• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pack weight question

Kcorbharas

Time of past OR future Camino
Future: Sept 2023
Hello all
I begin my walk from SJPdP on Sept 6th and I am finalizing my gear

I’ve tried to search other threads for this info but can’t find exactly the advice I’m looking for

I’m 5’7” weighing 140lbs (63.5kg) and in very good shape

My pack fully loaded is 14lbs (6.35kg)

I was so happy I hit the 10% rule of thumb

That is until I realized I haven’t planned for water
I have a 2L water bladder and full it adds almost 3 extra lbs
Even if I went with the plastic water bottle method I’m still concerned about water weight

Is this worth leaving behind items that I might be considering “luxury” (ie, extra socks, extra bottoms, container of electrolytes, mini sun umbrella for meseta, journal, there’s a few more things that aren’t essentials)

What do you think?
All opinions and advice welcome

Buen camino 🙏

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
6.35 kg excl food and water is not bad. I carry that weight. But I do have a few 'extras'.
Why not post your packing list. Everyone loves a packing list!
Just be aware that the flood gates will open, as everyone has their own preferences on what to take.

This is my gear.

My wife's gear is just about the same except for a couple of sports bras, a hair brush and some lip balm!
And a mini hair dryer, that I carry :rolleyes:
The key is to generally:

1. Only pack what you will definitely need.
  2. Try to pack things that have a dual purpose.
  3. You only need 2 changes of clothes. The one you are wearing and a spare.
  4. Use 'layering' of clothes rather than bulky items.
Note. 2 litres of water is 2 kg = 4.4 lbs. Heavy stuff sadly......

Last edited:
I don’t use a water bladder. I use a Nalgene and buy a 12 oz water bottle every couple days. The Nalgene is just my reserve water and the other water bottle I fill up during the day. This works for me because the smaller water bottle I can easily take out of its pocket without having to take off my pack.

Here’s my packing list they might help: http://marisahikes.wordpress.com/

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
2L is twice what you’ll need. Also, if you can already claim things as “extra” perhaps let those go now rather than on the trail. Your pack isn’t exceptionally heavy, but a further lightening of your load is good for both your back and your soul.

I don’t use a water bladder. I use a Nalgene and buy a 12 oz water bottle every couple days. The Nalgene is just my reserve water and the other water bottle I fill up during the day. This works for me because the smaller water bottle I can easily take out of its pocket without having to take off my pack.

Here’s my packing list they might help: http://marisahikes.wordpress.com/

Packing lists are always fun to compare.
What was your total pack weight? I didn't see it.

Hello all

I’ve tried to search other threads for this info but can’t find exactly the advice I’m looking for

I was so happy I hit the “10% rule”

Even if I went with the plastic water bottle method I’m still concerned about water weight

Is this worth leaving behind items that I might be considering “luxury” (ie, extra socks, extra bottoms, container of electrolytes, mini sun umbrella for meseta, journal, there’s a few more things that aren’t essentials)

What do you think?

