• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Altra trail shoes versus hiking shoes

chuckhibbs

Time of past OR future Camino
I’m planning on hiking the CF for the second time in September. I am wondering if anyone has some experience walking with the Altra trail shoes, especially regarding their durability to last at least 650 + miles. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
650+ miles? That’s one hell of a C
The CF is about 500 miles. If you add on Santiago to Finisterre plus little trips to the nearest bar or supermarket then you´re probably getting near 650 miles. I can´t answer the question for these shoes but most makes should last about that long but be on their last legs (sorry about the pun) by the end of it. I´ve worn different makes on different caminos and they have all been just about wearable by the end.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’m planning on hiking the CF for the second time in September. I am wondering if anyone has some experience walking with the Altra trail shoes, especially regarding their durability to last at least 650 + miles. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!
I just finished walking from St Jean to Muxia in the Altra Olympus. They held up really well. By the last day of walking the soles under the balls of my feet were worn down to nothing and the insides around the heels were torn up… but they made it. I’d wear them again no question. They lasted through heavy mud, heavy rain, 90+ degree heat, and all the terrain. They were super comfy throughout. Only issue I had was rocks and sand getting in to the shoe while walking, but with trusty gators, that wasn’t a problem.

Attachments

• IMG_7799.jpeg
    IMG_7799.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 86
Thank you. I’m leaning towards purchasing Altra’s because of the large toe box area. I was hoping that could a pair of light hiking shot with larger toe box area that wouldn’t fall apart before I finished the CF.
Again thanks for sharing your experience.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I tried the Altra shoes. After a few months, I had issues with my Achilles tendon. I went to physio for weeks to no avail. My brother-in-law was a podiatrist. He stopped me wearing the shoes one day and said that's what's giving you the Achilles issues. It's not uncommon for the no drop shoes to create tension in the Achilles - so make sure you have spent lots of time in them before you go.

Sorry, I’m planning on doing a bit of hiking in preparation for the Camino 😂
If you plan to train in the Altras I would recommend that you buy a new pair of the same model on the Camino. These types of shoes do not need to be "broken in." You just need to wear the new pair a couple of times to make sure that there are no manufacturing defects that make them uncomfortable.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I tried them on, very comfortable and light. Noticed the zero drop. I agree the b st thing to do is try them and see if their are any foot/ achilles problem. REI has a great return policy.
Thank all of you for your helpfulness. I appreciate it!

I have been using the Altra Olympus (3 pair) for a few years and many miles now. They work well for me but the zero drop did take a bit of getting used to. Im not all that sold on the zero drop hype, but the wide toe box is a must for me. Another wide toe box shoe worth mention is the Topo Athletic UltraVenture.. a bit less expensive than the Altra, and a bit less cushion, but for me slightly more comfortable.

Altra in the past has not been known to be very long lasting shoes, but i seen many people using them on the Frances and the general consensus seems to be that they will likely last the 500-600 miles. I would just recommend starting with a rather new pair.
(Also: maybe they have improved. They seem to come out with ne revisions quite frequently)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
How long an individual person’s shoes last has much to do with the terrain one walks, one’s gait, and how heavily one strikes a given part of the sole. I wear out the outer edges of the heels on anything very quickly, and I am very hard on the “push off” from my right big-toe area in particular. The dominant leg will wear out a sole more quickly than the non-dominant leg. If the mismatch is large, then your gait can be influenced fairly noticeably long before the sole has given up the ghost. A mismatched gait can end up causing pain.
That is why I have many pairs of boots and shoes for adventures that I keep for wearing no further than to the store or for puttering around.
So, now that I have the caveat out of the way:
I used to wear Keens for all my hiking, but they are hot and heavy. I switched to Altra Lone Peaks about 2 years ago and wear them for most hikes, and took them on two Primitivo walks and a San Salvador.
Each time, I take a pretty fresh pair that hasn’t more than about 70 miles of wear. They are good for the 367 K plus wandering about that gets me from Oviedo to Santiago, and did the 400+ that added the Salvador to the Primitivo. Both pairs have proven to have plenty of life at home for more walking, and I’ve only tossed two pairs of Altras for being worn smooth and uneven. I still have 2 pairs of Altra shoes and a new-in-the-box pair of Altra midrise Lone Peak boots (for autumn or winter on a Portuguese).
To the best of my knowledge, no trail runner or athletic shoe will say that it can go any further than 500 km without developing some problems. Does that mean the shoe is unwearable or broken? No… it just means the companies advise you to switch at that point for the reasons I addressed in P1 of this post.
Because I get zero blisters with Altras, because they are very light, because they dry very swiftly, and because the transfer no shock to my feet or knees, they are now my shoe choice for any Camino.
I am planning to take the boots to Lisbon in December and to go as far as I can between mid December and about Jan 5th… not 650 miles, to be sure, but pretty dang far with a person who is known to be very hard on her shoes.
Take from this what you like…

