need the reassurance of knowing where you're going to end up each night, and are prepared to stay in private hostals, pensiones and hotels, then you can easily book them ahead yourself. The only issue will be if places still open or have closed down for the season. Raise a question here to find out the latest updates on that topic. However if you want to go the organised tour route Sil, a veteran forum member, does run guided tours so check them out they may be a fit for you. outhttp://www.amawalkerscamino.weebly.com/
Happy planning
Nell

Hi. Welcome.

To reiterate, we need to know how many days you want to walk.

It is helpful also to know, can you carry a rucksack that holds everything you need and weighs no more than 10kg for the duration of your journey?

How fast do you walk and for how many hours a day can you walk, ie, how many km can you reasonably expect to walk each day? With/without rucksack?

Do you want to have your luggage taken for you? If you do that you will not be allowed to stay in the municipal or parochial (church) albergues.

Once you post this info you will be deluges with suggestions.

Take a couple of hours to check the FAQ's. They will answer most of the questions that you have.

The important thing to remember is that it is your journey/pilgrimage; you must choose what is right for you. The Camino is an art not a science so don't worry if the advice is conflicting; make your plans to suit yourselves.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi,

MP98 has the right of it...take a look at the previous posts and especially his...you will find the Forum a cornucopia of sage advice and valuable links...once you digest...make a plan and buy your tickets...the rest will all fall into place.

Check out the Class of 2011 posting to see whom may be on Camino at the same time also the Camino Calendar at the bottom right of the page for additional insight into others walking the Way.

Buen "now the deluge of advice will come...or, not!"Camino

Arn

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
The important thing to remember is that it is your journey/pilgrimage; you must choose what is right for you. The Camino is an art not a science so don't worry if the advice is conflicting; make your plans to suit yourselves.

This is so true!

From what you say, Marianne & Dave, you're accustomed to walking. October is a great month for walking in Spain. You have several choices: Camino Frances, from Roncesvalles to Santiago; Camino del Norte; Camino Ingles; Via de la Plata...

You can check this website and see all that is available to you:
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los ... o/frances/

Depending on your number of days, you may want to start backward from Santiago and thus see where you can start. Then, as methodist.pilgrim said, after you check the FAQ section, you will get an idea and things will start flowing nicely.

Welcome and ¡Buen Camino!

Greetings from across the river...yup the good old Delaware! So very excited for you both. If you have any questions..this is the place to be! I lurked for quite a while back in 07 before our first in 08. This summer was the summer of the Camino Frances. Now I just wanna go back!

We all have/had the same questions at first..don't be shy about asking or just searching around here. If you wanna PM me...feel free, I usually check posts several times a week. But all in all sounds like you guys have a great handle on the whole hiking in foreign places down anyhow! Nell is right too, Sil of amaWalker does do "guided" or rather moderated walks. But not sure if the timing is going to mesh this time around. Check though, I could be wrong.

SO here's to happy planning and the joy of hearing those lovely words, on the actual trail, Buen Camino!

Karin

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My husband and I walked the Camino Frances from Leon to Santiago last October. We were 63 years old and not avid hikers, but relatively fit (my husband more so). We did not walk with any guide or company but found the almost 200 mile trek quite do-able over two weeks. Flying into Madrid (where we left a suitcase with city clothes), we overnighted and then hopped on a train to Leon (from Chamarin? station. It's easy to hop the metro at Puerto del Sol to get to the train station which is north of the city.) We again overnighted in a nice enough hotel in Leon and started our trek the next day. From Santiago we flew back to Madrid were we stayed two nights. It's all quite do-able and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trek so long as you think ahead about blister treatment! We live in State College, PA and have family in Doylestown (who moved a few years ago from Ft. Washington), so know your area. We would be happy to chat with you by phone, if you like, but we will be heading to England (and possibly walk part of the Cotswold Way) in two weeks. Linda

Hi Mariannne and Dave,

Welcome to the forum. Everybody else has said all the things I was going to say.

Buen Camino
Lydia

Marianne and Dave:

Where you start is somewhat dependent on how much time you have. Walked the Camino Frances this Spring (March/April) from SJPdP to Santaigo in 33 days. I am 61 my friend is 73. The route is well marked. If you decide to start in SJPdP, the first day is very steep. I would recommend you stop in Orisson (you will need to make a reservation). It is only 8km, that said, I believe the first day sets the tone for the first week.

My general advice is to pack as light as possible, start slowly and the Camino will take care of the rest.

Ultreya,
Joe

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Overwhelmed and excited,
I walked the Camino Frances from Roncesvalles last oct. it took 34 days to Santiago, I used a guide as I was on my own and found him fabulous! Pilgrim Pathways was the company and they will organise anything you need. It is such a fabulous experience, so keep your hearts and minds open and Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.