Buen camino 🙏
A couple of points:
  • There is no 10% rule. It is at best a guide, and in my view is okay for a summer walk. You are walking in early autumn, and one could expect to have slightly more or slightly heavier items for the conditions you will face. As a simple example, where you might not carry rain pants in summer, you might do that in spring and autumn.
  • Next, the 10% guidance is generally for bare pack weight, the weight without consumables like food, water, medications and other things that will be used along the way. It appears to me that you have achieved that, and I wouldn't be making any major changes for that reason.
  • If you do think you have 'luxury' items, trimming them is worth considering, but not to the extent that you don't have what you need on a day to day basis and enough to address reasonable risks. That might be things like having enough Compeed in your first aid kit to treat several blisters, not just one. Sure, there are pharmacies along the way, tiendas and supermarkets as well, but they don't appear by magic just at the time you most need them, and it might be a couple of days walking to find an open pharmacy in places.
  • Finally, consider your 'from the skin out' weight. This includes all the things that you are currently worrying about. FSO is everything you will be wearing and carrying. So it includes your pack and its base weight contents, your clothes and anything you are carrying in your pockets, walking poles, and any other consumables. The authors of The Complete Walker IV suggest a target of 20% of your body weight.
    • They put this in a roundabout way, stating that walking speed and endurance begins to suffer at that point, and that FSO=30% should be the maximum load for hiking.
    • if you reverse this, your FSO20 would be 12.7 kg, of which you have consumed 6.35 kg thus far, leaving 6.35 kg as your residual weight budget. This will be reduced by the weight of your clothes, etc. While I don't know what that will be, lets work on that being around 2.5 kg, leaving 4 kg for food, water and other consumables that you will need.
    • In that context, I don't see a problem carrying 2li of water, although you might want to adjust how much you do start out with if you are confident that you will find somewhere convenient to refill when you need to.
In all this, to walk far or fast, carry less. And it needs to work for you. You clearly don't have much time left before you start, so be cautious about what you do trim. There is no shame, for example, in adjusting along the way by sending some stuff forward or leaving it behind. On my first camino, I got rid of warm base layers clothes that I had packed to cross the Pyrenees after I had done that leg. Sending stuff forward to Casa Ivar is now a regular feature of my camino pattern.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A couple of points:
  • There is no 10% rule. It is at best a guide, and in my view is okay for a summer walk. You are walking in early autumn, and one could expect to have slightly more or slightly heavier items for the conditions you will face. As a simple example, where you might not carry rain pants in summer, you might do that in spring and autumn.
  • Next, the 10% guidance is generally for bare pack weight, the weight without consumables like food, water, medications and other things that will be used along the way. It appears to me that you have achieved that, and I wouldn't be making any major changes for that reason.
  • If you do think you have 'luxury' items, trimming them is worth considering, but not to the extent that you don't have what you need on a day to day basis and enough to address reasonable risks. That might be things like having enough Compeed in your first aid kit to treat several blisters, not just one. Sure, there are pharmacies along the way, tiendas and supermarkets as well, but they don't appear by magic just at the time you most need them, and it might be a couple of days walking to find an open pharmacy in places.
  • Finally, consider your 'from the skin out' weight. This includes all the things that you are currently worrying about. FSO is everything you will be wearing and carrying. So it includes your pack and its base weight contents, your clothes and anything you are carrying in your pockets, walking poles, and any other consumables. The authors of The Complete Walker IV suggest a target of 20% of your body weight.
    • They put this in a roundabout way, stating that walking speed and endurance begins to suffer at that point, and that FSO=30% should be the maximum load for hiking.
    • if you reverse this, your FSO20 would be 12.7 kg, of which you have consumed 6.35 kg thus far, leaving 6.35 kg as your residual weight budget. This will be reduced by the weight of your clothes, etc. While I don't know what that will be, lets work on that being around 2.5 kg, leaving 4 kg for food, water and other consumables that you will need.
    • In that context, I don't see a problem carrying 2li of water, although you might want to adjust how much you do start out with if you are confident that you will find somewhere convenient to refill when you need to.
In all this, to walk far or fast, carry less. And it needs to work for you. You clearly don't have much time left before you start, so be cautious about what you do trim. There is no shame, for example, in adjusting along the way by sending some stuff forward or leaving it behind. On my first camino, I got rid of warm base layers clothes that I had packed to cross the Pyrenees after I had done that leg. Sending stuff forward to Casa Ivar is now a regular feature of my camino pattern.
Wow this was so insightful and well put. Thank you so much for your help. I will be taking all of this into consideration!

I'm a lot older than you, same weight, a little taller, and my pack without water or food usually weighs between 14 and 15 lbs. The important thing though is how does it feel? Can you carry it comfortably for six hours a day? If you answered yes, you're good to go.

2L is twice what you’ll need.
I prefer to offer more nuanced advice than this. Noting that in most cases on the CF, the next place will be about an hour away, carrying just a litre might be enough for consumption and a little safety margin. But there are perhaps 40% of places that are going to be a couple of hours away, particularly before Leon, and there will be one or two quite long stretches, perhaps three or more hours for most of us. Just having one litre wouldn't work for me for those longer legs, and they occur frequently enough for me to always carry a minimum of two litres.

My thinking is to always have sufficient for two hours walking, when I can stop at a bar and refill there if I need to. If you only need to consume 500 ml/hr, then one litre would do that, but possibly with no safety margin. I know that I consume more than that, so I carry more.

I don’t remember exactly but I think it was 12 maybe 13 lbs. On a recent Camino I carried 14 lbs.
Mine's about the same.
13-15 lbs or 6-7 Kg seems to be a relatively easy weight to get down to I think.
Getting below that requires tougher decisions on what to leave out :rolleyes:
I keep trying!

I prefer to offer more nuanced advice than this. Noting that in most cases on the CF, the next place will be about an hour away, carrying just a litre might be enough for consumption and a little safety margin. But there are perhaps 40% of places that are going to be a couple of hours away, particularly before Leon, and there will be one or two quite long stretches, perhaps three or more hours for most of us. Just having one litre wouldn't work for me for those longer legs, and they occur frequently enough for me to always carry a minimum of two litres.

