• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Pack weights: I just measured it

Hi Alyssa,

Someone told me that "my stuff was my burden". I was a slow learner and didn't jettison my Tevas, an air mattress and a few other "necessities" until I reached Leon. That said, I would have been chilly in the albergues in a silk liner last June/July and am taking a light fleece blanket this year.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've gone back and forth about the sleeping gear, Trekster. Did you need something warm in all the albergues or would you have been able to use a blanket on top of your liner at most of them?

I had a silk liner and a sleeping bag last year and found the liner wasn't enough for me. I was happy to use my own sleeping bag as the blankets, when available, fell into the "yikes" category. There are others who are just fine using the albergue blankets. I think you will find there are many opinions on this.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Beautifully put! You have made me laugh Alyssa.
To cheer you up, you won't need to carry that much water.
After many years I've come down in favour of a sleeping bag but the lightest one I can find that opens out flat. Currently I have a down filled sleeping bag liner which is adequate.

What do you put on top of you if you open it out flat? How much does yours weigh?

Yes, the opinions run the gamut! My impression is that more women than men tend to favor the sleeping bag, not surprising since bags are rated differently for men and women; REI mentions on their page about choosing a bag,
  • Gender: Women generally prefer a bit warmer bag than men, up to 8°F warmer per EN (European Norm) testing on backpacking bags.
(I've considered creating a poll about this.)

What do you put on top of you if you open it out flat? How much does yours weigh?

Alyssa, I throw my cotton sarong on the bed. That gives me the option of sleeping inside the bag or under it, like a doona. Or if it's really hot I sleep on top of the bag and use the sarong as a top sheet.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum