• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino @Paula P on the Francés

Time of past OR future Camino
July-August 2023 Camino Frances
We decided we really didn't need another day in SJPdP so we walked up to Orison today and walked back down . Tomorrow, Express Bouricot will take us back up to Orison and we will continue on to Roncesvalles. I'm so glad we split the walk into 2 days! It was harder than I thought! My pack was too heavy and I thought it was pretty much already bare bones! Looking for what I can part with but for tomorrow I am sending it on ahead.

Just the right amount of pilgrims...not a parade and not deserted on the path. A high of 87 degrees with humidity making it feel like 95I! Incredible views and so happy to be here!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We decided we really didn't need another day in SJPdP so we walked up to Orison today and walked back down . Tomorrow, Express Bouricot will take us back up to Orison and we will continue on to Roncesvalles. I'm so glad we split the walk into 2 days! It was harder than I thought! My pack was too heavy and I thought it was pretty much already bare bones! Looking for what I can part with but for tomorrow I am sending it on ahead.

Just the right amount of pilgrims...not a parade and not deserted on the path. A high of 87 degrees with humidity making it feel like 95I! Incredible views and so happy to be here!
Congratulations on being underway! I am counting down to later September, when it will be my turn!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Buen camino! 💙

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Great first day! How heavy is your pack? If you end up taking anything out please tell us what you were willing to part with. We start off from Cahors mid Sept.

Great first day! How heavy is your pack? If you end up taking anything out please tell us what you were willing to part with. We start off from Cahors mid Sept.
Haha...it is still a work in progress! I am really being silly about it. I got rid of a second pilgrim credential. I wanted 2 for more stamps one will have to do. I threw out a buff, I already have a bandana and head bug net. I have consolidated my medications into small ziplock baggies instead of individual small bottles I had them in. I got rid of many duplicate papers of maps and info etc. I am also tearing pages out of my guidebook as we go. I cannot bear to part with that! I have minimal clothes so I don't think I can get rid of any. Rain jacket and pack cover may be needed if it rains. I have a sun umbrella I may need for the heat in the meseta. Also a light fleece if it gets cold anywhere but maybe I could toss that and just wear my long sleeve shirt with rain jacket?

10 % of my weight would leave my pack at around 11.5 lbs. I think it was a little over 12 or 13 after adding a few last minute things. Hoping I will get stronger as the days go on and can manage better! I cheated and sent it ahead for the remainder of the hike to Roncesvalles. It was a good decision! I will try carrying it again tomorrow!

Best of luck on your camino!

Buen camino @Paula P. Good for you to learn that the pack is too heavy now, so that when you walk into Pamplona you can send the surplus ahead to Santiago. Or just leave it behind!

I’ve added the “live from the Camino” prefix for you and would ask that if you are going to continue posting, please put it all in this thread rather than start a new thread every time you post. It’s much easier for forum members to keep up with you that way, and it also makes it easier for others int he future to follow along with you after the fact.

I’ve heard from a friend who has an albergue on the Francés that this July has been extremely slow. He has news from all the albergues in the initial part of the camino (mainly Navarra) and learned that one albergue is even closing for a few days, something that has never happened in July before!

Record breaking May and now another record breaking in July, though in the opposite direction!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Buen Camino!

Buen camino @Paula P. Good for you to learn that the pack is too heavy now, so that when you walk into Pamplona you can send the surplus ahead to Santiago. Or just leave it behind!

I’ve added the “live from the Camino” prefix for you and would ask that if you are going to continue posting, please put it all in this thread rather than start a new thread every time you post. It’s much easier for forum members to keep up with you that way, and it also makes it easier for others int he future to follow along with you after the fact.

I’ve heard from a friend who has an albergue on the Francés that this July has been extremely slow. He has news from all the albergues in the initial part of the camino (mainly Navarra) and learned that one albergue is even closing for a few days, something that has never happened in July before!