My thinking is to always have sufficient for two hours walking, when I can stop at a bar and refill there if I need to. If you only need to consume 500 ml/hr, then one litre would do that, but possibly with no safety margin. I know that I consume more than that, so I carry more.
I’ve walked more than a few Caminos. My advice is based on that. Where there are larger gaps between cities, there are water sources on the CF. If she suggested a different route, then my advice would be different. Also, walking in the Fall is radically different than the height of summer and the need for frequent hydration dramatically changes.

I stand by the 1L of water capacity for the CF when she is walking.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Also, walking in the Fall is radically different than the height of summer and the need for frequent hydration dramatically changes.

I, on the other hand, agree with Doug on this one. An unexpected hot day, a missed water source, and you're in for a pile of misery.
And, as the OP is starting soon - it's still HOT out there!
Doug makes the point that water needs, like everything else, is individual.

@Kcorbharas, only you know how much water you need. If you don't know roughly what your consuming on your training walks, err on the side of caution to start. Once you know, carry that, and half a litre more for the unexpected.
Advice that is frequently given: every time you come across a water source, first top up yourself (drink your fill), then top up your water bottle.
On pack weight :

Comfortable

If yes, you're good to go!
Buen Camino!

have a 2L water bladder and full it adds almost 3 extra lbs
Actually, 2L of water will weigh 4.4 pounds.

Most of us talk about the weight of our packs excluding the water and daily snacks. However, since there is no clear basis for the "10% guide", there is no clear indication of what should be included in that weight.

If you are very fit, you will probably be fine with 6.35 kg plus water. I am moderately fit and 75, and can manage 6 kg plus 1.5 L of water (for walking routes with no intermediate sources), with a well-fitted and comfortable backpack.

I'm a lot older than you, same weight, a little taller, and my pack without water or food usually weighs between 14 and 15 lbs. The important thing though is how does it feel? Can you carry it comfortably for six hours a day? If you answered yes, you're good to go.
You're taller than 5' 7", Trecile?
I played the pack weight games before I left and then, while I was walking through the Bierzo region and doing some sampling in the winery tasting rooms, I ended up carrying two bottles of wine in my side pockets. It's all a trade-off.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I also brought a sun umbrella and ended up not needing it. We started walking very early in the morning and were usually finished with our stage by noon. We did the meseta part in July. We found hats and sunscreen were enough so I donated the umbrella at an albergue. Just a thought.

Well, I hope she follows the hint give earlier by @Peterexpatkiwi and works out what her water consumption is, and knowing that would allow her to plan how much she needs to carry at the start of each day, or at each stop before proceeding.
@Kcorbharas, only you know how much water you need. If you don't know roughly what your consuming on your training walks, err on the side of caution to start. Once you know, carry that, and half a litre more for the unexpected.

Hello all

What do you think?

Buen camino 🙏
That´s not really that heavy. The time to chuck things out is when you discover you don´t need them. For what it´s worth, I am 5'8'' and I carry a lot more than 6.35kg. It hasn´t killed me yet.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sorry, chiming in.

OP, pack weight is less important than, Can you carry it for multiple hours, with breaks, every day for ....what. 35 days?

And I wholeheartedly agree with Peterexpatkiwi. If you've done long hikes or endurance events, you already know what you need for both water and electrolytes. (If you don't, by all thats holy, please go do a training hike!)

Don't be pound foolish and end up cramping and or dizzy and or nauseous on the trail between pueblos because you didn't carry enough. Start high, and work your way down.

There are no prizes or awards for going on pilgrimage with the lightest pack.

luxury” (ie, extra socks, extra bottoms
I guess it depends on what you mean by extra. Personally I always wear one, carry 2 = 1 spare pair. The moment it rains 2 day’s in a row and you can’t get your things dry, that spare pair is no longer a luxury! And in Spring/Autumn thing’s don’t always dry that well.
Beyond that it’s up to you. What are you comfortable with? Frankly, at your pack weight I certainly wouldn’t be worrying about getting rid of anything

You're taller than 5' 7", Trecile?
Yes, 5' 8"
I also brought a sun umbrella and ended up not needing it.
I hate wearing hats and love being able to carry my personal shade, so my umbrella always goes with me. I also like it for the rain. But we all have different preferences!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On ultralightweight backpacking forums, they will talk about "kilos are made of grams; pounds are made of ounces". Everything needs to be scrutinized as people (myself included) tend to pack their fears. The lighter you go, the happier you will be,

I would leave the journal behind and use your phone to capture your thoughts. I use a voice recorder on my phone and google transcribes the words with good accuracy.

