• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Paris to SJPP

larisa

Hello everyone,

My name is Lara, and I'm arriving on August 1st in Paris to begin my adventure on the Camino de Santiago. I'm so very excited about the trip and have been reading a bit of this forum everday and found it very helpful. I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate your advice.

1) How many days should I allow to hike from SJPP to Roncevalles? I'm meeting a cousin there and just want to make sure I don't plan on doing something in one day that will actually take two

2) I'll be flying into Paris and starting my journey in St. Jean Pied-de-Port. I'm having problems figuring out transportation from the airport to SJPP and would appreciate any tips any of you can give me regarding the most simple way to get there that will take the least amount of time.

My flight arrives into Charles De Gaulle airport at 8:35am. I did find a train that leaves around 1pm from 'AEROPORT CDG 2 TGV' that will take me to Bayonne and then on to SJPP but I won't arrive in SJPP until around 10pm. I hope to find a way to arrive during the daytime instead. Any suggestions?

Also, is the 'AEROPORT CDG 2 TVG' station actually located in the De Gaulle airport?

And finally, I would have a half hour from arrival in Bayonne until the train departs to SJPP. Does anyone know if that is enough time to make the connection?

Sorry for all of these questions, but I can't seem to find the answers on the French rail SNCF.com site. If any of you think flying out of Paris might be better than taking a train, please let me know.

Thanks so much for your help.

Lara

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Lara,

According to the SNCF.com site there is a train from Paris (Montparnasse station) that leaves at 12:10PM; gets to Bayonne at 5:06PM and SJPP at 6:53 PM. I am not sure how you get from CDG to Montparnasse - maybe there is a Metro link?

Hola Larisa,

The TGV train station is part of Terminal 2 (2A I think) at Charles DeGaulle Airport. My wife and I flew into Paris last year and while you could continue on to Bayonne and St Jean that same day, we decided to spend an afternoon/night in Paris and then take a morning train to Bayonne and the transfer to St Jean. That got us into St Jean mid-day, in time to book in, register for our credencial and have a nice evening meal and rest before beginning the Camino. The transfer at Bayonne is very simple and should only take a couple of minutes.

As for how long it takes to walk from St Jean to Santiago, that's a big question! It took me 23 days the first time, 28 days the second time. A lot of people budget 30-35 days and most guidebooks are broken into similar legs. A rest day or two might also be needed, or just a spontaneous decision to stay an extra day along the Way. It really depends on how much time you have and how fit you are.

Have a wonderful time and buen camino!

Peace,
Doog

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You can see a map of the TGV network at http://www.tgv.com/EN/apropos/reseau/carte.html
Most trains to Bordeaux/Bayonne leave from Paris Montparnasse; some of those coming from further N go round Paris, calling at the airport.
If there isn't a direct train at the time you want to travel, you will have to go to Montparnasse: there is a direct bus
or you can catch the suburban train RER into Paris, changing on to the metro at Chatelet. Frequent service, but allow 1.5 hours or so to be safe.

Paris to SJPDP

Hi Larisa -

The question about SJPDP to Roncesvalles - we did that in one day, but it was about 36 degrees all day and not a good idea. Next time I would take two. Definitely. There is a lovely alberque part way through with an awesome lookout, great food and lovely owners. I would do it in two days. You'll thank yourself later. We saw too many people in Roncesvalles whose feet were a mess and had to stay back a couple of days just to heal.

Take two days.

Buen camino!

lynne

Paris to Bayonee to SJPP

Someone recently told me that it is a good idea to purchase your Bayone - SJPP ticket while on the Paris - Bayone train. Be sure to ask if you'll arrive in time to connect!

That way you have time to make the transfer.

If you miss the train there are several cheap hotels across the street from the station where you can spend the night and go next day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Paris to Bayonee to SJPP

Hello,

Thanks to all of you who responded to my questions about travel from Paris to SJPP. Your responses are very much appreciated and have helped me to finalize the details of my trip. I leave it 2 weeks; it's coming up fast!

Larisa

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back