• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pacer poles / York Nordics?

Gobsmacked by the World

Are we there yet?
Time of past OR future Camino
CF SJPP - SDC 2022
CF (most likely) Aug 2024
Hello, I have decided to take the plunge and do another Camino but I am in somewhat agony about hiking poles.
I have a pair of servicable Leki poles, nothing wrong with them. However I do currently suffer from 'trigger finger' and grasping can sometimes be annoying.

I have stalked the Pacer Poles, they look very good...though the thought of paying their price makes my eyes water...
I came across these, on sale for $119 (USD I believe), and wanted to know if anyone has used them...the handles look identical to the Pacer Poles, but I am only going by the small pictures, and a Pacer aficionado may have a more precise opinion.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The only thing that puts me off that style of pole, is that you need to 'grip' the handle.
I wouldn't be able to use them.

So I use the more traditional style, whereby all the weight is on the strap, and it just requires a slight touch of 2 fingers on the pole handle to direct it.

I can't find a suitable picture as they all have a 'death grip' on the handle like this one......
First 2 fingers, alongside the handle guiding it, is all you need.
The weight is on the strap through the heel of your hand.

1712381437880.png

Definitely not identical to the Pacer Pole grip, but look as if they may work similarly.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I can only speak to Pacer Poles, but I don't have to "grip" them. My hands rest in the handles.
I stand corrected. so they have straps too?

Or maybe it is the term 'grip' that I used?

I don't even 'hold' my pole handles. My fingers just rest along one side and guide them.

I love my pacer poles. Yes, they're spendy, but they're awesome!
However, because of the price, in the past I've worried about them being stolen, so I've left them at home.
Last year, I used regular poles. I fell and almost broke my wrist from the danged strap. Never again!
This year, I would have liked to take my pacer poles, because I'm staying in privates most days.
But I got a $600 round trip ticket during a Black Friday sale and I'm allowed no checked baggage.
So it's a wooden staff for me if I need it this year.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Pacer Pole user since 2010 here -- and yes I'm still on my original set. There are two differences I can see between Pacers and the York-Nordics: the shape of the grip and the angle of the grip to the long axis of the pole. Plus, the Yorks are built for the lighter pressure of Nordic-style use and taller! -- but I'm assuming the length can be adjusted), where the Pacers are built to support much more body-weight repetitively (larger cross-section to the pole).

PS. The second year I was using them in France, a German couple wanted to buy them off me -- "name any price" they said -- and I refused.

I have been using these from Decathlon for months
If you are shorter than me they work as a standard Walking pole with wrist straps.
They have ergonomic handles that are padded and which need hardly any pressure to hold.
Given their low price and availability at Decathlon stores in most Spanish cities they won’t hurt to buy or leave at the end of a Camino.
They also come in a lighter version with cable lock - look at Decathlon on line

1712425020508.jpeg

You can buy just the top section for Pacers and convert your existing ones or cheaper ones, for me it's the grip that makes the difference. Plus they come in different sizes for different diameter poles. I screwed up and ordered the wrong diameter and they kindly sent me the correct ones allowing me to return the incorrect ones. Excellent product, Excellent customer service. 😊

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello, I have decided to take the plunge and do another Camino but I am in somewhat agony about hiking poles.
I have a pair of servicable Leki poles, nothing wrong with them. However I do currently suffer from 'trigger finger' and grasping can sometimes be annoying.

I have stalked the Pacer Poles, they look very good...though the thought of paying their price makes my eyes water...
I came across these, on sale for $119 (USD I believe), and wanted to know if anyone has used them...the handles look identical to the Pacer Poles, but I am only going by the small pictures, and a Pacer aficionado may have a more precise opinion.

I bought some Forclaz MT900 de cana trekking poles in San Sebastian when I did the Camino del Norte. The were "pacer pole like" - had a very similar hand grip. They were a good substitute. I didn't want to risk checking my pacer poles @ airport.
Pacer poles are the are the best.

They are very good, not similar to any other type I have seen, and provide excellent value IMO.

If you would like to buy them, then not buying them is false economy in the context of all the expenses of doing a Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've been perusing the York site a little more, and an advantage that they have over Pacer Poles is that they have a travel set that collapses much smaller than the Pacer Poles. It looks as if the grip might be as comfortable as the Pacer Poles. If I didn't already have Pacer Poles I would be tempted to buy the Nordic Poles on Amazon with free shipping and returns.

Most read last week in this forum

I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.