On ultralightweight backpacking forums, they will talk about "kilos are made of grams; pounds are made of ounces".
I've heard "ounces lead to pounds, and pounds less to pain." Or "grams lead to kilos, and kilos lead to pain."

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello all

What do you think?

Buen camino 🙏
Pack Weight guidance excludes water and food. It’s the daily base weight. PS. It’s only guidance not a hard and fast rule that you cannot breach. In winter the 10% is rarely met due to extra layers, warmer sleeping kit etc.

Pack Weight guidance excludes water and food. It’s the daily base weight. PS. It’s only guidance not a hard and fast rule that you cannot breach. In winter the 10% is rarely met due to extra layers, warmer sleeping kit etc.
Hey there! I start my camino Aug 27 from San Sebastián to Santiago. I too am from Florida. Have you hiked/walked with pack and bladder full of water? I suggest trying out how that feels rather than taking stuff out. It’s my first camino but not my first backpacking. Rick from Tampa

Hello all

What do you think?

Buen camino 🙏
From your photo you look young, and if you are in very good shape, forget the 10% thing. You may have no problem carrying 20+ lbs. That said, you are from Florida, so have you actually trained on hills on a 6-8 hour trek carrying your pack??? Do that 3 days in a row, and that will be the tell on your pack weight and comfort. Using trekking poles consistently and properly will carry your pack weight and then some. As others said, September is still quite hot. Hydration is key, and some fountains/springs will be dry. I have done the CF numerous times, so I know where to water up, drink extra in villages, and where to get the next supply. I only need two half-liter bottles, plus an empty in my pack I can fill where necessary. You, without experience, should heed advice of others here, and carry up to 2 liters sometimes. You do not always have to fill your bladder completely if you know you can get water within an hour or two.

For my age and physical condition, I find that every half pound I cut from my weight (both body and pack) makes a big difference in trekking comfort and endurance. Personally, I don't carry any books, journals or guides; that is all done on my phone. I only carry one spare set of clothes for wearing at night while the other set dries from the hand wash I do every day. Pack base weight is 8 lbs. Add snacks and water, and it is 10.5 lbs. Buen Camino!!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hey there! I start my camino Aug 27 from San Sebastián to Santiago. I too am from Florida. Have you hiked/walked with pack and bladder full of water? I suggest trying out how that feels rather than taking stuff out. It’s my first camino but not my first backpacking. Rick from Tampa
PS. I walked with a 1 litre recyclable PET water bottle with a screw-top as there are plenty of refill stations. Bought it with water in duty free Stansted airport, lasted the full 6-weeks of my trip. On the odd very long day with few points I had a second collapsible 1l bottle on the side of my pack. Much easier to clean and maintain over 5-6 weeks than a bladder.

The 10% pack weight rule is a myth. Imagine someone your height that weighs 200 lb. So their pack weight is 20 lb? I know, I tried it and failed miserably, and also damaged a leg.

The best pack weight rule is "less is more." Take things that have more than one purpose, as much as possible. What can you do without for 5 or 6 weeks? Clothes changes? Underwear - wear one, pack one. End of day, wash one, wear the spare. Same for shirts. I took pants with removable lower legs, and one pair of shorts, walking boots and sandals or even better, flipflops.

Water bladders can be a pain. When empty, they come out fine but filling may take removal and then getting it back in can be a fight. I purchase a bottle of water when I arrive and use that bottle over and over again and it is lighter than the bladder itself.

The best rule to follow is, as before, make things do more than one thing for you, go for the lest and the lightest. My personal rule is apck weight is 10 lb or less, preferably less.

I would take out the bladder and use easily refillable water bottles. Every day I also drink on buying. or carry awhile, a cold can or bottle of electrolytes -- Kas or Aquarius. I always carry a super light UV umbrella, for rain and shine. Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In addition to water, it is vitally important to carry some kind of salty/sweet snack food to replace burned calories and loss of salt by sweating. Always have some food in your pack in case you are not near a cafe.

You can learn how much food and water that you need to carry by training at home before your Camino.

-Paul

Hello all

What do you think?