Last edited:
I start my 4th Camino in a month. Previously I used pretty common Salomon gtx this year I am planning on using the Altra loan peak trail runners. All walking shoes should be foot shaped IMHO. I had to tape my toes before, but no issues with the altras in practice walks. I am talking a chance on the zero drop as I love my zero drop sneakers and walking in flat thongs.
The altras definitely do not feel as sturdy as the Salomons. However I found walking in the Spanish heat my feet were getting a bit hot and sweaty so I wanted something slighter. I can only manage 3 weeks this year so I expect my new shoes will last for that. I'll post after to say how I went.
I understand that the altras are incredibly popular on the long American thru hikes. Are people buying like 4 or 5 pairs for the pct?

Just finished the CF from SJPdP and then walked from Vigo to Porto in Topo Ultradventure 3. No blisters or issues. Nice wide toe box and plenty of cushion. Shoes held up well but I just ordered a new pair for the Norte in September. If you don’t want the no drop Altra it would be worth trying on the Topo Ultadventure 3.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello! I have both Altra 6, and Keen hiking boots. I purchased the Altras because I heard so much about them. I did not used them on Camino (I used the Keen Mid boots), but I bought them to walk on the Appalachian Trail which I hike sections every year with a group. My initial reaction was great, but I was training with them in flat Florida, when I hit the rough trails of Virginia on the A.T. I found my self free, but unsteady! I’m 65 and my balance and reaction time is not as good as before, so on the second day on rocky terrain I took a tumble and hurt my knee. Luckily I had also brought my boots, and was able to finish the 10 day hike. I still use the Altra on hikes in Florida where the terrain is more stable, and they are awesome shoes. On Camino I used both my boots and Teva sandals on the flat mesetas, that help my feet a great deal! Other people are very comfortable using the Altras, I know specially the young generation, as for me for hard hikes that involves rocks, slippery terrain and steep mountains I stick with my Keen which one of the greatest advantages is how wide the front of the shoe is to allow for swelling and movement! Of course this is my opinion, the Altras May work great for you, and as one of the pilgrims mentioned if in the first week the Altras fit great don’t use them until you get to Camino, or get two pairs. BUEN CAMINO!

I‘ve worn Lone Peak exclusively for hiking the past six years. I just finished walking the CF from SJPP with 10 year old grandson (I am 65 years), both wearing Altra Lone Peak. I trained in one pair and then wore this pair in last week of training. We did a lot of meandering and out to Muxia, etc. Both sets held up entire trip. My grandson had no blisters The entire 500+ miles. I had one due to a twisted deformed toe issue, but small and healed quickly. I wear toe socks. My grandson swears by Darn Tough socks. We switched out the laces to Lock Laces. That was a game changer as well. Once they were set for comfort level, I might have adjusted them once the entire Camino. It made slipping in and out of them a breeze. Tried to switch out to Hoka brand this Camino but glad I stuck with Lone Peak as I had no issues. I prefer Lone Peak 5 or earlier if I can get them.

Attachments

• IMG_9436.jpeg
    IMG_9436.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 78
I trained and then wore a new pair of Altra Lone Peaks for my Norte Camino. No blisters, and no foot issues. The soles were pretty smooth at the end, but still wearable.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Wow! So much good information. I think perhaps that I am going to buy the Altra’s. Hike for a month and then make a decision.REI has a 30 day return policy.
Thank you.

