• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Panniers: Roll Top versus Regular Capacity Calculation

rfii

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning
I am a total newb for bike gear. I see there are roll top and zip top panniers. People say that you can get more space in the roll top panniers by simply not rolling them up, but obviously that's less practical if you don't want your stuff to fall out. So my question is whether the capacity for roll top panniers is calculated with it rolled up or with an open top. In other words, if I get a 45L roll top pannier is that actually less space than a 45L zip top pannier?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Maybe you want to consider something way smaller.

I did the via Francigena in 2014 with a front handlebar bag and two deuter uni 19 liters pannier (total weight around 8-10 kg. It really makes the bike very rear heavy should the bike is on a trail.

This year I did the Mozarabe with my backpack. I was walking the Camino Interior before that. Much better balance overall. Naturally if I had not been walking and planning a bike only Camino I would have it on a small rear pack like this ultralight biking site has recommended.

http://ultralightcycling.blogspot.com/

Even on the Mozarabe I saw a biker on the Camino with just the handlebar bag and a portable rear rack with a small bag. The rear bag only carries his sleeping bag which he would have to use if he is staying in a hostal instead of albergue. The front bag all his small items, electronics, etc. Hydration on the two bottles on the bike. And his carries a 20 liter backpack that only has his evening clothes (very light). He wash his cycling wear every evening and dried in the morning. I was really impressed.

The thing about biking on the Camino is that it is not full touring setup and only slightly more than credit card touring. Unless you plan to go only on the road all the time it is better to be so light as possible and enjoy more on the trail.

Interesting question. I have Ortlieb back roller classic panniers. Website says they hold 40l, rolled up I would say it's a bit less than that, if I keep them open (as often happens when cycling back from supermarket) I suspect they hold about 80l. I think pannier volume is a bit like rucksack volume. If you go with zips/pockets not all space maybe useable. The good thing about roll tops is that there is very little to go wrong, I've had my ortliebs for 10+ years and use them almost everyday and they are still going strong. As Evan says, 2 X 40l is quite a lot of space for a camino - that's what I usually take when going touring and need to carry all my camping gear.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just to clarify, I the panniers I'm looking at are 20L each or 40L total for a pair. But same principle applies...

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.