Buen camino 🙏
That's a very good base weight. In general "backpacking" when talking about pack weight food, water, (gas backcounty not the Camino) is not included in that weight, and called your base weight. Because water, food, and gas varies all the time. If you really want to cut weight, try and knock out your luxury items. Maybe swap out liquid items with dry items, like soap sheets, shampoo with dry shampoo sheets. Light weight shirts like OR Echo series. Sunscreen solid stick instead of cream/ liquid. Little stuff like that will reduce the ounce that can add up fast.

Hello all

What do you think?

Buen camino 🙏
I found that it was best to leave behind those "luxury" or "just in case " things. I never really needed them. You can always buy things.
Water weight is water weight, bladder or bottle. I like the bladder to keep easily hydrated. You can fill it as much as you need. Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would take out the bladder and use easily refillable water bottles.
It's really personal preference. I find it much easier to drink out of the bladder tube, so that's what I use. I normally put one liter into my two liter water bladder in the morning. Occasionally I'll bump that up to 1.5 liters on warmer days, or days with towns far apart. I do also carry a small disposable type water bottle with about 0.2 liters as "emergency" water in case I drink everything in the bladder.

I carry my water bottle in a pouch on my shoulder strap. In front. No matter what combo I tried I could never reach one out of my side pockets. Got tired of asking my wife to hand it to me, then put it back. I am sure she did too. Buen Camino

Hello all

What do you think?

Buen camino 🙏
14 pounds (less food and water) is perfect. You'll not even know it's on your back.

Hello all

What do you think?

Buen camino 🙏
I would leave the journal at home and write on your phone or do an audio journal. Extra socks you will want. The electrolytes you can get here in Spain at any farmacia in small lightweight packets. But you'll do well with your pack at the current weight - even with water. I don't think I would carry a full 2L at the beginning of each day unless it's a long stretch without svs or water available. Like after Carreon de las Condes for 17kms. But you sound like you're ready.

Anything less than 6.5 kg before food and water is excellent. I think less than that means you are in the ‘super-light’ stage that can mean more expensive items or less items.
Last Camino my 6.5kg pack included a lightweight sleeping bag and UV umbrella.
For some these are luxury items but for me they make my Camino more pleasant. The umbrella is good for sun and rain and can reduce need for water in the heat so there is a trade off in grams.
All journaling was done on my phone using the FindPenguins app.
At this point I would go with what you have planned. You will fine tune along the way. .
Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello all

What do you think?

Buen camino 🙏
Water is heavy, I usually buy on the Way to cut down on weight, a good hat is better than a parasol, you need your arms for balance or walking poles rather than holding up an umbrella or parasol, many albergues have washing facilities for clothes and most big towns will have launderettes..so you can freshen clothes at intervals of your choosing...check your bag again, you will find unnecessary items....but let your personal choice guide you....be careful, the world is getting hotter so use a good sun block and protect your eyes....finally, start your walk early and finish before the sun devours you....Buen Camino

a good hat is better than a parasol, you need your arms for balance or walking poles rather than holding up an umbrella or parasol
My umbrella is hands free. It attached to my pack so I can use my poles. It's much better than a hat in hot days in my opinion because it provides quite a bit of shade - a lot more than a hat!

First of all, 6,35kg is not bad. Lots of people made it to Santiago with way heavier packs.

Secondly, you can in all likelyhood lose some of that weight. But nobody can do more than speculate unless you post a list of whats inside the pack. If you want to go that distance, put every item in the pack on your kitchen scale and write its weight down. As others have said, grams make kilos...

I walk with less than 4kg. I am around 180cm and weigh around 82kg. Some of my gear is rather expensive, and some only works because in combination (like a frameless backpack). But it is very possible to have a very light pack without having to do so without comfort. I find it very helpful to consider with each item if the comfort is worth the extra weight. If thats an umbrella, a journal, or (in my case) a yoga mat... entirely up to you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
a good hat is better than a parasol, you need your arms for balance or walking poles rather than holding up an umbrella or parasol,
I once would have said something similar, but I walked with a trekking umbrella that clipped onto my pack harness on the CP(VE) in 2023. Best thing I have ever done. It was well worth the extra weight, and made many hot days much more comfortable being able to walk without always wearing a hat.

Hello all

What do you think?

Buen camino 🙏
You’ll do fine! Just walk. And have fun. (And stop and fix the first sign of a blister. That’s all that can stop you!)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello all

What do you think?

Buen camino 🙏
Maybe a simple solution. Don't fill your water bladder. There is always water available during your day and the water quality in Spain is really good.

a good hat is better than a parasol, you need your arms for balance or walking poles rather than holding up an umbrella or parasol,

I would agree, if indeed one had to 'hold' the umbrella.