I have worn Altras as hiking shoes for several years and they have worked well, but I agree that they don’t seem to last as long as other hiking shoes that I have used in the past. I recently purchased Altra Olympus 5 Trail runners and they are much more sturdy and have a vibram sole. I wore them on a recent 100 mile Appalachian Trail hike and they seem to be wearing well, and show no signs of wear at all, so far. Check them out!😄

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I bought the Altra Olympus. Love them! I called Altra to ask about the "useable" life of the shoe (explicitly asking how many miles will the shoe remain in good walking condition). I was told 600 miles.
I wore the Olympus 4s along with gaiters to keep the stones out…made it through training and from SJPDP to Santiago in good condition! No slipping on stones in wet weather and good cushioning. Hear that the 5s have changed a lot tho…

I’ve worn the Altra Olympus on several Caminos… Last year, my Olympus made it from SJPdP on the CF to Ponferrada where I walked the Camino Invierno into Santiago. Plus a nice trek along Costa Brava - from Cadaqués, Spain to Collipure, France - a beautiful hike along the Mediterranean Coast. All in about 600 miles - the shoe still intact, but near the end of their comfy usefulness. On the Appalachian Trail, the ever popular Altra Lone Peak has a typical trail life of about 500 miles.

Wow! So much good information. I think perhaps that I am going to buy the Altra’s. Hike for a month and then make a decision.REI has a 30 day return policy.
Thank you.
This first hand:

I bought a pair of Altra Lone Peaks last summer and trained in them a few weeks. Loved the light weight and wide toe box; one of the best fitting, comfortable, lightweight pairs of shoes I have worn in a long time. I believe the 0 toe heel drop contributed greatly to severe Achilles tendonitis. I switched back to Brooks Ghosts for my Caminos this year.

My research on runner and hiker blog sites indicated the Altras had a very low durability.

My sister-in-law, a petite woman over 60, had her brand new Altras (both shoes), totally blow out on the CF prior to Ponferrada. The uppers were shredded and full of large holes/tears.

Your plan for wearing the Altras for a month is a good one. If they work for you, I recommend you buy a second new pair for walking the Camino.

REI has a one year return policy.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My Altra Lone Peaks had tread to spare (even with some training up front).

i would warn against the lonepeaks. you will feel every sharp rock- of which there are many- pounding on the bottom of your feet. i threw mine out in logrono and switched to keen newport sandals. a total game changer. never a blister either!

Thank you. I’m leaning towards purchasing Altra’s because of the large toe box area. I was hoping that could a pair of light hiking shot with larger toe box area that wouldn’t fall apart before I finished the CF.
I did 720 km recently on Norte and Primitivo and loved them. Up one size, glad I did. Zero blisters. Would use again. Worn on heel mostly but still wearable!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wore Altra Olympus for my Camino (San Sebastian to Oviedo to SdC to Muxia to Finisterre.) Probably 650+ miles. I used Superfeet insoles, which I replaced halfway) and thick Smartwool socks. Applied foot cream every morning. No blisters or other problems. Treads we’re great and barely worn by the end. The fabric around my ankles wore through at the very so I tossed them whe I got home. I’ll definitely go with them again!

I wore Altra Olympics on the Portuguese in April/May. Loved them! They lasted for training before and I am still wearing them without issues. A couple observations that may be helpful.

I also trained in Lone Peaks and love them too but they are different than the Olympus. The Olympus is better for the cobblestones of the Portuguese. The Olympus have more cushion and they are sturdier than the Lone Peaks. A little harder to put on than the Lone peaks, but they gave my feet amazingly secure support. I didn't mind the cobblestones at all. The zero drop was OK with me because I have worn zero drop shoes like Merrell minimalist shoes for the past few years and was used to them. I wondered if the long walking would cause achilles problems or plantar fasciitis but they didn't.

The most interesting thing to me was that 10 years ago I had severe issues from knee arthritis in both knees. Between weight loss and strength training, possibly diet change, they haven't bothered me much. Before I left I tried the Topo shoes because I was worried about the possibility of achilles issues and like the wide forefoot, but I noticed twinges of knee pain for the first time in years! Convinced me to stick with the zero drop. Glad I did. Knees made it just fine.

I've worn Altra Lone Peaks for years, for every camino and every thru-hike. They don't REALLY last the whole time, but by the end of the Frances, your feet will be leather anyway. I would say the only time you really need them at full functioning capacity is if you're taking a route with lots of descents - e.g. a more intensely mountainous route or like the CDT or AT, etc. In that instance, I would say you need to re-up partway through. But the CF is fine. The LPs will be worn out, probably frayed, and the lugs on the bottom will be pretty smooth, but you won't really need the lugs anyway.