Record breaking May and now another record breaking in July, though in the opposite direction!
Thank you for adding this to the live from the camino thread! I wanted to put it there but somehow couldn't find it!
Yes from what we've heard, the camino is much quieter so far this July!

So excited for you. Buen Camino!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Hi there, I start in early September and was booked in at Espinal for the first night. I was feeling quite concerned at the distance so your post is the absolute perfect solution. Thank you and Buen Camino !

“10 % of my weight would leave my pack at around 11.5 lbs. I think it was a little over 12 or 13 after adding a few last minute things. Hoping I will get stronger as the days go on and can manage better!”

You’ll be so much stronger by the time you end, you’ll probably be able to handle 15% on your back. Not that I’d try, but one day you’ll definitely feel that strength and confidence when you strap your pack on one morning! 😊💙💛

Last edited:

Thats the way I did it in April . You'll feel better for splitting it into 2 days. Enjoy the walk tomorrow (and the next, and the next....) Buen camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Haha...it is still a work in progress! I am really being silly about it. I got rid of a second pilgrim credential. I wanted 2 for more stamps one will have to do. I threw out a buff, I already have a bandana and head bug net. I have consolidated my medications into small ziplock baggies instead of individual small bottles I had them in. I got rid of many duplicate papers of maps and info etc. I am also tearing pages out of my guidebook as we go. I cannot bear to part with that! I have minimal clothes so I don't think I can get rid of any. Rain jacket and pack cover may be needed if it rains. I have a sun umbrella I may need for the heat in the meseta. Also a light fleece if it gets cold anywhere but maybe I could toss that and just wear my long sleeve shirt with rain jacket?

10 % of my weight would leave my pack at around 11.5 lbs. I think it was a little over 12 or 13 after adding a few last minute things. Hoping I will get stronger as the days go on and can manage better! I cheated and sent it ahead for the remainder of the hike to Roncesvalles. It was a good decision! I will try carrying it again tomorrow!

Best of luck on your camino!
Not cheating just good thinking!
Buen Camino

Thanks for sharing this. I'm beginning from SJDP on 20 September and will also split walk to Roncesvalles over two days and make use of baggage transfer for this part. One step at a time!

Happy to read your posts Paula. I too, like many others, will be starting in mid- Sep and it’s good to get some first hand on the ground information. I’ve heard about the extreme heat from some pilgrim friends in the south of France. Early morning walks is best, hats of course and frequent rests and keep hydrated. Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well we have made it to Pamplona and now have a rest day! So far no blisters for me just very tired legs and feet at the end of the day. I start out rested and positive and enjoying the walk in the morning. Then the heat and the hills get to me and I just want to be done for the day! I was so happy to see a few poppies this morning...I thought they would be done by now. The wheat fields are beautiful to see also. Tomorrow we watch the bull run from a rented balcony then do some errands at the farmacia and the bank.

You would be cheating yourself if you did not listen to what your body and spirit needs, so do whatever you need to do to enjoy this journey. You are not « cheating » you are listening to your needs. 👍😊

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Just an update! We are in Logrońo. Yesterday we actually took a bus for a 10 minute ride to shave off some miles because the heat is so bad. I wanted to walk the whole way but knew a ride might be inevitable at some point.

I worried so much about the downhills to Zubiri and after Alto de Perdon and they were both fine! Zubiri was very doable I guess because we are used to hiking in NY's Adirondack mountains and they are as bad if not worse! Coming down Alto de Perdon was actually fun! No rain recently so the trail was dry. We just carefully took our time and all was well!

The bull run at Pamplona was really great! Loved watching from a 4th floor balcony right on Dead Man's curve. Highly recommend Bucket List Events for arranging it for us!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for the updates. I start sjpdp August 23rd with a friend from a previous Camino. My view is it's a good idea to start ahead of the big surge at sjpdp early September. Good to read that the numbers on the early stages aren't as crazy as I have read, and the extreme temperatures in southern Spain not as bad on the Frances. Enjoy the great walking ahead.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back