But it's easy to make it hands free. I use these clips, but previously just used velcro straps.
Clips are less fiddly.

My umbrella would be one of the very last things I would leave behind.
On warm days it's like having a personal 'tree' for shade and it seems to create a nice breeze across my head. Even at just 20 or 22C this year I used it, as the sun was scorching!

But hey, we are all different.........

I mainly use it for Sun protection. 95% of the time.
But in rain, it stops me having the wipe my glasses all the time!
And I don't need to wear a hat or hood.

photo courtesy of fellow Forum member.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What do you think?
On my first Camino (CF, 2019) I weigh 84kg and walked with a pack just slightly above 5kg plus water.
On my second Camino (CP) this year I still weigh 84kg and I walked with almost 6kg plus water.

The water (2 bottles of 0,5l) stored in waist-pack (for the essentials, papers, money, Credential etc.), so the weight will not add stress on my back, just on hip and legs.
It was very comfortable to walk and will highly recommend this.

HTH

Hello all

What do you think?

Buen camino 🙏
And there was me carrying 15kg in July!!! But then I’m ex British Army and used to carrying much heavier. Never bothered me at all.

I’ve done just a couple hikes around 7 miles but I intend to go further this weekend. I’m in St Pete! Any recs on good hiking spots around here?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The easiest place to trimm weight is your backpack(bp). Most people buy bp
like they are going to war, weights ~1.5kg by themselves. You can save ~1kg by using a bp from zpacks ~ 300g.

A more controversial way would be to lose a few pounds in the weeks before the camino, since
you have trained with 140lb losing 5lbs would make that bp feel like a cloud ! ;;--)

just my 2 cents

Last edited:

I walked CF May/June this year and found that a 1.5 litre bottle was sufficient but regularly topped up in towns and villages on the way - either at fountains (agua portable) or cafes etc with tap water - no problems healthwise with either.

A couple of points:
I will be walking my first Camino from Porto in October. Your point about the 10% rule is spot on from what I understand. I’m a woman that is 5’2” and 115 pounds and in good shape. If I was the same height and 300 pounds, it is doubtful in that type of shape, 30 pounds would be doable.

Hello all

What do you think?

Buen camino 🙏
You still have time to adjust. You only need one day outfit and one night outfit because you do laundry every day. Also, you do not need to fill your water bladder. I typically put one liter in each day. There are countless water stations all along in the little villages. Enjoy!

You’ve done a good job. At some point on the Camino, maybe after several days, I think you will start to look at your pack very critically and decide there are things you don’t really need. Then, you can throw them away, donate them, or mail them ahead to Santiago.
This year, after 5 days on my seventh Camino, I mailed 3 pounds back home🤷🏻‍♂️.

On water, although the risk is small, the idea of putting a bag of water in a pack that you are trying to keep water out of seems a risk not worth taking when there are easy solutions. See tube adapters readily available on Amazon. Added advantages to using PET bottles: lighter, much easier to monitor consumption and much easier to refill.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I've just done my first pre-Camino pack for the first time since 2020 to check whether I have everything. I've never been able to go with the barebones approach often recommended here (for example I will have three sets of clothes as I don't want to have to do laundry every day) and have brought the weight down by buying lighter stuff over time.

The point I would make is that if you are comfortable with your pack then it is right for you, and your decision is not final once you hit the trail.

Lastly, heresy of heresies you are allowed to buy extra stuff along the way if you decide it would make your Camino better, not just discard it.

Last edited:
And there was me carrying 15kg in July!!! But then I’m ex British Army and used to carrying much heavier. Never bothered me at all.
😅 I know the feeling. I carry about 15-16 kg in the summer months. My next begins 4.sep and it's about 13kg now without water. I'm ex danish army and anything below 15 is a luxury. Also - I like to prepare for "what if".

Hello all

What do you think?

Buen camino 🙏
Go with the absolutely smallest, tiniest amount you possible can.....nothing "extra"....one of the amazing folks called that part of the pack one's "fears".
You can literally purchase any any anything you actually might need.
My pack was 14+ kilos....I started the Camino at 195.
It was a mistake to do that.
Buen buen Camino!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There's a world of a difference from 6.35kg to 14+ kg!! That's a full backcountry trail pack, with tent, stove, cooking gear, food for several days and probably enough room left over for the kitchen sink.
The OP has done a great job.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.