• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona Panic!

Jennybelle

Time of past OR future Camino
June - August (2013)
Hello all,

We are in pamplona at the moment and feeling very overwhelmed. Going from very pilgrim friendly environments to a city has been a big challenge today! It's also Sunday so there are no shops open for supplies. Everything is aching and we are need of some inspiration! Thinking about getting a bus from pamplona to puente la reina or similar. Can anybody recommend where to go next by bus to stop for a day? Feeling very lost.

Thankyou! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Jennybelle said:
Hello all,

We are in pamplona at the moment and feeling very overwhelmed. Going from very pilgrim friendly environments to a city has been a big challenge today! It's also Sunday so there are no shops open for supplies. Everything is aching and we are need of some inspiration! Thinking about getting a bus from pamplona to puente la reina or similar. Can anybody recommend where to go next by bus to stop for a day? Feeling very lost.

Thankyou! :)

jennybelle,

You might either walk the 8 k or so to Cizur Menor or take a bus and stay at the Roncal private albergue, See this web page for more info. >> http://www.elalberguedemaribel.com/. If you call in advance Maribel will tell you which bus to take. Here are her telephone numbers mañanas/mornings: 670 32 32 71 tardes/afternoons: 948 18 38 85. I believe the bus leaves from the post office in Pamplona but I am not certain. You will enjoy the garden I am sure. Maribel speaks many languages so English is no problem.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

A city bus goes to Cizur Menor. Look on a bus kiosk map. The route goes by the university on an extension to Cizur. The bus frequency is about one per hour.

A taxi will be under 20€.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We were there on a sunday last month and while the farmacia in the older section was closed we found one near the running of the bulls statue that was open on a sunday. Also the caminoteca store was open and also shops selling bocadillas to go. Check out the big park as you leave town, very nice and peaceful. Most pilgrims walked right past it in a rush to get out of town but we enjoyed it for at least an hour before getting back to walking.

I can't imagine you're on the edge if Pamplona if you are overwhelmed by the city's size. If you've reached the center, you're just minutes from leaving.

Take a deep breath. Walk on. It gets less busy fast.

Agree with the last post completely.
If you are unsettled by Pamplona you had better get a bus before Burgos and Leon.

Jenny , the Camino is a learning experience.
After 3 days you are making judgements about friendly environments , settle down mate.

We found the parks and back alleys in these larger cities very rewarding.
Mix with the locals, there will be areas open for them to dine, have a good rest with other pilgrims [ they are there ] and yes as Bill said take a good deep breath.
Shorten the days as you are now doing the book stages which is clearly WRONG.

At the end you will smile at your post and maybe return one day to enjoy the city of Pamplona.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Just take a deep breath, try and get a good night's sleep, and walk on out of there in the morning. If you take the bus you will miss the wonderful pilgrim sculpture on the top of Alto del Perdon tomorrow.
Margaret

Attachments

• alto del perdon.jpg
    alto del perdon.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 1,889
As I recall it the walk from downtown Pamplona to Cizur Minor was much more pleasant than the walk into downtown Pamplona. When compared to the other major cities on the road Pamplona is a nice town.

I've been to Pamplona three times and have always thought it a nice little town, though a very different one architecturally to what I am used to. Within an hour of setting off from the pilgrim hostal Jesus Y Maria, you will be in a rural area. You will climb the Alto Perdon and then descend towards Puenta la Reina.

If you want to bus out of the city, there are regular local buses that will take you onwards to Puenta la Reina or Estella.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hey Jochen ,

She has long gone mate

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thankyou so much for your replies

We are in carrion de Los condes now and have really enjoyed every single step! Looking back, Pamplona wasn't so bad. I guess we were just worn out and overwhelmed by the culture shock. I absolutely LOVED burgos. We spent three days there and didn't want to leave the language barrier is disintegrating and friends are falling together think and fast. Having such a lovely time! I love camino life! X

I'm delighted for you - and it's great to hear an update from later on the Camino -

We appreciate the update Jenny.
Don't hurry getting into Leon , take your time .
Keep well

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back