Seconding/thirding/fourthing the idea that, beyond ensuring there's nothing wrong with the pair you bought, I'd start with a super fresh pair. I have a new pair that I wore for a 250k thru-hike, for example, and I'll save them for another shorter distance, rather than start an 800k distance with shoes with that mileage on them already.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I put 838+ miles plus on my new ALTRA Men's Superior 3.5 doing SJPDP to Finistere, and part of the Portuguese. No blisters, I love these shoes, but the inside of the heel was wearing out before Santiago (so I added some duct tape). I highly recommend Superfeet insoles (I used Green).

These are good if you are prone to wearing out the inside of the heel:
amazon.com/gp/product/B094QNKXRT/ (Adhesive Inside Shoe Patches for Holes)
¡Buen Camino!

Altra Superior 3.5 after 840 miles.JPG

My Altra Olympus lining started to disintegrate at 350km. I got a full refund and am now very happy in Brooks Cascadia 16 EE mens (I am female). A very durable and comfy shoe.

I walked the Via de la Plata last year over 1000km in Altra lone peak 6 no problem and I have just completed 1000km on the via Francigene with version 7 no problem. I would say with comfort I could get up-to 1150km from them. I have 6 days in Rome walking and I am sure I will add another 100kms on to that. 🙏

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You can’t go wrong - just make sure you order a 1/2size bigger & get some Injinji toe socks. My CF in 2019 = zero blisters m. I’ve got my next pair ready for the CP, Finesterra & del Norte in 3weeks time. Buen Camino 🙏🏼

I used Altra Lone Peak 7 on my recently completed Porto to Santiago Camino and while I loved the wide toe box and light weight, I wished they had more cushioning and I’m not sure the 0 drop suits me as I had quite a bit of discomfort initially with soreness along the upper Achilles/lower leg areas on the left leg. But they held up well and plan to use them for recreational walks. Planning to do the CF in the Spring and looking at either the Altra Olympus or Topo Ultraadventure as others have suggested.

I'm wearing Altra when I start in September too. I know a woman who walked the entire Appalachian Trail in them. I figured if they're good enough for the A.P., they're good enough for the Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, j just finished walking from SJPdP to Finisterre via Muxía in my Altra Timp 4. I wore an identical pair on last year’s Francés so got a brand new pair and wore them only a few days before starting this one without any problems.

Two issues to watch out for: the Timp 4 has an oddly long/sharp tongue so my usual low ankle socks would slip under them and I’d get a poking effect on bare skin. My solution was to get new higher socks though that was pricey.

The second was that little pebbles would jump in (I later learnt to use the higher holes to lace up tighter) and my feet ground the pebbles into my insoles, destroying them within a few weeks. I got separate (non-Altra) heel insoles but would have preferred full ones but couldn’t find any that matched the Altra wide toe box! Next time I’ll carry a spare pair by Altra if possible.

Soles and everything else were absolutely great to the end. I’m planning to get the same shoes for the next camino since they worked so well.

Hope this helps.

It sounds like the trail runners should work fine for the length of your trip. I used a similarly-soled shoe, La Sportiva Wildcats, to walk SJPP to Finisterre in 2021 and the soles barely made it - they were pretty smooth at the end. Am planning to walk from Gibraltar to Muxia this fall (850 miles +/-) and debated mailing a second pair to about the half-way point to switch shoes. But I'm leaning toward taking a pair of hiking shoes, admittedly heavier, that I have more confidence will last the entire trip.

But it doesn't sound like you should have too much problem if you make sure a take a pair of the Altra trail runners with few miles on them.

Again, thank all for sharing your experiences regarding hiking shoes. I’m currently walking about 3, 4 times a week. Averaging about 7 , 8 miles per hike a couple of 10’s.
Thank you all for your support, I appreciate your information.
Chuck

€46,-
I’ve been using Altra Lone Peaks for several years (both trail and urban hiking) due to a Morton’s neuroma (scar tissue on a nerve on the ball of the foot) . The wide toe box keeps my toes spread so that the nerve doesn’t get pinched. I’m training in them now for an August through September CF.

The zero drop works for me as long as I stretch my calf muscles 2x a day to avoid problems with my Achilles tendon. I’ve hiked about 70 miles over the last two weeks without issue.

Buen Camino!

I also walked with Altras on the VDLP last year. I started with the Superior which didn't have the cushion I needed and then picked up the Timp 4 in Leon which nearly floated me to Santiago. I loved walking in them. Ultimately, the zero drop proved problematic for me and I won't walk again in them. No issues with durability though.

Hot tip...Forum Sport carries a wide selection of Altras and you can order online and have them sent to a store enroute (Leon and Ponferrada) for pickup if you need another pair.

I also walked with Altras on the VDLP last year. I started with the Superior which didn't have the cushion I needed and then picked up the Timp 4 in Leon which nearly floated me to Santiago. I loved walking in them. Ultimately, the zero drop proved problematic for me and I won't walk again in them. No issues with durability though.

Hot tip...Forum Sport carries a wide selection of Altras and you can order online and have them sent to a store enroute (Leon and Ponferrada) for pickup if you need another pair.
Thank you for that tip. That is good to know!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Lots of positive info here on Altras which I agree with after walking 2 Caminos in the Olympus version (in addition to wearing them around the house for 4 years). Switching to zero lift may require stretching the Achilles tendon so make sure you train in Altras.

One difference to note between Lone Peak and Olympus (other than the price) is the added sole cushioning in the Olympus (33 mm vs 25mm??). It makes a difference in two areas: softer impact on every step so it's easier on the legs and added sole protection on rough rocky trails. You will definitely feel the rocks in Lone Peaks, less so with Olympus. Neither provide the terrain protection that hiking boots but for 95% + of the Camino the Olympus models will work very well. For the really rough spots just slow down and place your feet with added care.

Olympus 5 Hike Low GTX are the best!' trained wirh them for 4 months and bought a new pair for my upcoming CF.

i had a bad experience with the altra lonepeaks as i felt every rock under foot - switched to keen sandals in logrono and never looked back. maybe the olympus give you more cushioning between your foot and the ground. i found it necessary to have a more robust sole so my feet wouldn’t take such a hard pounding on the gravel and rocks. just sayin- to each his own! (i had worn lonepeaks for years prior to the camino so it wasn’t a matter of not being used to them, it was more that i felt they were inappropriate for the terrain.) ymmv

€149,-
I just walked from Roncesvalles to Leon in the Lone peaks. Those in combination with switching to toe socks gave me my best walk yet. No blisters not even any hotspots. When I took my shoes off at the end of each walk my socks were almost as fresh as the start of the day. They let all the rain in on the few days we had some but seemed to dry pretty quickly when the rain stopped. I'm a convert.

I am flatfooted and the lone peaks for me in long walks doesn't work and the after effect is not the best experience but the olympus 5 hike (both low and high) gives you comfort in all level even for a 40km hike.

Have you walked the CF in Altras? I just completed the Portugese Way from Porto to Santiago in Altra Superiors. I saw several wearing Lone Peaks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've worn Altras in the past, tho to be honest I ended up walking most of the last three caminos in my Chaco sandals. If you want a wide toe box, check out the Topos, too. They have a wide toe box AND I bought the wide version and so far they seem really nice. Much more cushioning than the Altra Lone Peaks I wore before.

HI, I walked last year from Lisbon to Santiago in Lone Peaks, and the one pair lasted for that trip. However, this year I walked 1600km on the Via Francigena in Olympus trail, and wish I would have had them last year- much better protection for the feet :) This year I bought a new pair to start, then about 600kms in I bought another pair that took me to the end of my journey. It really is an individual and surface dependent on how long they will last. I use the injinji socks as well.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I've just done the CF in these bad boys, North Face Vectiv sneaker things - £70 on offer from Amazon (hence I ended up with white ones🤣). I had an older pair that I'd used in the mountains so knew they suited me. They were amazing, loads of cushioning for the tarmac bits, and plenty of grip. Really comfy and roomy without feeling loose or too big. I was worried how well they would hold up, but they were brilliant and I can't take them off even now I'm home!! I guess they would be classed as trail runners.
Ps I have cleaned them🤣
20231024_152753~2.JPG

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.